Kerbal Space Program 1.4.2 is live!

UomoCapra

I kept an eye on the patch feedback and decided there was no point in upgrading yet. Never mind waiting for mods to update, it sounded like too many bugs! And it sounds like this latest patch put some lipstick on the worst bugs and created a pile more. So I'll stick with my 1.3.1 career, thanks, it seems to be working fine with some mods to fix the odd bug here and there. Or maybe I'll just keep playing Civ 6. But I gotta admit, those new parts do sound tempting....

Not that I really blame Squad for this debacle, aside from maybe rushing out 1.4.2. I'm running on the theory that T2 ordered Squad to push out MH when it did to boost their bottom line for the fiscal year, showing a return on their investment in the Kerbal IP. If Squad had been allowed to follow their recent pattern of putting out a pre-release, most of these issues probably would have been solved before the official roll-out. But it would have been too late for their overlord's liking. But I have to say, not having an in-game way to share missions is totally amateur; I thought Squad had grown past the amateur stage. But then, T2 probably didn't want to shell out for that...

So yeah, Squad sold their soul to the, erm, to T2, but I guess they didn't have much choice if they wanted to continue development. In T2's quest to make a quick buck from it and not taking the long view, they fumbled the ball. I think fear maybe 1.4 and MH has made things way too complicated under the hood, and making everything play nice with everything else is much more challenging than expected

So Squad, the fiscal year is all but over. Take your time with 1.4.3 and get it right this time, if you want me to buy MH. I'll be playing 1.3.1 until then.

Sorry to see you go, @monstah, hopefully they will fix this mess soon so you can come back. Maybe dig out your 1.3.1 game/save in the meantime.

Re the mismatched engine with 1.25 tanks: wouldn't that slightly bigger bell causing a bit of extra drag make the rocket that bit more stable?

Edited by StrandedonEarth

31 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

I seem to be having issues with the 5m fairing. The part is now 7.5m in diameter, while the faring seems to be either a 5m faring or a 3.75m faring, both having gaps on a part which is meant to be 5m.

Squad is aware, and have offered an unofficial fix until such time as they can get to it.

18 hours ago, mechanicH said:

please do not take this the wrong way....its focused to help you and the community,,,,,  please for the love of GOD  notify the mod makers that you are patching it or changing it  or ANYTHING to the game, so they know to update or modify the mods we are using....Im sure you guys in the dev team understand that 99% of us are using mod to play this....help the modders out  let them know before hand. Other wise u guys are doing a great job and im a huge fan of the game and will keep investing my time and love into it.  Cheers. 

Every single update is going to change something about the game, and Squad can't possibly anticipate which player-made mods (code they have never looked at) could be affected. 

9 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Every single update is going to change something about the game, and Squad can't possibly anticipate which player-made mods (code they have never looked at) could be affected. 

Since this is true I might point at the issue with the spam messages (happening in vanilla) that did not spam in 1.4.1 .. well never change a running system .. or thing.

I might have not to apologize but sorry as a gamer, developer and programmer I prefer things fixed before bringing in new content without attempting to break things .. and yes i know how hard that can be.

I just want to say this update is super, except the things that broke which worked before. I seen that on many games and still dislike this kind of stuff happening on games, it's truely a shame.

Edited by LatiMacciato

Question:

The Steam Betas tab, which used to allow you to revert to older versions of the game no longer does so with 1.4.2.   I'm not sure if it did with 1.4.1, but it certainly did prior to that.

Is this because the previous versions fall under the old EULA?    Will the ability to roll back to earlier versions on Steam be restored?

Edited by klesh

This is the second "hotfix" to the SNAFU release,  existing bugs remain unfixed, new regressions are being introduced... This is ridiculous.

MH parts that were obviously broken are still broken, regressions in the MacOS and Linux builds are not fixed (SQUAD even bother to test on *nix or what?), FUBAR landing gear are back (wasn't that solved 2 releases ago?), and the "fixes" for some of the low-hanging fruit arguably make the problems worse.
All this for a bunch of content that was already available with perfectly good mods. :confused:
Anyone else get a strong half-arsed rush-job vibe here?

Is this games code such a ratsnest that SQUAD can't introduce anything new without breaking something else?
Are target unity builds picked with some kind raffle? It sure seems like nobody tests them before committing to release an update built on a particular version.

Seriously @SQUAD, why no prerelease, no beta period? This thing clearly needed more testing. At .2 it still needs more testing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the patches... But it shouldn't need 3 or 4 patches after every release. And I'm still waiting for 1.4.x to be playable on GNU/Linux. Yes, I consider non-functional input devices to be unplayable.

20 minutes ago, klesh said:

The Steam Betas tab, which used to allow you to revert to older versions of the game no longer does so with 1.4.2.

I don't use steam, but the KSP store still has older versions available, so I doubt it's some kind of new distribution policy. Probably just another screwup.

30 minutes ago, klesh said:

Question:

The Steam Betas tab, which used to allow you to revert to older versions of the game no longer does so with 1.4.2.   I'm not sure if it did with 1.4.1, but it certainly did prior to that.

Is this because the previous versions fall under the old EULA?    Will the ability to roll back to earlier versions on Steam be restored?

There shouldn't be any problem with using the Beta Channels function to go back to prior versions of KSP. However, some people have tried to revert while KSP is running via the Steam client, and that won't work at all.

4 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

There shouldn't be any problem with using the Beta Channels function to go back to prior versions of KSP. However, some people have tried to revert while KSP is running via the Steam client, and that won't work at all.

Hmm, that might've been the problem then.  I'll give it a try, thanks.

I was so excited about Making History when it was first announced a year ago (or was that 2 years? Don't remember). But reading all of these bug reports since 1.4 just turned me off from it. And MH itself doesn't feel like that big of a deal anymore either.

