Kebab Kerman

Jet engine suction and damage effects

Recommended Posts

We need jet engines to have suction force, for example, if a kerbal comes within 5m of the center of a Goliath engine facing fowards, they will get sucked in and be killed if the engine is on idle. If the engine is full power, suction force starts 15m away from the center of the engine and increases the closer you get, until a kerbal gets within 7m of the center of the engine, which is when they will get sucked in. If parts are light enough they will get sucked in as well. I think that parts 0.25 tons or lighter should get sucked in or be pulled towards the engine. I think this should only apply to single-part turbofans. If the part sucked in has fuel or is too large, the engine will get damaged and it should get a new, damaged-looking model and start trailing black smoke instead of the normal white exhaust, and if it's not shut off, it will "catch fire" by which I mean it will start trailing yellow smoke that gradually turns orange, then red, then black, to simulate fire. If it still isn't shut off, it can explode, causing the tank it's attached to to leak fuel. And it should leave behind a damaged, bent pylon. There should be an option to disable engine damage, too, as well as an option to disable suction.

I feel this should be included in the game to make people stop trying to throw their kerbals in jet engines.

If suction effects are too hard or take too long, at least do the second option, with the damage simulation.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

We need jet engines to have suction force, for example, if a kerbal comes within 5m of the center of a Goliath engine facing fowards, they will get sucked in and be killed if the engine is on idle. If the engine is full power, suction force starts 15m away from the center of the engine and increases the closer you get, until a kerbal gets within 7m of the center of the engine, which is when they will get sucked in. If parts are light enough they will get sucked in as well. I think that parts 0.25 tons or lighter should get sucked in or be pulled towards the engine. I think this should only apply to single-part turbofans. If the part sucked in has fuel or is too large, the engine will get damaged and it should get a new, damaged-looking model and start trailing black smoke instead of the normal white exhaust, and if it's not shut off, it will "catch fire" by which I mean it will start trailing yellow smoke that gradually turns orange, then red, then black, to simulate fire. If it still isn't shut off, it can explode, causing the tank it's attached to to leak fuel. And it should leave behind a damaged, bent pylon. There should be an option to disable engine damage, too, as well as an option to disable suction.

I feel this should be included in the game to make people stop trying to throw their kerbals in jet engines.

If suction effects are too hard or take too long, at least do the second option, with the damage simulation.

But then we'd have to cheat to make stock Kerbal cannons!

EDIT: this was supposed to be in a joking tone. Dangit, text interface!

Edited by TheMadKraken2297
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

But then we'd have to cheat to make stock Kerbal cannons!

"There should be an option to disable engine damage, too, as well as an option to disable suction." Options to disable the whole mechanic are nice too. Heck, make it a mod for versions 1.0+. Let the older people have it as well. Or have updated versions of past versions. Like 1.2.2 would be 1.2.2JE+, 1.0.5 would be 1.0.5JE+, etc etc

EDIT: Besides, Danny2462 needs new ways to torture dispose of eliminate have fun with his kerbals.

Edited by Kebab Kerman
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol now we need a Kerbal ground crew doing a "FOD Walk" every morning :D

 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would EVAs work on small jets? I'm thinking of something like a Learjet here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of you have thrown kerbals into jet engines?

You hideous monsters!

I would never think of that!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I foresee youtube videos of horrific meat grinders...

 

it is obvious nothing good for Kerbal kind will come of this. 

 

 

 

 

DEVELOPERS, YOU MUST DO THIS!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see this, but only as a mod.  The increased physics load is the last thing we need. 

But that said, I think it's a very cool idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Juno jet engine is small enough for a Kerbal to not get sucked INTO the thing, so it would be quite cool to be able to vacuum and collect Kerbals using a jet engine.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NSEP said:

The Juno jet engine is small enough for a Kerbal to not get sucked INTO the thing, so it would be quite cool to be able to vacuum and collect Kerbals using a jet engine.

I'M IMAGINING THIS AND realizing caps lock is on. And laughing, but mostly realizing caps lock is on.

EDIT: We could make a vacuum chamber with this! suck all the air out of a cargo bay or something!

Also, we need a cleverly disguised tutorial for EVAing in space. Maybe one of those underwater training tanks!

Edited by Kebab Kerman
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I'm going to find out what SQUAD used for modeling the Goliath engine and try to use it to make damaged engine models. I'll try to make it have a changeable model in the SPH, and maybe even put it as an actiongroup option so you can do it in midair! I've never modded before other than making an inline version of BDArmory's Small Explosive Warhead. I've also never modeled, as I used that small grey tank, I think it was called the Oscar-B. Particle effects won't be possible because I can't do them. If it won't be included in an update, I'll have a mod version of the damage effects for it. I'll try to release it as a mod containing it's own version of the Goliath with damage effects. Thrust won't change, but it's nice to have nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 1:58 PM, Kebab Kerman said:

Let's see how long it takes the devs to see this.

Or you could do it yourself...

 

EDIT: Found what you said.. Nevermind. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kebab Kerman If you can give me a sketch (one in Microsoft paint would work) of the damaged model, I can try to make one for you. For the particle effects, you could use those from the mod Destruction Effects, licensed CC0.

For the plugin, you could try finding someone who is willing to write a plugin for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Kebab Kerman If you can give me a sketch (one in Microsoft paint would work) of the damaged model, I can try to make one for you. For the particle effects, you could use those from the mod Destruction Effects, licensed CC0.

For the plugin, you could try finding someone who is willing to write a plugin for this. 

