I own a wiki

Chel

Hi. I came across a wiki that hadn't had anything done to it. Nobody was active for at least three years, and most pages were edit locked. So I contacted WIKIA and they unprotected the pages, so I set to work. After three weeks (891 edits later), I was given rights to the wiki. Now I completely own the wiki! I'm very happy, and slightly power crazy too! 

http://tanktastic.wikia.com/wiki/Tanktastic_Wiki Tanktastic Wiki, @munlander1. And for you, @linuxgurugamer, it's a free game where you get to drive hundreds of tanks, and destroy enemy tanks. Like World Of Tanks, but less serious (as you get to respawn after being destroyed). It's available on the app store and google play.

Hello. You know how I said that I got ownership of a wiki like a day ago? Well now, some admins decided to come on, and proceeded to revert all my edits, delete all the pages that I made, and then leave me a massive pile of messages about how 'they were going to edit it again some day'. That's right, 'some day'. They hate me! 'You should've discussed it with us' (last known person on the wiki was in September 2017, messaged them all and got no response in the last two weeks). '900 edits doesn't mean you have experience!' (admin on two wikis already, and have created my own wiki that is successful). They kinda remind me of grumpy old armchair warriors. Not wanting to change, even though their logic is flawed. Who knew that deciding to help out a wiki means being hated... 

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Hello. You know how I said that I got ownership of a wiki like a day ago? Well now, some admins decided to come on, and proceeded to revert all my edits, delete all the pages that I made, and then leave me a massive pile of messages about how 'they were going to edit it again some day'. That's right, 'some day'. They hate me! 'You should've discussed it with us' (last known person on the wiki was in September 2017, messaged them all and got no response in the last two weeks). '900 edits doesn't mean you have experience!' (admin on two wikis already, and have created my own wiki that is successful). They kinda remind me of grumpy old armchair warriors. Not wanting to change, even though their logic is flawed. Who knew that deciding to help out a wiki means being hated... 

Just take a look at some of the "talk" pages on wikipedia, everyone is a blasted armchair warrior these days...

If you're the true admin, cant you put in some rules or temporary locks? I know on wikipedia pages can be set to "authorised changes only" (or something) when an "edit-war" takes place.

Tip-Top-Tip: expect everyone on the internet to be a round-cheeked-butt, they self-select for audibility so they are over represented, if you expect them you're never surprised, shocked or blindsided. Treat them like any other troll: block&ignore. If they realllly want control of the wiki, they can go through the same channels you did. You will NEVER get everyone on the internet to like & respect you, no matter what, not even if you're Mother Pope Nobel Olympic War Veteran Firefighting Baby-Saving Hero.

Haterz gone Hate

(...hatehatehate shake it off, shake it off, woo-woo-hoo!)

Edited by p1t1o

14 hours ago, p1t1o said:

If you're the true admin, cant you put in some rules or temporary locks? I know on wikipedia pages can be set to "authorised changes only" (or something) when an "edit-war" takes place.

Well I can't as they are also admins too, and they can edit every page on the wiki. I can't block or ban them, as they will just send a message to Wikia about me, which will probably end up with me losing rights. And on Wikipedia that it a thing, it's called page protection. Or they are just reported to the Arbitration Committee, who try to resolve the issue. 

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Well I can't as they are also admins too, and they can edit every page on the wiki. I can't block or ban them, as they will just send a message to Wikia about me, which will probably end up with me losing rights. And on Wikipedia that it a thing, it's called page protection. Or they are just reported to the Arbitration Committee, who try to resolve the issue. 

If that committee is a thing available to you, then try it. 

If not, perhaps starting a clone of the wiki, and reverting all the edits.  I'd like to hope there is a history of the text you wrote, so you can just copy and paste, rather than having to do it all again. 

17 hours ago, Gargamel said:

If that committee is a thing available to you, then try it. 

If not, perhaps starting a clone of the wiki, and reverting all the edits.  I'd like to hope there is a history of the text you wrote, so you can just copy and paste, rather than having to do it all again. 

Ok, you want the history. Here it is. 

Spoiler

Hi, welcome to Tanktastic Wiki! I'm a member of FANDOM's Community Support team. Thank you for your edit to T92 Light!

