Kerbal Space Program 1.4.2 is live!

UomoCapra

Was the SM-25 updated with this release?  I dont see anything in the patch notes, but:

MH 1.1  (I'm not sure I like the new stripes, the electrical hazard symbol is okay I suppose)

8sMfn21.png

MH1.0

49ABEA51C67A10FA67EAC33C9587AE219661C6F2

Edited by klesh

3 hours ago, webward said:

Still, I appreciate that an effort was made to release a patch sooner rather than later. Hopefully that means that we might get another sooner rather than later?

I'll echo that as well.  Once 1.4.0 went live, "waiting to get it right" became a moot point, and I'm not going to lament release timeline driving factors with uninformed speculation.  So I'd rather see significant bugs squashed early and often, rather than wait over a month to find out some were missed, then have to wait yet another month.  I can see how this may frustrate mods that are version locked, but some of the bug descriptions posted on the forums since 1.4 went live have so far deterred me from upgrading+buying MH and starting a new 1.4.X career.  I may update in the meantime just to learn about the new parts and how the mission builder interface works, but I think I'll be waiting for 1.4.3 before I really get serious again.  In any case, I was very happy to see that @SQUAD posted a patch before going on break.

3 hours ago, webward said:

Sooo... The wolfhound may have been changed, but it definitely appears not to be fixed.

RCS Build Aid, and Kerbal Engineer both show torque in the VAB, experimental testing confirms that without SAS enabled the vessel will do flips in a vacuum.

https://imgur.com/a/EQ53t

Still, I appreciate that an effort was made to release a patch sooner rather than later. Hopefully that means that we might get another sooner rather than later?

I've had issues with flipping in a vacuum with even sepatrons.

FYI, my LT-2 landing tail-strut on my space plane explodes on any contact with solid ground.  It does not say over-stressed in the F3 messages, just "LT-2 Landing Strut crashed into terrain".   This happens at 0.5 m/s.   I've reverted to 1.4.1 and it fixes the issue.

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

The drag cube will be based on the physical profile of that engine's mesh. so a Mastodon in a 2.5m profile behaves like a 2.5m profile engine, and it's narrow variant behaves like a similarly sized narrow engine.

I hoped it would work like that. However, it's not clear what size some variants are from appearance alone. 

For the Mastodon you mention, it has three variants, all of which have the same-sized shroud, the same-sized bell and on the smallest variant the base is between sizes 1 and 1.5. So there is little to guide us on what mesh size will be used for drag.

Instead of calling the variants Bare, Mid and Full, it would be helpful to call them size 1, size 1.5 and size 2 (if that is indeed the mesh size for drag and tank-matching purposes).  

Even better would be a set of consistent bases that matched the tanks plus shroud sizes that matched that too. 

You know  i been playing this for a while  ...and just wanted to comment on this update stuff.....I love the fact you guys are on point and update and optimize more frequent now, but just one word of advice ...and please do not take this the wrong way....its focused to help you and the community,,,,,  please for the love of GOD  notify the mod makers that you are patching it or changing it  or ANYTHING to the game, so they know to update or modify the mods we are using....Im sure you guys in the dev team understand that 99% of us are using mod to play this....help the modders out  let them know before hand. Other wise u guys are doing a great job and im a huge fan of the game and will keep investing my time and love into it.  Cheers. 

4 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Reentry/aero effect is not fixed. :(

Will it ever be fixed (reverted to pre 1.4 state)? Or "it's not a bug"?

I'll use this opportunity to just leave these examples of 1.3 reentry and 1.4 reentry using the same OPT Space Plane vehicle...

(that nasty looking plume is Deadly Reentry 'on fire' FX from the RCS parts which are burning)

KSP 1.4

A9lwVG1.png?1

KSP 1.3

kC1f3QQ.png?1

Edited by Starwaster

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

I'll use this opportunity to just leave these examples of 1.3 reentry and 1.4 reentry using the same OPT Space Plane vehicle...

(that nasty looking plume is Deadly Reentry 'on fire' FX from the RCS parts which are burning)

KSP 1.4

A9lwVG1.png?1

KSP 1.3

kC1f3QQ.png?1

Agreed. IMO the re-entry effects need a do-over after the particle engine change. I mean, it's not like re-entry is a rare occurrence in a space game xD.

Just now, Jognt said:

Agreed. IMO the re-entry effects need a do-over after the particle engine change. I mean, it's not like re-entry is a rare occurrence in a space game xD.

It's not just particles, in fact I can probably fix the particle issue in DRE once I understand the new particle system.

The stock reentry FX that KSP has aren't particles, it's creating new geometry from the part meshes and manipulating them. Not sure a mod can fix that at least not easily.

43 minutes ago, genbrien said:

throught parts now

That was a problem, even in 1.3. But yeah, the new particle effects on reentry do need a overhaul (If you're lucky there is an angle from which they look okay). Everywhere else the new effects work fine, though.

