[WIP] [1.4.2] KETO : Kerbal Extreme Texture Overhaul

Dankgum

Kerbal Extreme Texture Overhaul

MVNMEPU.png

What is Kerbal Extreme Texture Overhaul?

Kerbal Extreme Texture Overhaul (KETO) is a mod which will completely overhaul your Kerbol system with ultra high resolution clouds and much more realistic atmospheres. 

What makes this different from other visual packs?

This mod adds something which I've never seen in a stock visual pack, ultra high resolution clouds. With help from @ufindbatman, I've managed to add these stunning clouds.

Current features and known Issues
Spoiler

Current Features

* 43k ultra high resolution clouds for Kerbin

* 8k aurora for every atmospheric planet

* 8k clouds for Jool

* 8k clouds for Duna and Laythe

* Every non-atmospheric body has a subtle scaled-space glow.

To-Do List

* Add even higher res clouds (possibly 64k)

* Add clouds for Eve (I hated the way mine looked, so I didn't bother for now)

* Change terrain textures

* My own scatterer configs

* Better skybox

* Much more

Known Issues

* Seams in Kerbal clouds

* Scatterer doesn't show in tracking station (scatterer bug)

* Many more scatterer bugs

* Probably much more that I'm not aware of

Special Thanks To..

* @ufindbatman for letting me use his Earth/Kerbin cloud textures

* @Avera9eJoe for his scatterer configs (not sure how to customize them)

Installation Instructions

Spoiler

1. Make sure you install all the dependencies of the mod (links for the mods are provided in the download)

* Drop In Replacement Textures

* Environmental Visual Enhancements

* Kopernicus

* Scatterer

2. If you wish, install the recommended mods (links for the mods are provided in the download)

* DistantObjectEnhancement

* PlanetShine

* Real Plume Stock

3. Download KETO and uncompress it's contents. Inside the new folder, there will be a KETO folder. Place the KETO folder into your KSP GameData folder.

4. You have successfully installed KETO. Launch KSP to make sure it's working, and now you can enjoy pushing your computer to it's limits.

USE COMMON SENSE WHEN DOWNLOADING THIS. IF YOU HAVE AN INCREDIBLY WEAK SYSTEM, DO NOT ATTEMPT DOWNLOADING THIS. YOU WILL NEED AT LEAST 8GB OF RAM AND WINDOWS 7/8/10!

Downloads

Download via SpaceDock

CKAN sort of works.

Note: I'm using SpaceDock to add my mod to CKAN. I have no idea how to add dependencies and stuff, and I don't prefer to just bundle them with the mod (easily outdated, licensing issues, etc). If anyone knows how to add a mod to CKAN with dependencies please PM me.

Changelog

Spoiler

Version 0.4

• Bundelled KETO with GEMFX (post processing)
  • Auroras are now stacked, giving a 3d effect in space
  • Changed Jool textures
  • Added cities & city lights (looks best in orbit)
  • Many more changes.

Version 0.3

• Removed certain textures
  • Changed cloud textures
  • Removed detail textures for kerbin clouds (it messed up the volumetric clouds)
  • Changed volumetric cloud textures

Version 0.2

• Improved Jool Textures
  • Laythe clouds look better
  • Glow on non atmospheric planets is much more subtle
  • Scaled space textures are now sharper
  • Much more various little changes

Version 0.1

• Release

License

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 )

Spoiler

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

This is a human-readable summary of (and not a substitute for) the license. Disclaimer.

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

CC-BY-NC-SA icon

Edited by Dankgum
update 0.4

4 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Anyways, look forward to more options

Huh. Today I learnt. And thanks!

3 hours ago, Sunesha said:

How much memory would this require from the GPU? 

Right now I'm not sure as I haven't given anyone a copy of the mod. I'm still testing it and adding more features.

3 hours ago, Dutchbook said:

So far, it looks very promising.

Best of luck with this project

Thanks!

Nice. Though I figure it’ll turn my PC into a small space heater. :D (Actually, I just tried the ~43k clouds from ETO and they seem to work fine in a mostly empty game.)

