How do you get into orbit around Kerbin and the Mun?

4 hours ago, High Priest Tenebrae said:

It went rubbish because as soon as I detached the thumpers, they blew up the engine.

You've got them attached way high up on the rocket, which means it "loses the race", i.e. the rocket has to travel a long distance forwards to clear the ejected boosters before they move inwards and thump it.  Also, the decouplers are attached significantly below the CoM of the boosters, which means it kicks the bottom end outwards, causing aero forces to move them inwards.

To fix this:

• Mount the radial decouplers for the boosters as low down on the rocket as you possibly can.  (This shortens the distance it has to travel to get out in front of the boosters, giving it an advantage in "winning the race".)
  • Mount the boosters as low down on the decouplers as you possibly can.  (This means they won't rotate so much nose-inwards, so that they won't be so inclined to move inwards and hit the central stack.)

Another possibility that you could do, would be to attach those radial fuel tanks to the decouplers and put the SRBs attached below them, instead of putting the SRBs on the decouplers and attaching the fuel tanks on top.  Why this helps:  It means that the decouplers will be mounted well above the CoM of the radial boosters.  Therefore the ejector force of the decoupler will tend to kick the nose of the ejected booster away from the ship.  This will tilt the booster away, which will then cause aero forces to move it farther away from the ship.

4 hours ago, High Priest Tenebrae said:

P.S. how high is "Overpowered"? (TWR) Is it around 2?

2 is fine, for a properly designed (i.e. highly streamlined) ship, with an appropriately adjusted ascent profile.  It's what I tend to launch my own ships at, for example, and it works well for me.  Other people design their rockets differently and aim for a lower TWR, and that works well for them, too.

You probably don't want to go any higher than 2.

8 hours ago, High Priest Tenebrae said:

Will do!

Good!

May I suggest starting small? It appears that you have over extended yourself, which could be a detriment to fun down the line.

Perhaps try to get a little cube sat into orbit, then go from there. =P

I just made it to the Mun today (YAY) I don't think you need so many parts if your just going to the mun and nothing else. 

11 hours ago, High Priest Tenebrae said:

It went rubbish because as soon as I detached the thumpers, they blew up the engine.

If you are using the radial decouplers that are flat(ish) that you should switch to the ones that are raised, if you understand what I am saying, they should make them separate farther away form the main rocket so the raised decouplers will reduce the risk of the boosters hitting the rocket.

20 hours ago, Snark said:

Mount the radial decouplers for the boosters as low down on the rocket as you possibly can.  (This shortens the distance it has to travel to get out in front of the boosters, giving it an advantage in "winning the race".)

Mount the boosters as low down on the decouplers as you possibly can.  (This means they won't rotate so much nose-inwards, so that they won't be so inclined to move inwards and hit the central stack.)

Did these and managed orbit between 80km and 850km!

Ea7mu7K.png

On 4/20/2018 at 5:23 AM, High Priest Tenebrae said:

Use Sepratrons to push the boosters away when you decouple.

Also, if the TWR is a bit too high, lower the thrust limiter on the Thumpers so they burn a little cooler/longer.

good job, remember everything in this game (EVERYTHING) starts small, with plenty of trial and error, well unless your really a rocket scientist. but if you are really a rocket scientist go science some rockets and stop playing video games. lol

if you havent gotten it to the mun yet the only thing your really missing is adding another stage between your lifter and your payload, a terrier and a fuel tank for about 1000 dv should be more than enough to get a mun encounter then orbit. good luck.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, putnamto said:

good job, remember everything in this game (EVERYTHING) starts small, with plenty of trial and error, well unless your really a rocket scientist. but if you are really a rocket scientist go science some rockets and stop playing video games. lol. good luck.

I'm certainly no rocket scientist! :wink: 

Thx, my friend!

Edited by High Priest Tenebrae

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, High Priest Tenebrae said:

I AM a rocket scientist!

I made a scansat kind of thing which is one stage only! (and the probe) I'll send a pic soon

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, silverfox101 said:

ahhh I remember my first orbit, what a great feeling. Cant tell you how I did it a lot of it was cross my fingers and hope for the best. :)

I know what you mean, and I couldn't have done it without you guys!

On 4/20/2018 at 6:23 PM, High Priest Tenebrae said:

P.S. how high is "Overpowered"? (TWR) Is it around 2?

Twr of 2 is good, though there is a slight chance of overheating stuff.

Also, seperatrons are good for pulling boosters away from your rocket. For best effect, angle before use.

• 2 weeks later...

To get into orbit, go up till you are 40000m from kerbin, turn to desired direction and burn and get to orbit.

To get into mun orbit, set up a manouver node that burn prograde. Drag it around your trajectory and see if it intersects with the mun. If it doesn't, timewrap until it does.

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

To get into orbit, go up till you are 40000m from kerbin, turn to desired direction and burn and get to orbit.

To get into mun orbit, set up a manouver node that burn prograde. Drag it around your trajectory and see if it intersects with the mun. If it doesn't, timewrap until it does.

Dude this has been done for several days now...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.