Mk 2 pod doesn't float right

I think this would require changing the COM of the capsule. And I'm not sure there is a way to do it to a degree that it would float like you want and fly acceptable? Now that I'm seeing some new air bag parts show up. I was thinking of rummaging through my old drive and see if I could find those cool old Klockheed Marten Airbag parts that stopped working and see if I could figure out how to get the buoyancy going again?  They had a pair of side saddle Gemini style bags. If you had something like that you could just drop the buoyancy on the pod way  down and let the bags take the load. Problem is most of the new air bag mods I have seen "I think" are mostly aesthetic. I don't think any of them change the buoyancy when they inflate like the old Klockheed marten bags did.  Sorry maybe someone else knows better than me but I think the COM determines how your capsule floats.           

34 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Not sure, but I actually think it's modeled after the Mercury pod, otherwise it would have a 2 crew capacity. 

I think he is talking about the new MK2 in the DLC ? It does have 2 crew and is modelled after the Gemini.

Edited by Delbrutis

1 hour ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

AHA, he never mentioned that. Thanks. 

Well, considering this is the Making History Discussion board, and the Mk 2 is specified in the title, and that I specifically mentioned Gemini, isn't it kinda implied that I'm talking about the Mk 2? :rolleyes:

I'm looking at @Icecovery's Comfortable Landing mod, it does appear to have code that changes the buoyancy and CoM when inflated.  I'll take a look at that.

Edit: ok, judging by his code for the BDB and FASA gemini capsules, his config for the mk 2 isn't set up to actually change anything, so I'll have to play around with it, but it looks like it'll work.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Well, considering this is the Making History Discussion board, and the Mk 2 is specified in the title, and that I specifically mentioned Gemini, isn't it kinda implied that I'm talking about the Mk 2? :rolleyes:

Alright, alright, sheesh. I didn't notice the sub-forum. 

10 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I'm looking at @Icecovery's Comfortable Landing mod, it does appear to have code that changes the buoyancy and CoM when inflated.  I'll take a look at that.

Edit: ok, judging by his code for the BDB and FASA gemini capsules, his config for the mk 2 isn't set up to actually change anything, so I'll have to play around with it, but it looks like it'll work.

Yes, I didn't actually set it up, for some reason, it didn't work very well. If you make it work please let me know, so I can add it to the next version of the update. :D

10 hours ago, klesh said:

Mercury is the Mk1 pod.  Gemini is Mk2, Apollo is Mk1-3..

Mk2 pod is the Gemini capsule.  Mk2 cockpit and inline are the Mk2-profile spaceplane parts.  Size 1 is 1.25m, Size 1.5 is 1.875m, size 2 is 2.5m, size 3 is 3.75m, presumably 5m is size 4?  Mk3 is pretty clear, and Mk1 is (I guess) 1.25m spaceplane/airplane parts?

These are not logical conventions... but it's what we have?

13 hours ago, Icecovery said:

Yes, I didn't actually set it up, for some reason, it didn't work very well. If you make it work please let me know, so I can add it to the next version of the update. :D

ok, I used the same offsets as your config for the BDB and FASA Gemini capsules, it still wants to float upright and when I tip it over it still likes to float very high in the water.  If I'm lucky the swells kiss the bottom of the flotation bag.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.