It looks as though none of the admins for this community are active right now, but if you need help, check out our help pages or stop by Community Central to explore our forums.

And don't forget to check out FANDOM University for quick how-to videos.

Enjoy your time at Tanktastic Wiki!

• WhiningWinnie

Ok. I know this is an automated message but whatever. Half the pages are edit locked, which means that I can't update info on them.

• Sannse
    Sannse 

Wow, that's a lot of protected pages. Most are locked only to people who aren't logged in or who are very new, but there's no need for all that protection.

As there are no active admins, I'll set the wiki to logged in only, and remove the protections (unless they look to be important ones)

And yes, the message is automated, but thre's always a real person who will be notified of replies :)

• WhiningWinnie

Ok. Thanks!

• WhiningWinnie

I've just realized that the main page is unprotected though. That should be protected at least to admins/moderators (to prevent vandalism).

• Sannse
    Sannse 

I've protected that, but that means that no active users here can change that page. And it can do with a refresh.

This wiki really needs adopting

• WhiningWinnie

Ok. Could I maybe adopt it? I am like the only person who is editing this wiki at the moment

• Sannse
    Sannse 

You can definitely apply :)

You may be asked to put up a message for any other users here to agree/protest about the change, but no harm in getting the request started.

• WhiningWinnie

I have put an adoption request for it on Wikia, and there seems to be nobody else here, so whats the point of doing a message if nobody will read it?

• Sannse
    Sannse 

Actually, looking again there's been less activity than I thought. I thought there were a couple of others around :)

Good luck with your adoption request!

• WhiningWinnie
  • Drestdave

Sannse wrote: Actually, looking again there's been less activity than I thought. I thought there were a couple of others around :)

Good luck with your adoption request!

Yes there are a couple of other around. The problem is, however, that the game about which this Wikia is has a little playerbase left. We have worked many hours on this Wikia and were promised support of the developers, which we didn't receive for two years long now and yet no help is given either. The English community, who used to use this Wikia the most, is considered dead. We, the admins, still log on onto the Wikia a few times a month to see if anything was added and whether there are violations or whatsoever. We purposely locked all pages to prevent them from being deleted or changed as we sometimes have Asian spammers hanging around this Wikia.

As for now, I don't see a good reason why it has been adopted. This Wikia is unsupported and if the game dies, which it most likely will, there's no point of continuing this very Wikia.

• Drestdave

WhiningWinnie wrote: Thanks!

You should have discussed the adoption with the Wikia Staff that already existed first. All of the Wikia Staff remembers have an active Tanktastic English Forum account and they reply there for sure. If you didn't know that, I understand, but Equablez did know that. I will go through your contributions, which we, of course, greatly appreciate, soon to see whether everyone is still like it should.

• WhiningWinnie

Ok. Well when I first started editing, the last edit was in September 2017. So going nearly 6 months without a single edit kinda means that the wiki was dying, so I put in a request. Sorry, but there weren't any staff around to contact, and I did contact you (and all the other admins), and got no response. Once again, sorry for simply adopting the wiki which was dying. I didn't realise that just because the last edit was 6 months ago, that means that the wiki wasn't abandoned. And I apologise for sounding so harsh, I am very tired. Could we maybe continue this discussion tomorrow? WhiningWinnie 11:20, March 28, 2018 (UTC)

• Sannse
    Sannse 

Wikis become eligable for adoption once any admin have ben inactive for 60 days or more. After that time it's rare for people to return, and new users are the lifeblood of a wiki!.

• Drestdave

Sannse wrote: Wikis become eligable for adoption once any admin have ben inactive for 60 days or more. After that time it's rare for people to return, and new users are the lifeblood of a wiki!.

Well we Staff are contactable on various media platforms, such as the Forum of this game and on the Discord server. They could have simply stepped there and asked for promotion or if we could remove the protection. Another problem I'm not sitting with is that WhiningWinnie is the only bureaucrat that is active now. If he, what I do not expect at all, would demote any Staff member and do whatever he wants with the Wikia there nobody who could do anything about it.

• Drestdave

And I haven't received any question about adopting the Wikia. The only question I received was about changing the protection. Nothing about the Wikia adoption, which, could have easily been discussed with the other Staff as at least Equablemonsterz knew where to find us.

