This one will be the hottest ride in the livery. (Parker Solar Probe)

PB666

2 hours ago, wumpus said:

Escape velocity of Sun is ~617 km/s.  As close as it gets to the Sun, I'm not sure it can remain orbiting if it isn't going roughly that fast.

?
It's already orbiting round the galaxy at 220 km/s speed, regardless of its efforts.

Edited by kerbiloid

Somehow I missed it. Heat exhaustion beat the phone alarm. I got up like 45 min later to hear the confirmation of solar panel deployment.

It was a great launch, everything went according to plan. Parker Solar probe and Star-48BV stage are on a trajectory to the corona. Interesting to know - the SRB stage will outlive the probe as its nozzle is carbon, and tank is titanium. :)

4 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Somehow I missed it. Heat exhaustion beat the phone alarm. I got up like 45 min later to hear the confirmation of solar panel deployment.

It was a great launch, everything went according to plan. Parker Solar probe and Star-48BV stage are on a trajectory to the corona. Interesting to know - the SRB stage will outlive the probe as its nozzle is carbon, and tank is titanium. :)

Presumably the heat shield will outlive both.

I wonder what will happen first: sun-induced sputtering that significantly changes the orbit of the derelict vehicle, or an accidental close encounter with Venus that sends it out of its intended orbit?

Firstly congrats to ULA and everybody involved on a great launch!

Does anybody have more information on the telemetry outages on stage 3 during launch? Either nothing has been made public, or my google-fu has abandoned me.

6 hours ago, Reactordrone said:

I wonder is the telemetry drop outs were due to the spin up of the Star 48 stage?

(assuming it was spun up. the BV version does have a vectoring nozzle)

It's a BV version, so it does not spin. It just uses that vectoring nozzle to keep orientation.

I haven't heard why the telemetry problems occured, either. And I can't find the probe on NASA's eyes.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:47 AM, sevenperforce said:

Presumably the heat shield will outlive both.

I wonder what will happen first: sun-induced sputtering that significantly changes the orbit of the derelict vehicle, or an accidental close encounter with Venus that sends it out of its intended orbit?

The probe itself is going to use 7 different gravity assists to get the delta-v needed to drop the orbit so close to the sun. I expect that unguided debris like the booster will get kicked away in some random direction by one of the first few Venus encounters. Or possibly dive into Venus.

14 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

The probe itself is going to use 7 different gravity assists to get the delta-v needed to drop the orbit so close to the sun. I expect that unguided debris like the booster will get kicked away in some random direction by one of the first few Venus encounters. Or possibly dive into Venus.

Was my understanding that the solid kick motor was not going to be detached.

8 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Was my understanding that the solid kick motor was not going to be detached.

OK, well if that's the case then I guess it will be along for the ride. Kind of like a dog in the car. Doesn't know where they are going or why they are going there, but hopes it will be fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.