There’s code in DiRT that keeps it from running alongside old TR and TRR. When I first launched it I suggested I would remove that code if folks found a use case where it would likely run at the same time as the others. This looks like that use case; I’ll drop that restriction in the next update. I use a different config layout for loading replacements, so texture collisions with TRR shouldn’t be an issue (though obviously if you try to change the same texture in both you’ve got a race condition). 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

11 hours ago, Dankgum said:

Right now I'm not sure as I haven't given anyone a copy of the mod. I'm still testing it and adding more features.

Well what do you have, cos that's going to be our baseline for definite success :) 

Kerbin looks epic, btw...

Thanks for the work and the great textures.

My only issue is that it doesn't resize well (using Kopernicus+SigmaDimensions).  On a larger-scaled system some things just break, ie Jool's rings disappear as they do not scale.  On the other hand, the aurora's do scale but not proportionately, leaving them a green halo far above the planet.  The 'glow' does scale, but at a 10x solar system it becomes a thick fog around every body.  I don't mean to criticize, rather just to post this info here for anyone else in the same boat.   Scatterer also doesn't work well at larger scales.

Solutions I'm employing: No scatterer.  Delete all the 'glow' objects from the KETO cfg.  Manually reduce the altitudes of auroras and increase altitudes for Jool's rings.

7 hours ago, Sandworm said:

Thanks for the work and the great textures.

My only issue is that it doesn't resize well (using Kopernicus+SigmaDimensions).  On a larger-scaled system some things just break, ie Jool's rings disappear as they do not scale.  On the other hand, the aurora's do scale but not proportionately, leaving them a green halo far above the planet.  The 'glow' does scale, but at a 10x solar system it becomes a thick fog around every body.  I don't mean to criticize, rather just to post this info here for anyone else in the same boat.   Scatterer also doesn't work well at larger scales.

Solutions I'm employing: No scatterer.  Delete all the 'glow' objects from the KETO cfg.  Manually reduce the altitudes of auroras and increase altitudes for Jool's rings.

Configurations for stock size solar systems do not like to be on differently sized systems. That is often why things like RSSVE only work on the real-size system and not SSRSS. I made these for a stock-sized solar system and not a rescaled one. These custom scatterer configs (not really mine actually) are designed to work only on stock-sized systems and not rescaled. So that's why it doesn't work.  :) 

Version 0.2 has been released

Change log..

• Improved Jool Textures
  • Laythe clouds look better
  • Glow on non atmospheric planets is much more subtle
  • Scaled space textures are now sharper
  • Much more various little changes

gml5grU.png

Download

Edited by Dankgum

1 hour ago, doudou said:

Thank you for this mod that goes well on my machine I7 @ 4ghz 980gtx 16 GB.

And especially relatively easy to install! good continuation

Great that it runs on your setup! 

Also, this isn't a continuation. This is a mod based off ETO. Just saying. :) 

I have a few issues with your mod regarding assets.

It has been brought to my attention that you are using a handful of textures from my visual mods (I recycle them so they are in multiple mods), and a couple from another visual mod, whose developer alerted me to this mod.. I have licenses in all of my visual mods that do not allow for re-distribution unless permission is given. Seeing as I did not give permission to you, I would like you to remove them please. If these textures were taken from ETO, then that mod is also in violation, as I don't recall giving permission there either. If you need examples, I will gladly provide them.

Actually, here they are. Just so I don't have to later. Obviously, these are smaller and I added a black background to them so I could save them as JPG.
KZfACLK.jpg

...and your sun flare is Astroniki from Thomassino. Which is licensed correctly and you can use it, but you don't attribute him in any way.

I also believe that ayou have a texture or two from KSPRC, which I see was just introduced to you a few days ago. It's license is CC-BY-ND, so you can't bundle anything from there.

With that being said, I have not looked into every texture you have in this mod, but so far you have taken a handful of mine, and a few from other and haven't even given credit for those. I can only assume you built this mod upon the backs of others work, ignored licenses and so far claimed most the work as your own, minus the stuff from people that you tagged in the OP

I feel like a jerk for doing this, but this has become an issue again, as of late. You can ask almost any other visual pack maker on these forums, and they will tell you that most of us don't have a problem sharing ideas, textures, and techniques with each other, but just taking them and using them as you want is not the way to go about it, and will result in responses like this.

