[1.12.x] Aviation Lights v4.1.3 (29 January 2023) - available for adoption

MOARdV

Just now, Tonka Crash said:

Yes, whatever CCK is really named.

I installed it and no difference :/

took out my NoNon(RP0/RO) folders to the same...

But I just went in and edited the cfg file and chaged:

TechRequired = electrics

to

TechRequired = start

Finally got them, apparently the NoNonRP0 NoNonRO folders would have kicked it out as well. Gunna see if I can find a way around this so I can include the folders again.

• 1 month later...

I've released AviationLights 4.1.1 this morning.  This includes a fix that enabled the Spotlight toggle in the PAW for lights that were marked non-tweakable.  It also finally updates the version file to include 1.9.x as well as 1.10.x.  Available at the usual place GitHub.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, many thanks for this great little useful mod, apart from the flood light shining on everything reported a while back, I noticed there are quite a lot of parts, each for a color, still available to pick from, however the one I tried turned out be quite buggy, as I couldn't place but it spammed wherever part my mouse moved through, has anyone else seen this?

Besides that I wanted to ask whats the standard people go for, I know the red-left, green-right, but apart from this how do you use strobe/flashing lights?

• 2 weeks later...

So, forgive me for double posting after a couple of days, but with the issue of duplicating lights persisting, I took the liberty to give a quick peek on the mod files, and the supposed config to "unhide" the legacy light parts, this however wasn't working for me. That is, the patches with ".nocfg" are actually being applied on my game, I suspect this is a linux thing where file extension is a bit fuzzy, and since it still has the same "cfg" ending, MM applies the patch all the same. I still have to test this, but thought to give you a heads up anyway.

Alright nevermind, the supposed change "category" is still "-1". I guess it just has to do the one mod changing part categorization, it shows the legacy lights due to modules, despite them being hidden.

Edited by Gfurst

• 9 months later...

Aviation Lights v4.1.2 is now available on GitHub.  This is a minor update that adds a Brazilian Portuguese localization courtesy of @Lisias.

Currently, I don't have any plans for new features for this mod since it does everything I want it to do.  Are there any features anyone thinks need to be added?  I had thought about allowing the aviation lights to be connected to the axis controls that KSP introduced several versions ago, but that doesn't feel like a good match in functionality.

Can I ask why the 'old' lights are still part of the mod? The 'aviation light' is fully configurable, and I don't understand what use there is for the older, deprecated lights anymore.

Honestly the only feature that seems to be missing from the mod at this point would be manual configuration of the blinking - how many blinks it makes, how fast, how long the delay between blinks is, etc.

1 minute ago, Frostiken said:

Can I ask why the 'old' lights are still part of the mod? The 'aviation light' is fully configurable, and I don't understand what use there is for the older, deprecated lights anymore.

Honestly the only feature that seems to be missing from the mod at this point would be manual configuration of the blinking - how many blinks it makes, how fast, how long the delay between blinks is, etc.

Probably so it won’t break existing craft/saves

21 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Aviation Lights v4.1.2 is now available on GitHub.  This is a minor update that adds a Brazilian Portuguese localization courtesy of @Lisias.

Currently, I don't have any plans for new features for this mod since it does everything I want it to do.  Are there any features anyone thinks need to be added?  I had thought about allowing the aviation lights to be connected to the axis controls that KSP introduced several versions ago, but that doesn't feel like a good match in functionality.

I have one idea for something that could be added.  A kspedia page for how they function, and how they are used IRL. it's a simple thing but I always forget which side is red/green what flash mode is appropriate,  why you would use a yellow or blue light. I keep having to look it up.

I mean I know the function is basically self explanatory, but it fits with the edu nature of ksp, and it would be a handy reference in game. 

21 hours ago, Frostiken said:

As LGG said, it was to avoid breaking existing craft that used the old lights.  On the other hand, they were deprecated over three years ago, so maybe it's time for them to go.

17 hours ago, snkiz said:

A kspedia page for how they function, and how they are used IRL.

That's a good idea.  I remember there was a tutorial somewhere for how to go about creating kspedia pages, but it looked fairly convoluted.  I'll open an issue so I don't forget when I have more time for modding.

• 2 weeks later...

Something about this mod is causing a b9PartSwitch error after I updated it, it was running fine a few days ago before i installed the new version.

Error is as follows:

B9PartSwitch has encountered a fatal error and KSP needs to close.

Fatal exception while loading tank type LiquidFuel

Exception while loading field resources on type B9PartSwitch.TankType

Exception while loading field resourceDefinition on type B9PartSwitch.TankResource

No resource definition named 'LiquidFuel' could be found

Please see KSP's log for addtional  details

KSP then force quits.

