Building the Future, logical next DLC?

On 3/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, DAL59 said:

All of those are mods though, and pretty popular, well updated ones. 

On 3/30/2018 at 2:11 PM, Wjolcz said:

But... all of this you described are just a bunch of mods.

On 3/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, raxo2222 said:

Its called KSP Interstellar Extended :P

On 4/5/2018 at 5:43 PM, SpacePilotMax said:

It's called Near Future Technologies and it's a free mod.

I understand where this comes from, but if Squad actually adopted this approach, we'd have stopped updating KSP around version .18

Just because something currently exists as a mod, doesn't mean it shouldn't become stock (or I guess since KSP is doing DLC now...). In fact, I would argue that based on how popular a mod is, it should show Squad just how much it NEEDS to be stock or DLC.

Mods aren't supported throughout the entire life of a game. Mods change developers all the time and sometimes that's enough to kill it. KSP, however, gets support until the devs themselves close the doors. Mods are not a reliable way to play the game. They can greatly enhance a game, but they aren't guaranteed to always be around. This is why KSP still has players in 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3. For them, the game has effectively stopped updating because mods they rely on to enjoy KSP can't or won't update alongside KSP.

This is why Squad would do the community a great service by taking the highly popular and sought out mods, and make them available to everyone in an official capacity. People want KIS/KAS a whole lot. And it makes sense for engineers to be able to...engineer, so why not make it actually part of the game?

Now in this specific instance, since what the OP is suggesting changes the entire flow of KSP so much so that it would effectively be a completely different game, I'd say it would be better off as a mod and NOT made stock or DLC. But to just dismiss something because "already a mod" isn't really the best approach. These things often need to be looked at case-by-case.

1 hour ago, Greenfire32 said:

People want KIS/KAS a whole lot. And it makes sense for engineers to be able to...engineer, so why not make it actually part of the game?

Now in this specific instance, since what the OP is suggesting changes the entire flow of KSP so much so that it would effectively be a completely different game, I'd say it would be better off as a mod and NOT made stock or DLC. But to just dismiss something because "already a mod" isn't really the best approach. These things often need to be looked at case-by-case.

No one will buy something they can get for free.

2 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

If squad came out with DLC for a transfer window planner, alarm clock, engineer, Robotics parts, clouds, colonisation, life support, planet packs... to name but a few, I'd buy all of them.

Because then they would be 'stock'.

I wouldn't feel like I was being rude if I told them that this DLC I paid for wasn't working right and could they please fix it?

Well, maybe not Transfer window planner as that really should be part of the stock game. I should be able to plan a trip to Dres without having to use mods or external websites.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, DAL59 said:

The real bugaboo is when mods get abandoned, often meaning players have to chose between abandoning saves or not upgrading. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I think there could be few DLCs

Future DLC (tech that is under way)
Multiplayer DLC
KerbalSim or Kerbal Duna City Builder (life support, planetary bases that needs resources to survive)
Kerbal Wars (more aggressive  way of exploring solar system, with AI that can attack your crafts, BD Armory, navy, lasers, shields and other fun stuff)
Kerbal Expanse (discovery of another nearby solar system with new planets, player could travel between solar systems using jump gates located on the edge of current solar system on Eeloo orbit)

On 4/11/2018 at 3:28 PM, DAL59 said:

They normally get picked up by someone else.

Depends on the mod. Often folks end up waiting months for their mods to come up to speed, and if they're using parts or content that get abandoned completely they're stuck where they are or they've got to surgically extract the broken mods from their saves.

I was pretty bummed when this was abandoned.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, DAL59 said:

... People buy water, but it's in nature and can be accessed for free...

People buy things that are also available for free all the time.

• 1 month later...

Combine the colonization mods with some kind of large scale projects to direct your entire space program towards.  Space stations that are as complicated as the surface colonies but then are able to support large projects, like a space based telescope that generates more science the further it is from Kerbin.    A massive laser for launching solar sails, with the goal of getting them to a significant percentage of the speed of light and going interstellar.  Or a large magnetic field generator placed in the Duna/sun Lagrange point to thicken the atmosphere and start the terraforming of Duna into a second Kerbin.  Maybe orbital mirrors to heat the surface.  Ground bases that act as science generators and when Duna is warm enough with surface water, transplanting life there and leading to varied biomes to explore.  All these things being unlocked in the tech tree and needing a lot of science and resources to build and launch.  

