What were they thinking?

NavyFish

So I finally fired up 'Making History' this evening. Decided to play the first mission.

I'm a bit of a completionist when I play video games. So I took their various challenges to heart - land my first sounding rocket at the island airfield, fly through the 3 aerial waypoints with my 2nd rocket... Mind you, these took several attempts with 'revert to launchpad' in between, but no shame in that. So all said and done, 2 hours or so later I'm beginning the 3rd segment of this first mission.

I launch and only then notice a staging error - launch clamps before main engine start, whoops!  But suddenly, before I can revert to launch, a dialogue box pops up informing me that I've failed the mission.  And I have no recourse.. no ability to revert to launch or VAB or anything. Even the somewhat hidden/obscure quickload feature didn't work.

And like that, three hours of gameplay down the drain in an instant. Needless to say this was extremely disheartening. I quit the game in frustration and came here. Seriously, Squad?  What the heck were you thinking? 

Edited by NavyFish

"Making History" yeah, definitely historic. Since in real historic spaceflight, there's no "revert to VAB"

But I agree with you, KSP is a game, so at least there should be a feature to load savegame, even a checkpoint autosave is okay, just in case if something goes wrong. Being the 1st DLC of KSP, this lack of feature might put off new players

Edited by ARS

Yet there were plenty of 'revert to VABs' throughout those 3 hours of gameplay. Missing the 3rd aerial waypoint by less than a km, ugh.. 

And only once I did the most kerbal of kerbal goofs - a launchpad staging error - am I finally prevented from reverting.  Inconsistent, sloppy. And yeah that would scare off a new player in a heartbeat.

I had something similar in the same step. In my case the rocket actually bounced on landing pad once the scene ended loading, instant mission failure without a way to recover. For bonus points, I exited to main screen loaded back and was greeted by bugged scene, floating in space with dials at 999 without Kerbin or anything else. Amazing.

I had a similar 'bounce' happen as well, though fortunately earlier in the play session. Figured it was a fluke. Sounds like it wasn't.

It's like they didn't even playtest the thing. 

And then 1.4.2 comes out with a a veritable laundry list of bugfixes... what's going on over there guys..

7 hours ago, ARS said:

"Making History" yeah, definitely historic. Since in real historic spaceflight, there's no "revert to VAB"

But I agree with you, KSP is a game, so at least there should be a feature to load savegame, even a checkpoint autosave is okay, just in case if something goes wrong. Being the 1st DLC of KSP, this lack of feature might put off new players

or at the very least a "hard mode" where you can't save/revert and a "normal mode" where you can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.