[1.12.x PlanetShine 0.2.6.6, Feb 22, 2022

Papa_Joe

3 hours ago, iceolator88 said:

Yep it’s what I m doing but no effect in game And I don’t have the planet shine icône on the toolbar 

that’s what i’m downloading https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/ksp-planetshine/releases/tag/0.2.6.1

Are you using anything like light ambient light changer? Have you tried it in a fresh stock KSP install, no other mods? 

Also, FYI, the effect from this mod is very subtle, and only visible while in low orbit on the day side of a celestial body.

Edited by Errol

20 hours ago, Errol said:

Are you using anything like light ambient light changer? Have you tried it in a fresh stock KSP install, no other mods? 

Also, FYI, the effect from this mod is very subtle, and only visible while in low orbit on the day side of a celestial body.

So, I try it on stock KSP 1.6 and it works! 

Now I need to find why it doesn’t work with my other Mods :( 

5 hours ago, iceolator88 said:

So, I try it on stock KSP 1.6 and it works! 

Now I need to find why it doesn’t work with my other Mods :( 

Add them back in chunks of ten or so at a time and test in between each. You can use the cheat menu built into the game to get into orbit faster than actually launching, for testing purposes. Once you find a group that makes it stop working start over with just stock ksp, planetshine, and that group of ten, test to see if it still is borked. This is just to make sure it isn't some weird combination of two other mods that is causing your problem. Then remove those ten mods one at a time, testing between each, to see which one is the culprit. 

It is very tedious, but if you manage to find one specific mod that borks planetshine, you'll know where to post your logs (here and that mod's thread). It may not throw any errors in the log, but at least this will get you on the right path. 

On 3/12/2019 at 1:19 AM, Errol said:

Add them back in chunks of ten or so at a time and test in between each. You can use the cheat menu built into the game to get into orbit faster than actually launching, for testing purposes. Once you find a group that makes it stop working start over with just stock ksp, planetshine, and that group of ten, test to see if it still is borked. This is just to make sure it isn't some weird combination of two other mods that is causing your problem. Then remove those ten mods one at a time, testing between each, to see which one is the culprit. 

It is very tedious, but if you manage to find one specific mod that borks planetshine, you'll know where to post your logs (here and that mod's thread). It may not throw any errors in the log, but at least this will get you on the right path. 

I put all my mods back in gamedata (bcs I was lazy to test them one by one ^^) in one time and now it's work !!

So it was maybe the KRAKEN ^^

Thanks for you help :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, fruitsbar said:

Does it work with 1.7?

Answer's just a couple of posts above your question.  ;)

(Also, some content has been removed.  Folks, just a gentle reminder from your friendly neighborhood moderator... please don't tell people what to do; it's not your place.  If someone asks a question that's already been answered, you can point them at the existing answer, or just stroll on by.  No need to indulge in sarcastic put-downs.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 4:48 PM, tsaven said:

What would it take for this to be marked as compatible in CKAN?  Is that something that the mod author would have to update?

This question was not answered... Snark.

23 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Met @tsaven You need to set your CKAN client to look at more than just the latest release of KSP.

menu option

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/User-guide

I've done that, but then it leads to the "compatible" mod list being filled up with potential mods that are NOT compatible with the current version and kind of destroys half the point of CKAN in the process.

32 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I've done that, but then it leads to the "compatible" mod list being filled up with potential mods that are NOT compatible with the current version and kind of destroys half the point of CKAN in the process.

Mod compatibility is a gray area. The only way to know for sure is to try it. A good number of the mods listed as "compatible" with 1.7 haven't been recompiled since 1.4 because it isn't necessary. A mod is compatible until the API changes in a way that breaks it. Unless you see people complaining about the mod being broken it's usually safe to try it, especially if the latest KSP release has been out for several days. 

I've been using PlanetShine in 1.7.1 since it was released.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:59 AM, Tonka Crash said:

Mod compatibility is a gray area. The only way to know for sure is to try it. A good number of the mods listed as "compatible" with 1.7 haven't been recompiled since 1.4 because it isn't necessary. A mod is compatible until the API changes in a way that breaks it. Unless you see people complaining about the mod being broken it's usually safe to try it, especially if the latest KSP release has been out for several days. 

I've been using PlanetShine in 1.7.1 since it was released.

It's a good idea to tell users they can often try older mods on newer installs.

It's a bad idea to tell users they should flip that safety switch to Off.

Planetshine works on 1.7.1, sure. But @tsaven has a very valid point. ;)

Remember: Every time someone suggests to add older versions to the CKAN compatibility list, someone goes into a thread asking for support on a not-said-to-be-compatible version of a mod ;)

Until the mod has its metadata updated to reflect its compatibility, a manual install or widening the CKAN filter is an option. But the CKAN filter is there for a reason.

Edited by Jognt

28 minutes ago, Jognt said:

It's a bad idea to tell users they should flip that safety switch to Off.

Remember: Every time someone suggests to add older versions to the CKAN compatibility list, someone goes into a thread asking for support on a not-said-to-be-compatible version of a mod ;)

CKAN is just a tool for installing and updating mods it shouldn't be used as an arbitrator of what's compatible. A user needs to understand that mod compatibility isn't black and white. Just because CKAN says a mod is or isn't compatible really has no bearing on whether or not it's going to work even with the versions it claims to support. 

Very few mod authors proactively test their mods. Some no longer have time to play at all to know if the mods are working. Most assume they work until there is evidence to the contrary. I've been seeing more and more authors remove the max KSP version check from their mods, just so they don't have to update their CKAN metadata on every KSP release. That doesn't make the mod compatible as new releases come out, but it lets CKAN think it is. Go into CKAN and look up mods with MAX KSP Version set to any. Then figure out which ones have a .dll associated with them. These are all potential time bombs for someone that only wants to install mods known to be compatible with every release.

