I standed 3 kerbals on Duna's north pole

There are an almost infinite number of answers to that question, and you're asking KSP players...

If you want more specific answers, we'll need a bit more information. Are you playing career or sandbox? Do you have Making History or any mods? What sort of KSP experience do you already have?

In more general terms, best bet is probably to build some sort of interplanetary tug with a docking port on it that can push a rescue craft out to Duna and back, and a lander that can go down to Duna and bring them back up to the tug. You've got to Duna at least once, so now you need to go there again, but with enough stuff to get back :) 

It's also worth watching some Youtube videos, a search for 'Duna Rescue Mission' should bring up some stuff that'll point you in the right direction.

Yeah, we need a bit more info, definitely. The poles aren't really a problem -- it costs very little to create a polar obit at Duna, before you enter the SOI. And Ike is not in the way when you are going for a polar orbit.

I assume that you broke your lander when you touched down? Is there anything in orbit waiting to take the kerbals back to Kerbin? Or was the lander going to perform that job? But yeah, we need to know whether this is sandbox or career, at the very least.

15 hours ago, NASAbulbafan said:

I stranded 3 of my kerbals on duna. to make it harder, the north pole. can someone help?

I feel ya there. I had the same issue when I first tried to land on Duna. My best bet was getting more experience as my kerbals couldnt starve to death, you know, they dont need food and stuff. So I picked em back up after watching a ton of youtube videos about lost kerbals on duna. Good luck!

3 hours ago, NASAbulbafan said:

It exploded and only the command pod is left.

Remember when Matt Damon got stuck on Mars and Donald Glover saved him with a stapler, a pen and Jeff Daniels from Dumb and Dumber?

Do that.

Edited by Greenfire32

48 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

Remember when Matt Damon got stuck on Mars and Donald Glover saved him with a stapler, a pen and Jeff Daniels from Dumb and Dumber?

Do that.

Ok thanks!

On 3/29/2018 at 6:33 PM, Jimmidii said:

There are an almost infinite number of answers to that question, and you're asking KSP players...

If you want more specific answers, we'll need a bit more information. Are you playing career or sandbox? Do you have Making History or any mods? What sort of KSP experience do you already have?

In more general terms, best bet is probably to build some sort of interplanetary tug with a docking port on it that can push a rescue craft out to Duna and back, and a lander that can go down to Duna and bring them back up to the tug. You've got to Duna at least once, so now you need to go there again, but with enough stuff to get back :) 

It's also worth watching some Youtube videos, a search for 'Duna Rescue Mission' should bring up some stuff that'll point you in the right direction.

I have mechjeb and kerbal alarm clock. I also have making history and I’m probably an intermediate player

One answer not yet here is to exercise patience. Stock KSP doesn't have life support constraints, so you can take your time getting a rescue craft out there and then back. The transfer window calculator helps when you're playing a pure stock game, and if you're OK with add-ons, Transfer Window Planner will show you the ejection angles you want to plan your manouvres around, right on the map screen.

When using an efficient encounter, Duna is very friendly to newbies. A significant but light atmosphere makes for great aerobraking to save on fuel, even with a polar approach.

Getting back will be a bit more expensive though, unless you want to wait for your orbit to align with Duna's orbit around the sun and match up with a Kerbin transfer window at the exact same time. What might help is to "wind up" the orbit out near Ike's orbit say, then change your orbit plane out at apoapsis; changing your orbital plane from a polar one to an equatorial one will be a lot less expensive out at AP. Then you can line that orbit up with a 'normal' equatorial ejection burn back toward Kerbin, and not need as much thrust since your speed down at periapsis will be a lot faster already.

Do you have your save file handy? I might be able to demonstrate, Matt Lowne Blunderbirds-style.

If you have a ship in orbit, and have enough TWR to land on Duna and delta V to come back to kerbin, you can try to use it.

Or you can always launch a rescue mission, with a bigger and more powerfull landing craft. If you have a return vessel from the original mission in orbit, the rescue ship can stay in Duna's orbit.

I'm very careful with my Kerbals - i have the 'no kerbal die, no kerbal are left behind policy', so, my kerbaled missions usually involve a rescue plan when possible - even if it means to abandon some part of the mission. I usually send 2 landers, except when landing on Eve or Tylo.... If something bad happens there.... they will be stranded for a long time....

Edited by Freds

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.