1.4.2 - Rockomax Jumbo-64 Offcenter

klesh

Hello,

It seems now the Orange variant of the Rockomax Jumbo-64 is offcenter.   It also appears to have a seam running down the middle and z-fighting on the grey tank ends.  I should include the black & white variant seems to be lined up just fine.

eSjwlZw.png

nrYOCVD.png

Edited by klesh

56 minutes ago, Delay said:

Are you sure that you haven't accidentally placed two tanks inside each other? Mirror symmetry does that.

Because I can only recall there being a pipe on one side of the tank instead of both.

Yes.  I just checked again to be sure.  The white and black variant is fine, and the orange variant has this issue.  Pipes are on both sides, for sure.

Try it yourself, use the tank as the 1st part.  Takes 11 seconds to see this.

Edited by klesh

Okay I took a look and it seems like there's 3 different problems plus one peripheral sub-problem going on here:

1. Opening up the .mu file in a 3d editor reveals that the orange tank is just not modeled very cleanly. Parts of it are subtly lopsided, there are split edge normals that were obviously split by accident and then just left that way, the whole thing is just a smidge off-center. No biggie, 10 minute cleanup job in Blender.

2. When they converted the diffuse map from .png to .dds the export settings were set wrong, and the alpha channel was blanked. It wasn't actually deleted; there still is a alpha channel, the image is still DXT5 not DXT1. The channel is just completely full of nothing but white. Since the shader is using the alpha channel as its diffuse map, this makes every pixel on the tank's surface completely as shiny as all hell, and makes the messed-up geometry visually pop a lot more.

2.B. Additionally, the normal map on the white tank got straight-up wrecked in the .png -> .dds conversion. It looks like they tried to use DXT5nm compression but got the swizzling process completely wrong. You're supposed to move the data from the red channel into the alpha channel and blank the blue and red channels, but instead they just duplicated the green channel over absolutely everything. That doesn't give you a working normal map. It gives you a gross ugly mess that doesn't make any visual sense in-engine. It's not the first time Squad's done this either but that's a topic for its own bug report.

Fortunately the .pngs in 1.4.0 are still good, so going back and re-exporting everything the right way wasn't hard.

3. the ModulePartVariants in Rockomax64.cfg was set up all wrong. What you're seeing in Klesh's screenshot is the game loading both the orange tank's mesh AND the white tank's mesh retextured with the orange skin at the same time, and since the orange tank's mesh was modeled slightly off-center the two are clipping through each other and z-fighting like crazy. This took a little longer to figure out since ModulePartVariants is documented basically nowhere but I managed to fix it by sticking both meshes inside Rockomax64.mu and deleting Rockomax64_O.mu and commenting out the MODEL line referring to it in the .cfg.

I'm putting a zip up on dropbox that replaces all problem files; just dump its contents into the GameData\Squad\Parts\FuelTank\RockomaxTanks\ folder, overwriting as necessary (obviously make a backup of the folder first because better safe than sorry). Let me know if this works or breaks anything, but I'm not gonna reply right away cause it's waaay after sleepy-time now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cbhgyosuzwq7fc/Rockofix.zip?dl=0

mez5NkL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/03/2018 at 8:21 AM, Sam Hall said:

Fortunately the .pngs in 1.4.0 are still good, so going back and re-exporting everything the right way wasn't hard.

Well done! I hadn't thought to look into 1.4.0 and I've build my own. If I had thought it, I would have saved my time...

Otherwise, I wonder what the hell they could have been thinking when they decided to use two models in the same object, they don't know what we can do in cfg parts?? And, the cherry on top, they don't use the good name in game object choice by using "Rockomax_64" instead of "Rocko64".  This new Jumbo was really made by throw it in (and without any test).

(A little minor mistake has crept into your model, some names of texture in material are wrong and result some error in log)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.