You get a bunch of extra parts and a mission building system that doesn't integrate into anything else? (the name of the game is 'space program' not single space missions). And that too for the price of more than half of the base game (the game is priced at ₹849 and the dlc at ₹459). As a result I still haven't bought it, I was so confident at the time of the first announcement that I would be buying it on day 1..

3 hours ago, scimas said:

I was so excited about Making History when it was first announced a year ago (or was that 2 years? Don't remember). But reading all of these bug reports since 1.4 just turned me off from it. And MH itself doesn't feel like that big of a deal anymore either.

You get a bunch of extra parts and a mission building system that doesn't integrate into anything else? (the name of the game is 'space program' not single space missions). And that too for the price of more than half of the base game (the game is priced at ₹849 and the dlc at ₹459). As a result I still haven't bought it, I was so confident at the time of the first announcement that I would be buying it on day 1..

You should get it. It's fantastic!

3 hours ago, scimas said:

I think Squad overestimated the community’s interest in forum challenges.  From the launch day live stream, it was said that the MH mission builder was conceived as a way to piggyback on the fun people were having in the challenges forum and to give them a tool to make higher fidelity challenges to be shared etc.  

Clearly, quite a few people would’ve preferred a way to enhance their career mode experience, rather than having another game mode altogether.  I know in the 1,600+ hours of KSP that I’ve logged, I’ve done a grand total of one (1) forum challenge.  Beyond that, there is a big difference from cooking up a forum challenge in your head and detailing it in a thread versus doing the same in the mission builder, having to fight it the whole way to get it to work the way you envision.  

With regards to the DLC pricing, I am tending to think its pricepoint took into account that it was going to be given away for free to many, many potential purchasers.  If we all had to pay for it, I would posit that it may’ve been in the $10 price range though of course that is just a guess.

Unfortunately, this “always free dlc forever to early adopters” policy may see higher prices for all future KSP DLC as well.  

17 hours ago, monstah said:

No, man, it's not just you. I've been seeing so many problems, in fact, I don't even want to play this game anymore. I'm this sad with it, and have been so for a while now.

So, this is it. Good-bye, everyone! It's been a good run, I've had a lot of fun, both with the game and with you guys, but I just can't anymore.

@Vanamonde, @Snark, @Dman979, @Deddly, @TheKosmonaut@Val@luizopiloto, @Ten Key@Darth Badie, @UomoCapra, and all the others at Squad and the moderation team: it has been an honor working alongside you. You're great people, you know you are. @adsii1970, @WinkAllKerb'', @NSEP, @tetryds, @5thHorseman, @GoSlash27, @LitaAlto@regex, @tater and everyone else: there were ups and downs, but to me this has always been a great community, and thanks to you. Keep up! @Red Iron Crown, @Starhawk: I hope you're still out there, somewhere. Damn Canadian UFOs, give us back our friends!  >:( 

Really hope wish this game one day becomes the game it promises to be. Maybe I'll return, then!

Until then, love.

o7

:o  I'm speechless... Good luck in your future endeavors... Hope to see you back... 

1 hour ago, klesh said:

, I’ve done a grand total of one (1) forum challenge.

Yeah, I've never actually done a "Challenge Forum" forum challenge, but I have done several of the "official" challenges in "The Daily Kerbal" subforum, and even authored one. But I have no desire to go creating missions since I think that should be Squad's job, but certainly others would want to. But more parts are always nice.

I would have rather seen a DLC based on a "Rocket Factory Tycoon" concept, getting all the parts needed to produce rockets in the pipeline, which would also incentivize recovery and reuse. And an actual kerbonaut skill tree instead of the current passive system.

But that's just me.

I see a wide range of opinions on what an expansion should include; nice parts make some players happy but others say "free mod parts already do that." That was a large factor in PCGamer's review. Squad did right in my view by including a new game mode, though it doesn't make everyone happy, and new parts, that also don't make everyone happy. But by covering both bases, various MH players with diverse interests, have something new to play with. That's assuming more bugs are fixed after Squad returns from their break. We already know one item for certain will be in the next patch, the 5m fairing fix.   

1 minute ago, FeofileGrotter said:

I'm afraid of mods incompatibility and new bugs, so I'm still using 1.3 :(. Anyway, I tried 1.4 , and it was pretty tasty.

Most mods are pretty chill with it. Im running a few from 1.3.1 and they are workable. Some bits and bobs aren't great but nothing a little config editing doesnt fix.

18 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

Squad did right in my view by including a new game mode, though it doesn't make everyone happy, and new parts, that also don't make everyone happy.

Count me in the "Mods already did that" group WRT the new parts. Those mods even got the basics right, like thrust vectors and attach nodes being aligned with the models and fairings being the size they state on the tin.
As for the "mission builder" bit... Meh. If it was integrated with career mode, or shipped with some pro quality official missions, I might be passingly interested.
But alas, the few missions that SQUAD did include are boring and buggy, and I have absolutely zero interest in making missions (guess whose job this is) or doing anything found in the "forum challenges" section, with or without the new system.
Another nonsensical sidequest system, alongside the existing nonsensical sidequest system, only this time SQUAD expects the community to write the quests... Either lazy or plain deluded, I really don't know.

The only things that I wanted from this update were bugfixes and performance improvements. I intended to buy the DLC as a show of support, despite having no use for the content.
What I got was a bunch more bugs and a game-breaking unity regression. I still can't play 1.4.x, so colour me singularly unimpressed. As far as I can tell, it doesn't even run any better.

Well. It does run a little better. Its really only noticeable if your one of those people who make 500 part ships. I'm getting maybe 5 more FPS than i think i normal would have. Hard to say tho since im running EVE and scatterer.