Scientist reports question

This might be somewhere in the manual, but:  I collected a bunch of science while on EVA with a scientist.  This included the Science Jr., surface samples, and data from Goo, barometric and 2HOT units.  I go to get back in the MK-1, and I get an alert, "Experiments you have collected cannot be stored on this MK1 Command Pod.  Are you sure you want to continue?"  Does this mean I lose everything I went outside to get?

Michael

Its possibly alerting you to a duplicate science experiment already in the capsule.  Is there already data in there?  What happens when you go it?  You should see green and or orange text in the upper left detailing exactly what has happened to your data.

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Its possibly alerting you to a duplicate science experiment already in the capsule.  Is there already data in there?  What happens when you go it?  You should see green and or orange text in the upper left detailing exactly what has happened to your data.

You were totally right.  The first of each saved fine.  Taking 2 Goo from the same place etc.  Nice catch.

14 hours ago, MPDerksen said:

You were totally right.  The first of each saved fine.  Taking 2 Goo from the same place etc.  Nice catch.

By the way, this is the benefit of having one of those white science storage boxes on your ship. You can put 1 copy there, and a second copy in your command pod. Sometimes recovering science from an experiment only gets you 70% (or so) of the total value. You can tell by looking at the green bar in the science report. If there is a part of the bar that is a darker green, that means you need to recover at least 1 more report to get the full value. Sometimes you need 3 reports to get 100% but that last one will have hardly anything (maybe 1 science point or less), so I usually don’t bother. 

Edited by MechBFP

After you load 1 copy into the pod, you can also transmit that copy (if your pod still has some control and enough EC). Then board with the second copy. You get a bit more science out of your visit that way.

1 hour ago, MPDerksen said:

can a pilot collect the data and just not "restore" the Goo and Science Jr?  Or do I have to have a Scientist just to even collect?

Things that any kerbal crew member can do:

• Make EVA reports
  • Gather surface samples
  • Take science results out of any science instrument
  • Store science in any part capable of storing science (e.g. by boarding a capsule while holding science).

Things that only scientists can do:

• Restore the goo pod or Science Jr. after it's been used.
  • Take a measurement on a science instrument while on EVA (by right-clicking on it).  Other kerbals can do it from inside the ship, but only scientists can do it on EVA.
  • Crew the large science lab so that it's operational.  (Other kerbals can ride in it, but don't do anything while in there.)

So.  Non-scientists can collect science out of a goo pod or Science Jr., but they can't restore it afterwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.