Was this engine-shroud-bug ever fixed?

I've seen this issue in my games for years now, and I've always assumed it was normal.  Or rather... it was considered to be a low-priority problem that wasn't going to get fixed any time soon.  But maybe there has been a fix discovered at some point and I just never heard of it.

To those not familiar with what I'm talking about.  Sometimes, in flight, a shroud that's covering an inactive engine will start to... drift away.  It's still part of the craft, but it acts like it's been let loose.  Moving to another craft and then coming back will re-center the shroud (usually), but the problem will often come back.  It's not a big issue, but it can be pretty glaring.

So yeah, I saw that in the latest 1.4 update it is still there.  So... have there been any fixes people have found?

2QAcTyn.png

Edited by PTNLemay

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, adm-frb said:

Still not fixed. As an addendum to the original poster, I've also noticed this with the heatshield shroud (2.5m) version anyway... 

You can see it happening to his 1.25m heatshield in his picture as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, adm-frb said:

:) I wonder if turning off the shroud and using a fairing instead might work... I'll have to experiment!

Never managed to test this idea... However I did discover a way round it by installing a 'cough' mod [Yes I know this is area of the forum is for unmodded installs.]

By installing [1.4.3] Decoupler Shroud by navot, you can get round it. When DecouplerShroud is enabled it switches off the stock shroud of the engine or heatshield.  

Mod thread:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/170781-143-decoupler-shroud/&tab=comments#comment-3292165

On 7/14/2018 at 3:23 AM, adm-frb said:

I've been really noticing this problem myself (guess it wasn't an issue in 1.3? 'cause I didn't notice it there). I'm specifically have this problem with shrouds on Heat Shields, not just engines. It seems pretty inconsistent, too. Sometimes a craft will load just fine, run for a while, then boom the shroud gets wonky. 

Has anyone else used the Decoupler Shroud mod?

Edited by scottadges

1 hour ago, scottadges said:

I've been really noticing this problem myself (guess it wasn't an issue in 1.3? 'cause I didn't notice it there). I'm specifically have this problem with shrouds on Heat Shields, not just engines. It seems pretty inconsistent, too. Sometimes a craft will load just fine, run for a while, then boom the shroud gets wonky. 

Has anyone else used the Decoupler Shroud mod?

No idea...

But ever since I installed it, I've not once used the stock shrouds

• 2 weeks later...

It has been around for ages even before 1.3

It tends to happen to me only on Interplanetary vessels.

Switching to a more distant vessel or KSC and back often seems to reload the vessel correctly.

I reported it in the bug tracker ages ago with pictures.

Maybe the devs feel that as most players never go interplanetary it's a low priority or perhaps it is beyond their abilities to fix.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:11 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

@blorgon Does this happened in 1.4.5? The bug is mentioned to be fixed in the patch notes.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:12 PM, blorgon said:

So turns out I actually am still experiencing this in 1.4.5. I'm running a modded install though so I'm gonna go through my mods first.

I just checked out essentially the same craft I posted above, this time in 1.4.5, and I see no problems.  Please do check them mods to see if that is the issue.

a0Ak9Zj.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.