Well, it's basically the pylon of the Goliath without the engine itself, but with part of the engine thats attached to the pylon, and it's scorched and bent. Thats the blown up model. The damaged model has some fan blades missing and has scorch marks on the back and where the thrust revserer ends and the rest of the engine meet, and on the front. It's also supposed to be smoking. The second damaged model has even more scorch marks, more missing fan blades, holes in the rest of the engine, and on fire. It gradually gets hotter and hotter until it explodes and is replaced with the blown up pylon model.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment, that would be a random chance of engine damage between 100-500 meters altidude.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of once when I was landing on the island runway on a dmp server with a large cargo plane that had low slung engines.

I didn't realize somebody had lined a bunch of Kerbals across the runway until I was right on top of them. WHAM! One of my engines hit one of the buggers and exploded. Both the engine and the Kerbal gone in a flash.

My plane had engine-out capability though, so it was able to take off later.

 

Anyways, on the subject of the possible mod, I would say that pretty much all of the parts should be able to damage jet engines, at least to the first damage level. I know many jet engines in real life are designed to be able to take a small bird and keep going (and take a large bird and keep the failure contained in the engine casing), but I don't know of any jet engines designed to ingest a kilogram of metal (which is the lightest part in the stock game) and keep working.

I wonder if on the levels where the engine is still running, but damaged, could they be made to cause vibration? Missing fan blades would set the engine off balance and likely cause a whole lot of rattling at high rpm, which could perhaps be reduced by lowering throttle. I have no idea how hard such a thing would be to program, so whatever you want. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kebab Kerman Yes, that is a good idea, probably as a replacement for bird strikes, for which you would actually need to put in birds, which would be particularly tolling to the potatoes some people play on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Reminds me of once when I was landing on the island runway on a dmp server with a large cargo plane that had low slung engines.

I didn't realize somebody had lined a bunch of Kerbals across the runway until I was right on top of them. WHAM! One of my engines hit one of the buggers and exploded. Both the engine and the Kerbal gone in a flash.

My plane had engine-out capability though, so it was able to take off later.

 

Anyways, on the subject of the possible mod, I would say that pretty much all of the parts should be able to damage jet engines, at least to the first damage level. I know many jet engines in real life are designed to be able to take a small bird and keep going (and take a large bird and keep the failure contained in the engine casing), but I don't know of any jet engines designed to ingest a kilogram of metal (which is the lightest part in the stock game) and keep working.

I wonder if on the levels where the engine is still running, but damaged, could they be made to cause vibration? Missing fan blades would set the engine off balance and likely cause a whole lot of rattling at high rpm, which could perhaps be reduced by lowering throttle. I have no idea how hard such a thing would be to program, so whatever you want. :) 

Well, because I have absolutely no experience with programming other than breaking websites with inspect element, I won't be able to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this. One little irritation is that it is a rather small suggestion that fuels my desire to suggest a overall overhaul in terms of damage effects all together. The simple crash tolerance limit system has to be overhauled completely in stock that is. Also, engines should have a chance of bursting into fire. 

Oh, and if we go with birds I think monkeys, lizards and giraffes should come next. If you start with birds everyone will demand a eco system and there should be one. Of course there should be a build in menu setting allowing you to disable all these effects for computers accelerated by your roasted potatoe. 

Also add Volcanoes and Saint Elmos fire and make the turbine choke itself. Of course doing that kind of demands a stock weather system because why would we have pyroclastic clouds but no water vapor clouds?

Maybe it is just me but such tiny little suggestions often are the catalyst to fuel all kind of related suggestions on the subject of in game effects also. 

The main question was suction and damage effects on engines, someone mentions birds, I mention volcanoes and Saint elmos fire and the conclusion might be a overal damage, effects system altogether? Hasn't Squad proven to be insufficient in terms of resources to grant all these ideas into the game already beyond the actual spaceflight related plugins which is the only category of content they have actually been working on over the years?

Obviously this is going to be a new mod, now all that has to be asked is whether it is possible to program this. 

Just my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

I like this. One little irritation is that it is a rather small suggestion that fuels my desire to suggest a overall overhaul in terms of damage effects all together. The simple crash tolerance limit system has to be overhauled completely in stock that is. Also, engines should have a chance of bursting into fire. 

Oh, and if we go with birds I think monkeys, lizards and giraffes should come next. If you start with birds everyone will demand a eco system and there should be one. Of course there should be a build in menu setting allowing you to disable all these effects for computers accelerated by your roasted potatoe. 

Also add Volcanoes and Saint Elmos fire and make the turbine choke itself. Of course doing that kind of demands a stock weather system because why would we have pyroclastic clouds but no water vapor clouds?

Maybe it is just me but such tiny little suggestions often are the catalyst to fuel all kind of related suggestions on the subject of in game effects also. 

The main question was suction and damage effects on engines, someone mentions birds, I mention volcanoes and Saint elmos fire and the conclusion might be a overal damage, effects system altogether? Hasn't Squad proven to be insufficient in terms of resources to grant all these ideas into the game already beyond the actual spaceflight related plugins which is the only category of content they have actually been working on over the years?

Obviously this is going to be a new mod, now all that has to be asked is whether it is possible to program this. 

Just my two cents.

I agree with this, I want to fly through volcanic ash clouds and see my engines "on fire" and with plasma covering the plane. Basically, that's easy, just change the texture of the subsonic-supersonic effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm editing images of the Goliath right now, they were here, but I'm editing an engine from AirplanePlus too just because I can.

Nevermind I'll just repost the images in a new reply.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now