[Observations]

• Log file shows a number of invalid texture resolution errors
    • Note that Unity requires textures to have a power of 2 in pixels for both width and height for a number of internal processes
  • Flags do not render when ModulePartVariants is on a part
  • Re-entry effects lack occlusion, are rendered in the wrong queue, or have some other issue causing them to show through as if the vessel is transparent
  • Re-entry effects change shape randomly depending on camera angle and camera zoom; zooming out too far removes the effect completely
  • Supersonic effects also have the same issues as re-entry effects
  • VAB has missing textures beneath the elevator (may be related to invalid texture resolution errors)
  • VAB and SPH part list have vertical offset issue when rendering (cut off at the top, overlaps gui at the bottom); only present in OpenGL (Mac & Linux)
  • Wheel suspensions/springs inherit the mass compensation of their previous vessel mass even after undocked, resulting in launching the new lower mass far into the air.
Edited by Electrocutor

There goes another mod build (facepalm). :)

Good work devs. It's good to know that ksp keeps being improved. However, I sure hope there is not another 'point-something' everytime some minute correction is done in some mission. Do bundle up those fixes before the game is updated again! Another 'point-something' every month is wonderful for non-mod users, but utter hell for mod users, so something in-between would be ideal.

Many thanks for your hard work.

1 minute ago, Daniel Prates said:

There goes another mod build (facepalm). :)

Good work devs. It's good to know that ksp keeps being improved. However, I sure hope there is not another 'point-something' everytime some minute correction is done in some mission. Do bundle up those fixes before the game is updated again! Another 'point-something' every month is wonderful for non-mod users, but utter hell for mod users, so something in-between would be ideal.

Many thanks for your hard work.

If you're using mods, you should always keep your Steam copy clean, and have a copy/paste of the game directory elsewhere where you put your mods. This way you can finish your career without version changes if need be.

2 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

If you're using mods, you should always keep your Steam copy clean, and have a copy/paste of the game directory elsewhere where you put your mods. This way you can finish your career without version changes if need be.

A  great suggestion. But I am already using such a workaround since 1.2.! Squad hasn't caught me off guard since then. :cool:

Actually, I am so afraid of Steam updating my game automatically (regardless I uncheck that or not), that what I do is to remove the entire game folder and place it elsewhere in my C:, so that it is unreachable by any update.  And just to be sure, I have a backup too. Still, I also had in my PC a 'testbed', so to speak, of 1.4. , too see where it is going. 

Right now, I am still playing a 1.3.1 version and, honestly, the new 1.4 hasn't brought anything new  that justifies me abandoning it just yet. Not until at least 90% of my favorite 200-something mods are brought up to date with it.

1 minute ago, Daniel Prates said:

A  great suggestion. But I am already using such a workaround since 1.2.! Squad hasn't caught me off guard since then. :cool:

Actually, I am so afraid of Steam updating my game automatically (regardless I uncheck that or not), that what I do is to remove the entire game folder and place it elsewhere in my C:, so that it is unreachable by any update.  And just to be sure, I have a backup too. Still, I also had in my PC a 'testbed', so to speak, of 1.4. , too see where it is going. 

Right now, I am still playing a 1.3.1 version and, honestly, the new 1.4 hasn't brought anything new  that justifies me abandoning it just yet. Not until at least 90% of my favorite 200-something mods are brought up to date with it.

The mission stuff is actually quite fun, but it will probably be awhile before the community builds some extensive in-depth campaigns. It's a shame the missions can't work in career mode though.

8 hours ago, klesh said:

Was the SM-25 updated with this release?  I dont see anything in the patch notes, but:

MH 1.1  (I'm not sure I like the new stripes, the electrical hazard symbol is okay I suppose)

8sMfn21.png

Those stripes just look wrong to me, as they pass over the circular parts of the texture. It almost looks like an accident that they're there rather than by design.

Talking of graphical stuff, I'm a bit disappointed that the male suit model still has very broken normals (reported as a bug). Then again that seems to have been true since the dawn of time, so not too suprised that the fix hasn't been made yet.

But go on Squad... it's 50% of the game's character models after all.

1 minute ago, Freds said:

Oh God! Surviving mars, update for oxygen not included, update for factorio, and now update for KSP. Now all i have to do is to find time to play all this games!!!!   :sticktongue::sticktongue:

I tell ya, we need a time machine >.<

35 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

. It's a shame the missions can't work in career mode though.

I made that very observation during development and got bashed by everybody in the forum.... :huh: "its not supposed to be a contract creator!",  some unimaginative peoole said. Well,  then why couldn't it? Nobody could answer that.

"If everyone agrees, someone isn't thinking", said someone.

16 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

never apologize for polite constructive feedback, if you dont mind checking/adding it to the tracker that would be super helpful

Posting a link to it in your reply would have been helpful.

The bug tracker should literally be pinned to the lead thread of the support forums as the only place to post problems (either regular, or now the MH feedback) As it stands, having to dig through various posts to find a link to where it even is shows that it's not really a preferred way to report bugs---if it was, you'd make it easy to find. I used to post to it, but since I literally have to figure out how to find it every time there is an update, I stopped bothering (I know where to report bugs to mods I use on github, for example).

Wonder if the side panels on the SM-25 keep popping back on after being jettisoned like they do in 1.4?