Anyone else having trouble with the 5m fairing being oversized?

A configuration entry is missing for the 5m fairing, and we'd like to offer an unofficial workaround in the meantime until the next patch.

Close the game.

Find the following file and open it in a text editor.

"PATH\TO|\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\MakingHistory\Parts\Payload\fairingSize4.cfg"

Add the following line between the closing curly brace and node_stack_interstage01a

rescaleFactor = 1

The result should look like this

MODEL 
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/AutoTruss
		scale = 4,4,4
		position = 0.0,0.22,0.0
	}

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_interstage01a = 0.0, 2.17, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_interstage01b = 0.0, 2.27, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

Save the file and the fairing shell will no longer have the gaps when used.

This is an unsupported workaround, and If you are not comfortable with editing files, then please wait until the next patch.

12 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

This appears to have been broken in the 1.4.2 update.  The 5m fairing in 1.4.1 was fine.

True, even more problems. Whenever they try to fix something, they hardly fix it and cause trillions of other problems. I heard that one of the components of Kopernicus is having issues. Oh no... :P

Edited by Wilhelm Kerman

13 hours ago, Squelch said:

A configuration entry is missing for the 5m fairing, and we'd like to offer an unofficial workaround in the meantime until the next patch.

Close the game.

Find the following file and open it in a text editor.

"PATH\TO|\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\MakingHistory\Parts\Payload\fairingSize4.cfg"

Add the following line between the closing curly brace and node_stack_interstage01a

rescaleFactor = 1

The result should look like this

MODEL 
	{
		model = Squad/Parts/Aero/fairings/AutoTruss
		scale = 4,4,4
		position = 0.0,0.22,0.0
	}

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_interstage01a = 0.0, 2.17, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	node_stack_interstage01b = 0.0, 2.27, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

Save the file and the fairing shell will no longer have the gaps when used.

This is an unsupported workaround, and If you are not comfortable with editing files, then please wait until the next patch.

Thank you, it worked!

If you know "just enough to be dangerous" to yourself and make a backup copy of the cfg file with a different name, and put it just about anywhere in the Parts sub-folders... the very helpful loading process may find this backup, leading to other problems.  Do not leave any "helpful backup" anywhere in the Parts sub-folders, its best kept outside the KSP folder tree in its own special place. 

And thus, I spent half an hour wondering why R&D was filling up with 5M parts that I would purchase for use, only to go into the VAB and find that I still needed to purchase them, looping back and forth between VAB and R&D, with a side-trip into the persistent file to see what it looked like in there (a growing list) until it dawned on me that I was fighting with my "helpful backup" parts. lol. 

It's all good now :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.