I think a good idea for future DLC would be better bases.  Some of the cool designs I've thought of, or some mod parts too, are too bulky to land.  First could be an inflatable hab module similar to the inflatable heat shield.  Inline, somewhat compact, and easy to build a fairing around.

I also agree that stations could be better.  Either you have a basic one for science farming, or you be like me and try to set up a large complicated network just to bring Ore from the Mun to an orbital station.  Maybe, in career mode, you could generate rep or something for having a manned station.

There could also be a new contract relating to stations: some sort of repair/evacuation, just to spice things up a little.  If accepted, a timer would start, where an Engineer might have to conduct a series of tasks to 'repair' the station, sometimes with the help of others.  If you can't do that in the time, you must either move the crew to another station(if applicable), or get them back to Kerbin.  That could give a use to the escape pods that are always handy to have.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:32 PM, Tyko said:

My decision to buy any future DLC will be predicated on how quickly they finally fix MH.

2 months after your post (and 3 months after the DLC release), I don't feel MH has been sufficiently fixed personally.  How about you?

At this rate, maybe 6 months are required to iron out all the bugs.  That's just not acceptable in a post-Early Access environment.

Edited by klesh

18 minutes ago, klesh said:

2 months after your post (and 3 months after the DLC release), I don't feel MH has been sufficiently fixed personally.  How about you?

At this rate, maybe 6 months are required to iron out all the bugs.  That's just not acceptable in a post-Early Access environment.

As much as I love playing with new toys I think I'm going to stick with the final iteration of 1.4.x (whenever that happens). If there is a 1.5, or any future DLCs, I'm not enthusiastic about being an early adopter. I'll try it out to be sure and will try to provide constructive feedback, but won't be jumping on the hype train to start playing the new versions. That train has been derailed too many times. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Given the current "building the future" is about commercialization of space flight maybe we could see a trade mechanic to make KSP a real tycoon game.

Hmm, not sure I agree. I want KSP to remain Kerbal Space Program, rather than 'Kerbal Space Centre Tycoon'.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

11 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Hmm, not sure I agree. I want KSP to remain Kerbal Space Program, rather than 'Kerbal Space Centre Tycoon'.

With sandbox or science mode plus a real Tycoon game mode it can be both.

Career mode isn't really in either camp.

5 hours ago, mattinoz said:

True actually. Just like career mode, if it’s in a separate mode it means you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to.

20 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Agreed! KSP is about building & launching rockets, not about administrating a space program. What I could imagine and what is IIRC already provided by a mod is having to deal with your governments funding...

19 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Multiplayer?

No.

8 hours ago, mattinoz said:

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

True actually. Just like career mode, if it’s in a separate mode it means you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to.

Please, do not add anymore game modes. It is bad enough that "missions" have been added as a separate game mode. Really, the career mode needs to be fleshed out, but not another half-assed component that does not really tie into the game.

How about as a toggle-able difficulty setting?  I envision more of a supply management aspect, basically taking KCT to the ultimate level

Ordering parts (production runs) from the factories, having set rocket designs in production and inventory, etc. 

Also, have research take time and scientist hours (staff R&D with scientist and engineer  kerbonauts) engineers in the factories, etc. 

Just a quick take as I’m on my phone on my break. Maybe I’ll flesh it out more later 

I think building the present or very near future... like adding the Dragon Capsule, CST 100, Orion, maybe Dreamchaser style parts, BlueOrigin stuff, more telescope parts like JWST (add stock hinges to celebrate the fold-able portion of this), stock inflatable modules like Bigelow's parts, some better landing legs and airbrakes/fins like SpaceX's - these are all parts that could easily be added, actually exist and have reason to be part of a DLC celebrating the current boom in the aerospace industry :)

Yes, I know these parts exist as mods, but so did most of MH.

To be quite honest, drawing a comparison between the parts we got with MH and their mod counterparts is comparing a Volkswagen to a S-class Mercedes-Benz...

And what would we want with even more non-descript capsule and rocket parts? Especially since there are mods out there which do all these...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.