Pastebin won't let me upload my log as it's longer than 512k, but I think this is the relevant part:

[EXC 21:27:17.392] [ModuleManager] Exception while calling B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ModuleManagerPostLoad(): System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: Fatal exception while loading tank type LiquidFuel ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading field resources on type B9PartSwitch.TankType ---> System.Exception: Exception while loading field resourceDefinition on type B9PartSwitch.TankResource ---> B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.PartResourceDefinitionValueParser+PartResourceNotFoundException: No resource definition named 'LiquidFuel' could be found
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.PartResourceDefinitionValueParser.FindResourceDefinition (System.String name) [0x00024] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.ValueParser`1[T].Parse (System.String value) [0x0000b] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataMappers.ValueScalarMapper.Load (System.Object& fieldValue, ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00022] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataField.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00043] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataList.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00025] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataList.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00058] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataObjectExtensions.LoadFields (System.Object obj, ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00033] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.TankResource.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00000] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.NodeObjectWrapperIContextualNode.Load (System.Object& obj, ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00038] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataMappers.NodeListMapper.Load (System.Object& fieldValue, ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x0009e] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataField.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00043] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataList.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00025] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataList.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00058] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataObjectExtensions.LoadFields (System.Object obj, ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00033] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.TankType.Load (ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context) [0x00000] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ReloadTankDefs () [0x0004c] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ReloadTankDefs () [0x0007f] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ModuleManagerPostLoad () [0x00000] in <2aacd5f344de4b4cbd0690767697fdd6>:0
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00048] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext () [0x0060b] in <410b7909691747c78c895491c954d2a4>:0

[LOG 21:27:17.411] [ModuleManager] Post patch ran in 0.188s
[LOG 21:27:17.436] PartLoader: Loading part database
[LOG 21:27:17.438] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/aviation_light/light_aviation'
[LOG 21:27:17.464] EffectList: Created 15 effect types
[EXC 21:27:17.511] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AviationLights.ModuleNavLight.GetInfo () (at <58ace71ce5fd40dcb7d91808d90fe47b>:0)
    PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (AvailablePart newPartInfo, Part part) (at <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0)
    PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext () (at <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

17 hours ago, oniontrain said:

Something about this mod is causing a b9PartSwitch error after I updated it, it was running fine a few days ago before i installed the new version.

I'll take a look and see what might be amiss.  The B9 PS MM patches haven't changed since they were made, so I'm not sure why they'd stop working, unless B9 changed something.

• 1 month later...

Hey @MOARdV

I am trying to use the parts attached to landing gears on my SSTO, the problem the Light Range is so small and capped at 50.

Is there a way to rise that cap to something like 400 ? similar to the stock illuminator MK1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:55 AM, Juba said:

Hey @MOARdV

I am trying to use the parts attached to landing gears on my SSTO, the problem the Light Range is so small and capped at 50.

Is there a way to rise that cap to something like 400 ? similar to the stock illuminator MK1

I can add that in a future update.

You could work around it short-term by adding a custom preset that sets the range to 400, but the slider would still be capped at 50, so you wouldn't be able to adjust it without exiting and editing the preset

7 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I can add that in a future update.

You could work around it short-term by adding a custom preset that sets the range to 400, but the slider would still be capped at 50, so you wouldn't be able to adjust it without exiting and editing the preset

Worked Nicely Thank You..

• 1 year later...

Here's a blast from the past.

Aviation Lights 4.1.3 is now available on GitHub.  This build includes a fix for the pt-br localization and an increase in maximum light range from 50m to 150m, which may help for people wanting to use these lights for landing lights.  It's also been recompiled for KSP 1.12.

I'm also officially putting this mod up for adoption.  I haven't touched it in over a year and a half, and I don't have any ideas for what to do with it other than this last maintenance release.

14 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Here's a blast from the past.

Aviation Lights 4.1.3 is now available on GitHub.  This build includes a fix for the pt-br localization and an increase in maximum light range from 50m to 150m, which may help for people wanting to use these lights for landing lights.  It's also been recompiled for KSP 1.12.

I'm also officially putting this mod up for adoption.  I haven't touched it in over a year and a half, and I don't have any ideas for what to do with it other than this last maintenance release.

If no one better steps in, I would like to adopt it. It's one of my favorite add'ons for years! :)

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

If no one better steps in, I would like to adopt it. It's one of my favorite add'ons for years! :)

I'd be happy for you to adopt it.  Although I'm running out of mods for you to adopt, since you were kind enough to keep Distant Object Enhancement going also. :)

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I'd be happy for you to adopt it.  Although I'm running out of mods for you to adopt, since you were kind enough to keep Distant Object Enhancement going also. :)

Thank you sir! :) I will reach you in private message for the details!

Cheers!

— — POST EDIT — — 

For people willing to use the new Fork. It's essentially the same release, but allowing configuring the Max Value for the Range in a Config File, and working from KSP 1.3.0 to 1.12.5 (what means the legacy parts are kept alive, allowing downloading crafts from KerbalX into 1.12.5!)

Edited by Lisias
new fork

I guess we should be switching over to the Aviation Lights /L sequel (and I'll do that as soon as it shows up on CKAN) but 4.1.3 appears to be missing the old(?) lights, which I still have in my save.  Reverting to 4.1.2 allows me to load okay.

14 minutes ago, Zeggpold said:

I guess we should be switching over to the Aviation Lights /L sequel (and I'll do that as soon as it shows up on CKAN) but 4.1.3 appears to be missing the old(?) lights, which I still have in my save.  Reverting to 4.1.2 allows me to load okay.

This new fork has them back. :) 

Right now, there's no much you will get over 4.1.2 - the only thing that may be of use on some borderline situations is the configuration option to set the maximum range allowed for lights (it's 150 meters on the code and also on the config file, but you can change the config file to a bigger number if you are bold enough - didn't made any studies about impact on performance, if any).

But I have some ideas for small improvements to enhance the "immersion" - like the need to having EC available to make the lights work (right now they just lights up no matter you have EC or now).

Cheers!