What is the oldest version of Kerbal Space Program that you have?

4 hours ago, TheCardinal said:

I've done some exploring and found an old KSP movie, probably from version 0.13.3. I've downloaded it six years ago from YouTube. I have no idea who has created it originally but is still is a wonderfull (and inspiring) videoclip, so i've uploaded it again to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kswcUtWL4U

For some video's of older versions, i would like to mention the video's of the White Owl. The White Owl has made a lot of video's in the early days of KSP and he remains to be one of the great examples to me. The series he made are still quite wonderful and enjoyable. He still is a member of this forum. You can find more information about the series here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/24496-white-owls-ksp-video-series/&

Thanks for doing that! I'm going download it using a YouTube link to mp4 and put it on my computer. It appears that a Mun Arch is in the video. I don't think Easter Eggs were added for The Mun until 0.16 so the footage might actually be from 0.16.

List of Mun Changes on KSP Wiki: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun#Changes.

51 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

I don't think Easter Eggs were added for The Mun until 0.16 so the footage might actually be from 0.16.

It's from the 0.14-0.15 era.

That's the pre-EVA command pod, which went away in 0.16, and the landing legs weren't in the game until 0.14, so it has to fall in between those version.

The download was from july sixth 2012. The folder dates in the KSP 0.16 archive are dated july 23 2012. The video therefor must be pre KSP 0.16

The oldest KSP version i have is 0.8.2. (November 2011).

Edited by TheCardinal

1 hour ago, razark said:

It's from the 0.14-0.15 era.

That's the pre-EVA command pod, which went away in 0.16, and the landing legs weren't in the game until 0.14, so it has to fall in between those version.

Yeah, that's true. It must be from then. That's Means Easter Eggs were added earlier than the KSP Wiki says for The Mun!!!

1 hour ago, TheCardinal said:

The download was from july sixth 2012. The folder dates in the KSP 0.16 archive are dated july 23 2012. The video therefor must be pre KSP 0.16

The oldest KSP version i have is 0.8.2. (November 2011).

Also True

It's bizarre. Your thread began as just a thread taken inventory of the oldest version members still have, at least, it was so for me. Finding and viewing the video again after almost six years has re-awakened a thrilling sensation i havent felt for a long while. I remember the suspense again while searching for the easter eggs on the Mun, the very long drive to the first (was it the second?) of the mun arches. The feeling of achievement when i finally arrived after a hazardous drive along deep craters. The monoliths never really were interesting for me, but the arches were immensely interesting. Time to go on that same journey again! Thanks for reviving the thrill!

58 minutes ago, TheCardinal said:

It's bizarre. Your thread began as just a thread taken inventory of the oldest version members still have, at least, it was so for me. Finding and viewing the video again after almost six years has re-awakened a thrilling sensation i havent felt for a long while. I remember the suspense again while searching for the easter eggs on the Mun, the very long drive to the first (was it the second?) of the mun arches. The feeling of achievement when i finally arrived after a hazardous drive along deep craters. The monoliths never really were interesting for me, but the arches were immensely interesting. Time to go on that same journey again! Thanks for reviving the thrill!

Your welcome

Looks like .235, from the look of things, though my first version was .18, I think .235 is when I started saving old versions before updating, based on the earliest entry in my old Project Bring'em Home series.

Project Bring'em Home pt1

Edit edit: they did not fix imgur embeds, but it seems there is a way, sort of.

Edited by Archgeek
holy crud, did they fix imgur embeds?!

I started playing when 0.21 was the current version and it is the oldest version I have. Back then, asparagus staging was still all the rage, before the SLS parts came along in 0.23.5 and basically put an end to that. You should have seen some of the massive and crazy contraptions people came up with as heavy lift first stages. Some Eve landers would need to have 6-8 different asparagus stages just to get sub-orbital. It was beautiful.

3 minutes ago, Archgeek said:

Like this monstrosity?

Idiocy at Eve

Exactly. The scary/sad thing is it took something like that to get just the two pods with the solar panels on top into Eve orbit back then. Today, you still need a lot of lifter to get up, but they are much less complex and have many fewer parts thanks to the SLS (and now MH) parts.

• 2 years later...

I nabbed all of the pre-paid versions many years back when they were all put up in archive form, so technically I have the first non-closed-testing release (0.7.3).  That said, the oldest version I have that I actually played at time of release is 0.11.1.

EDIT: Let's have a quick look at that fateful first official KSP release!

ksp073_1.png

The title screen was a lot more basic in the old days!  It also loaded instantly, but that was because assets weren't loaded until after you started a new game.

ksp073_2.png

The Space Center was so much more basic back then!  The only thing you could click on was the VAB, which looked much different back then.  Also, this was ages before persistent saves existed, let alone quicksaves or even the ability to feasibly reach orbit.

ksp073_3.png

The editor was very barebones back then.  Money didn't exist yet, nor did part limits or basically anything beyond about 12 parts to choose from.  For ages we had a useless tab called Decals too, which ultimately was dropped around the time that the context menus were added.

ksp073_4.png

Oh did I not mention that parts have no context menus?  They also have no symmetry options.  Removing a part from the rocket instantly deletes it in this version, too.  The engine you're given can barely lift 2 fuel tanks' worth.

ksp073_5.png

The launchpad also had a cosmetic tower on it, which mostly just got in the way in later versions since it limited the size of your ships to no bigger than about 6m in diameter.  SAS didn't exist back then, RCS definitely didn't exist, and staging was generally a mess to deal with since nothing could be rearranged.

ksp073_6.png

The water texture back then was a default Unity asset, and the water itself was rock-solid.  The atmosphere was thicker than Eve's is now (and absolutely uniform with no aerodynamics modeled to boot).

KSP has come a long way in the last 9 years.  A very long way indeed.

Edited by SkyRender

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.