If you need assistance, or want to know how i created my textures, let me know. I'm willing to help where and when I can.

Edited by Galileo

And please don’t take this out of context. I’m not mad or upset, I’m just disappointed that, yet another visual pack has popped up, only to be using assets from existing packs without permission or credit given. Reusing textures just saturates the community with the same textures everywhere, makes them boring and diminishes the uniqueness of each visual pack.

Edited by Galileo

I didn't mention it when I first posted, but yeah you need to ask permission before taking peoples assets. Regardless of if their license states it or not (And a few of the mods you listed do and don't), it's just polite. Even though I don't have the requirement to ask before posting for Spectra, I admit I got a bit mad seeing my name there without you saying anything beforehand. The only reason I was able to put out Spectra was because I asked all the authors a good month in advance.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

I have a few issues with your mod regarding assets.

It has been brought to my attention that you are using a handful of textures from my visual mods (I recycle them so they are in multiple mods), and a couple from another visual mod, whose developer alerted me to this mod.. I have licenses in all of my visual mods that do not allow for re-distribution unless permission is given. Seeing as I did not give permission to you, I would like you to remove them please. If these textures were taken from ETO, then that mod is also in violation, as I don't recall giving permission there either. If you need examples, I will gladly provide them.

Actually, here they are. Just so I don't have to later. Obviously, these are smaller and I added a black background to them so I could save them as JPG.
KZfACLK.jpg

...and your sun flare is Astroniki from Thomassino. Which is licensed correctly and you can use it, but you don't attribute him in any way.

I also believe that ayou have a texture or two from KSPRC, which I see was just introduced to you a few days ago. It's license is CC-BY-ND, so you can't bundle anything from there.

With that being said, I have not looked into every texture you have in this mod, but so far you have taken a handful of mine, and a few from other and haven't even given credit for those. I can only assume you built this mod upon the backs of others work, ignored licenses and so far claimed most the work as your own, minus the stuff from people that you tagged in the OP

I feel like a jerk for doing this, but this has become an issue again, as of late. You can ask almost any other visual pack maker on these forums, and they will tell you that most of us don't have a problem sharing ideas, textures, and techniques with each other, but just taking them and using them as you want is not the way to go about it, and will result in responses like this.

If you need assistance, or want to know how i created my textures, let me know. I'm willing to help where and when I can.

4 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I didn't mention it when I first posted, but yeah you need to ask permission before taking peoples assets. Regardless of if their license states it or not (And a few of the mods you listed do and don't), it's just polite. Even though I don't have the requirement to ask before posting for Spectra, I admit I got a bit mad seeing my name there without you saying anything beforehand. The only reason I was able to put out Spectra was because I asked all the authors a good month in advance.

I sincerely apologise for taking assets from your mods without permission. I feel like an idiot now, forgetting to ask for permission. I understood the license part but I never knew you had to ask for permission. But now I feel stupid for not doing something which I should've done and was common sense.

I will remove the links for now, and once I fix this issue I will put it back up. Again, I am very sorry for using them without your permission. I know you worked hard on them, and I should've asked for permission first. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

@Galileo, I'd like to firstly state some things. Firstly, most of the textures came from ETO. The thick cloud detail texture was already in ETO. However, the other textures are from, and I admit using them without their permission, AVP. I assume you gave permission to the developer of it. The sun flare came from ETO as well. I just messed around with the config points until I got something I liked.

I took none of the textures from KSPRC. I just took textures from packs where redistribution was permitted. I assume that the textures from KSPRC were stolen by the developer of ETO. If you could show me how your made your textures, that would be greatly appreciated. I have no experience or skill in texture creation, and any attempt of me trying to make textures just looked horrible.

Again, I am genuinely sorry. I feel like an idiot for not asking for permission, something so obvious. This is my first major mod, my first graphics mod and my first time working with textures. Please accept my apology.

Awesome mod and not giving permission is a bit not right imo, this mod looks great and I can't wait for the proper release. May I suggest you look at the cloud layer in Alien Covenant, now that's truly unique and has never been done before. Tell me, has the mod been updated to newer textures and can now be downloaded? This mod is definitely on my list