• Sannse
    Sannse 

It's not the adopter's responsibility to go searching around the Internet for the admins of an apparently dead wiki. WhiningWinnie tried to engage the admins in a post about protections but only got one reply (and that was 10 days after he posted)

Of course I understand that you are unhappy about the adoption, but the criteria for adoption were met, and so the rights were given

I would recommend talking to WhiningWinnie about how to best moderate this wiki together- if you intend to be active again.

• Drestdave

Sannse wrote: It's not the adopter's responsibility to go searching around the Internet for the admins of an apparently dead wiki. WhiningWinnie tried to engage the admins in a post about protections but only got one reply (and that was 10 days after he posted)

Of course I understand that you are unhappy about the adoption, but the criteria for adoption were met, and so the rights were given

I would recommend talking to WhiningWinnie about how to best moderate this wiki together - if you intend to be active again.

That is sad to hear. Our Representative and Coordinator, maybe the developers as well, will contact you regarding this case.

• WhiningWinnie

Drestdave wrote: That is sad to hear. Our Representative and Coordinator, maybe the developers as well, will contact you regarding this case.

What Representative and Coordinator? Nobody was on the site, I contacted all of you, and I was not going to go to the forum (I don't even have an account). Can we please just sort this argument out and get on with the job?

And there you have it. 

5 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Ok, you want the history. Here it is

No, not that history, but a history of all the changes you made, so you can access them later....

But that sucks....

Edited by Gargamel

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

No, not that history, but a history of all the changes you made, so you can access them later....

But that sucks....

Oh. Ok, now I know what you mean. I can't make a clone, as if I create a wiki and put in 'Tanktastic' as the title, it says that there's already a wiki with that name. And I've got rollback, so I can revert all their edits with a single click (in fact I already did, and got them triggered)

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

No, not that history, but a history of all the changes you made...

... AKA Changelog.

(or something alike, standard wiki goes with "edit(ing?) history")

Edited by YNM

My advice is to make nice with the previous crew rather than antagonizing them. There's no good ending for this if you get into an edit-revert war.

(I.e., somebody's at risk of getting banned, and the existing admins are probably safer than some new arrival who's fighting with them.)

On 3/30/2018 at 3:12 PM, HebaruSan said:

My advice is to make nice with the previous crew rather than antagonizing them. There's no good ending for this if you get into an edit-revert war.

(I.e., somebody's at risk of getting banned, and the existing admins are probably safer than some new arrival who's fighting with them.)

I kind of have to go along with this.

Furthermore, hearing that you were able to be given control over someone's wiki so easily likely ensures I will *never* use wikia.  If other admins are popping up after *a day* and reverting edits, the wiki has clearly not been abandoned, regardless of what a lack of activity might imply.

I'm not implying any wrongdoing here on your part, but i'm frankly surprised you were able to gain control over an existing wiki with so little effort.  Imagine the same situation happening if you don't keep updating the site on a regular schedule (perhaps there might simply be no need to update it), and along comes another person who emails their support and says "gimme".

On 3/28/2018 at 8:14 AM, p1t1o said:

You will NEVER get everyone on the internet to like & respect you, no matter what, not even if you're Mother Pope Nobel Olympic War Veteran Firefighting Baby-Saving Hero.

Haterz gone Hate

(...hatehatehate shake it off, shake it off, woo-woo-hoo!)

Have you seen this forum? I see people respecting people. 

I think this is the internet safe haven of sane people.

9 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Have you seen this forum? I see people respecting people. 

I may have perused it once or twice, yes...

I agree, this particular part of the internet I think is a safer, saner place than most.

1 minute ago, p1t1o said:

I may have perused it once or twice, yes...

I agree, this particular part of the internet I think is a safer, saner place than most.

KSP needs multiplayer.

How sane is this thread now?

Yeah, this is a great place. Except for the EULA petitions. 

12 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

KSP needs multiplayer.

How sane is this thread now?

Yeah, this is a great place. Except for the EULA petitions. 

I agree with that, but this is not the thread to talk about that. 

17 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Safe yes, sane no.  Do you see what we do for a hobby?  We fling little green men off their home world in hopes they will land safely somewhere and not die.   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.