SPACE ENGINE: The highest graphics game ever made.

DAL59

This is not some super computer visulization that takes hours to make- this is what it looks like in real time on my computer too.  Space Engine simulates a photorealistic galaxy the same size as our own, with n-body physics and realistic planets.  Not just that- there are also billions of other, full scale galaxies to explore.  There are no loading screens: the entire game is seamless- so while FTL is available, nothing is stopping you from travelling between stars at STL speeds.  It will soon include multiplayer.  There are no objectives: just peaceful exploring. Did I mention its 

FREE!!!

I love this game simulatior software interactive work of art.

I am absolutely in love with this, i will seriously ascend into the heavens from my computer chair if they add in space colonization, or they make this an engine for other games to use.

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I love this game simulatior software interactive work of art.

I am absolutely in love with this, i will seriously ascend into the heavens from my computer chair if they add in space colonization, or they make this an engine for other games to use.

Remember, this has one developer, and he was able to make better visuals than KSP has. :wink: Hint hint.

10 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Remember, this has one developer, and he was able to make better visuals than KSP has. :wink: Hint hint.

Hate going down this road, but, it appears to be a custom engine, not Unity, Devs didn't have the resources to build a custom engine back in the alpha days.  Maybe for KSP 2 though......

9 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Hate going down this road, but, it appears to be a custom engine, not Unity, Devs didn't have the resources to build a custom engine back in the alpha days.  Maybe for KSP 2 though......

Are 2-d clouds such a strech though?

Space Engine realy points out the huge problem of KSPs extremly outdated graphics. They have made millions with that game, it would only be fair to invest that in better visuals. Even mods like scatterer cant hide the fact that KSPs planets are just empty plains with a few rocks...

Space Engine doesn't currently have n-body simulation yet. It will be worked on in the future but for now, all planets are generated on rails using various formulas to make it as realistic as possible.
Other than that, it is one of the best space simulation programs I have ever come across. The fact that one person, Vlad aka the Space Engineer, has done this pretty much by himself bar a few contributions over 17 years in his free time is absolutely amazing and he relies almost solely on donations (Overview was a major success and won an award pretty much apoun release so now he is getting revenue from that too).

He also doesn't announce a release date so people don't pound him if he said a date and it doesn't come out on that date. He just says it will be done when it's done.

The 0.990 update looks absolutely gorgeous! The fact is that it will be a massive overhaul. It rewrites a ton of code to make the game better while still using virtually the same amount of RAM, GPU and CPU power, Dynamic HDR is being introduced, Planets now have a massive overhaul of classification so now they are more specific, Individual Material Density is now taken into account to calculate the size of planets more accurately, The game also simulates the lifecycle of a planet before it is generated so the sample of planets in SE compared to the real world will be more accurate (Like for instance, world forms with water but a bit too close to the sun, it evaporates enough to trigger a runaway greenhouse and becomes a venus-like planet.), I know there are texture artifact bug fixes so now asteroids won't have seems. Same with some moons and planets.
And finally, the New Nebulas. These are amazing! It will really add to the program and I know there is even animated supernova renaments meaning the nebula actually expands and dissipates over time. The procedural nature of it along with the almost limitless colour pallete will really add diversity to the SE universe! Cannot wait to use 0.990 when it comes out (Which seems like it will be soon as one of Space Engineer's recent announcements said that he is working on preparations for release so yay!)

I've also used Space Engine for my own personal endevours. I've used it to visualise my solar system for my worldbuilding universe by creating planets, stars, nebula and galaxies and it is fairly easy to do and really fun to see the outcome.

Overall, I love space engine! I'd wish some companies like NASA, ESA or other educational-based companies would take an interest in it but oh well, it looks like it is doing very well on its own and I am sure it will for the coming future too. 

13 hours ago, DAL59 said:

It does for spaceships though.

I know spaceships do but that isn't the main part of the program. I was more talking about astronomical objects like stars and planets not having N-body.

5 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Just curious, is the claim of "highest graphics game ever made" an opinion or is it based on something measurable?

0.990 Really will have decent graphics but I think its more Decent graphics of it's type. It's not a game, it's an engine or more broadly, a simulation.

11 minutes ago, YNM said:

Is there a manual or documentation ?

To change speed, simply use the mouse scroll wheel. you can go from 0.10 cm per second to 327 Million light years per second and also press w,a,s or d for forward, left, backward, right movement. 

Edited by SAS123

3 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

0.990 Really will have decent graphics but I think its more Decent graphics of it's type. It's not a game, it's an engine or more broadly, a simulation.

Ah ok, it does look pretty, but I thought it might be breaking records for polygons rendered per second or something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.