I've got two mods installed that CKAN says are compatible that I know are buggy in the released version. One has been fixed in its source, but not published. And I put in a PR for the other. If you want the best working version you can only get it by compiling it locally from source code.

Also authors make mistakes. I seen problems where the metadata has errors and allows users to install the wrong version and then they show up here wanting to know why the latest from CKAN doesn't work for them. It was going on last week with KIS users on 1.7.0 were mistakenly installing a version for 1.7.1+ only. 

As for telling a user how to flip the safeties off, a good number of users have no idea the option is even present and show up complaining about being unable to install older mods. That was the case I was addressing with my post. If the user wants to wait for CKAN to say it's compatible that's his problem and he shouldn't hold his breathe.

On your last point, I've had one case where a mod author refused support because I was on an unsupported version. So I reproduced the bug in the correct version. It's now almost six months since an update to that mod, which I dropped due to bugs that the maintainer refused to look at. This is the rare response. It's typically these problem reports from the early adopters that clue in a mod maintainer that there is a problem in the first place and they try to fix it.

If you are going to wait for every mod author to fix their CKAN metadata to show official support for the latest release you might as well be playing stock.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm sorry if this is a stupid question from a dummy, but is the Planetshine on CKAN the latest and greatest, or do I need to go to github to get the latest?

NM I figured it out.  It is latest version.  Thanks!

Edited by jpinard

• 3 months later...

Hi @Papa_Joe! Would you mind going on record if you officially support KSP 1.7.3 and above? I'm asking because I've made a pull request to mark it as such in CKAN, but the devs only want to merge it if I get the blessing of the author. I've tested it, the button shows up in the panel, turning it on and off has a noticeable effect, and I haven't noticed any crashes or bugs in KSP 1.7.3 running with PlanetShine. Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, randall_going_to_space said:

Hi @Papa_Joe! Would you mind going on record if you officially support KSP 1.7.3 and above? I'm asking because I've made a pull request to mark it as such in CKAN, but the devs only want to merge it if I get the blessing of the author. I've tested it, the button shows up in the panel, turning it on and off has a noticeable effect, and I haven't noticed any crashes or bugs in KSP 1.7.3 running with PlanetShine. Thanks in advance!

Given that KSP 1.8 is just about to be released, I doubt the testing required to confirm 1.7 compatibility would be worthwhile.  If it works in your game, I wouldn't worry about it.  I understand your situation since I'm dealing with this issue on other mods, but I'm simply enabling KSP 1.6 and 1.5 compatibility with 1.7 in CKAN and carefully assessing a mod before I install.

I'd rather mod authors work on ensuring 1.8 compatibility and I doubt there will be too many more incremental updates to KSP before KSP 2 is released next year.

7 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Given that KSP 1.8 is just about to be released, I doubt the testing required to confirm 1.7 compatibility would be worthwhile.  If it works in your game, I wouldn't worry about it.  I understand your situation since I'm dealing with this issue on other mods, but I'm simply enabling KSP 1.6 and 1.5 compatibility with 1.7 in CKAN and carefully assessing a mod before I install.

I'd rather mod authors work on ensuring 1.8 compatibility and I doubt there will be too many more incremental updates to KSP before KSP 2 is released next year.

Hi, it's not so much about testing, it's more about the mod author saying "Yes, I'm willing to receive bug reports of user's running this KSP version". And while I understand that settings the compat modes is the usual approach, this kind of defeats the purpose of versioning, because that is the exact info I want to have as a user.

1 hour ago, randall_going_to_space said:

Hi, it's not so much about testing, it's more about the mod author saying "Yes, I'm willing to receive bug reports of user's running this KSP version". And while I understand that settings the compat modes is the usual approach, this kind of defeats the purpose of versioning, because that is the exact info I want to have as a user.

Hi.

You've asked the modder to confirm compatibility with a later version of KSP than the author has so far been able to do.  You're putting the onus on the author to recompile and test to his satisfaction, and he shouldn't, IMHO, rely solely on your report of no problems.  He doesn't have to respond to bug reports for his mod running under an unsupported KSP version.  CKAN helps with this by making you work a little harder to install potentially incompatible mods.  But it cannot tell you if an old mod will or will not work on a newer KSP version.  That's one use of the forums.

In a perfect world, all mod authors keep their mods up-to-date with the latest KSP within a week of release and ensure backwards compatibility with all previous releases.  But this isn't a perfect world.  Mod authors will occasionally not update their mod's CKAN data even if they work under newer KSP versions, sometimes with a use-at-your-own-risk policy.  That's one of the purposes of the CKAN compatibility settings.

Edited by Brigadier

14 hours ago, randall_going_to_space said:

Hi @Papa_Joe! Would you mind going on record if you officially support KSP 1.7.3 and above?

Above and beyond what the @Brigadier has already said, if you hover over @Papa_Joe's user icon, you'd see he hasn't publicly logged into the forums since March 31st of this year.  It's unfortunate but KSP players and modders have lives outside of KSP.  And modding well demands a lot, sometimes more than a person can manage.

Hi there, I'm the developer of PlanetShine, and I can confirm that it's compatible with 1.7.*

When 1.8 releases, I intend to take the time to recompile it.

Regarding the bug reports, I'm not maintaining this mod much anymore, and I had long periods of absence from this forum, and @Papa_Joe was nice enough to offer to take charge of it back then. But I'm still watching from the shadows :)

So honestly nobody had actual bugs with it since years, but if there is something game-breaking (like 1.8 getting released) I will try to take time handling it.

I think I will probably take control back of the mod when it happens.

Edited by Valerian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.