Ready Player One Thread

DAL59

The movie didn't have the same story, character arcs, or even feel of the book, but I was never under the impression that it would. I don't think that story could ever translate to a successful movie, even if they did somehow manage to get all the property rights.

It's more of a RP1- themed action adventure flick and IMO it does a good job for what it is. 

Things I liked:
(Spoilers)

Spoiler

*Using Chucky as a weapon
*Iroc
*Halliday
*The entire Shining sequence
* The robot in the archives.

Things I didn't like:
(Spoilers)

Spoiler

*The IoI nerd girl was more like Art3mis in the book than Art3mis was in the movie.
*The fact that Art3mis' avatar didn't look like her, minus the port wine stain.
*Parzival was never really "broken" at any point in the movie... at least not like he was in the book. IMO the hero needs to go through Hell in order to be relatable.
*The fact that everyone knew who Parzival was in the beginning, like he was a well- known gunter instead of just a poor nobody from the stacks.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

My major gripe is that they mishandled that entire meeting between Parzival and ... the guy who ran the whole project at IOI. That was *the* scene in the book that I will never forget and in the movie if you coughed at the right time you could have missed it.

However all in all I LOVED it. That final battle was epic and worth the 3d IMAX ticket.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Given the reviews and the trailers, (and that I've read the book 12 times and counting) I think it's impossible for me to enjoy the movie. It would be cool to see the wargames scene if they had actually put it ib the movie, though :(.

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

14 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

I don't think that story could ever translate to a successful movie, even if they did somehow manage to get all the property rights.

After I thought about it, I think Spielberg was right in some of his decisions. Would a theater audience really be willing to sit through 5 minutes of  Wade playing Joust?

But what I find funny is the fact that Spielberg, by adding some much detail to every scene, has managed to create actual real life Gunters. Google  'qqsqqqrtvsqq' and you will see what I mean.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. Ernie Cline included a real life hunt in his book, and the trailer definitely seemed to lead to a labyrinth of links that led to a cryptic scoreboard. I spent some time trying to decode the scoreboard, and I'm still convinced it means something.

Best,
-Slashy

In fact....

Looking back through the original trail, there definitely *is* a quest attached to the movie.

No spoilers, not an April Fools joke.

Best,
-Slashy

Read and really enjoyed the book.   I'm looking forward to seeing the movie, but given the reviews, I can wait.  But still looking forward to it. 

I can imagine Spielberg was the only one capable of making the movie (easily).  The IP rights alone would have driven the lawyers crazy.  But now ol' Steve problably had to sign each set of IP documents twice, once to release the IP, and once to acquire it for the movie. 

Revisiting my earlier comment about the quest, it was already ongoing when I made that post and there are still unanswered questions.

I see no harm in bringing you up to speed, since my "mad puzzlin' skillz" were several weeks late to the party :(

Spoiler

http://www.jointhequest.io/

x out the video and take a look behind it.

The magazine cover has a QR code that leads to a Halliday article. Both Halliday articles (now shown on the above link) have binary in the images, and close examination will reveal that both article "authors" were Goonies. The binary unscrambles to reveal a password; "Gunters never say die!"

The Youtube link "Acapella" reveals 2 more clues; 1) there is an account called "Halliday's Ghost" that is all over social media, and 2) You're supposed to cross- compare images to crack a code.
 Following this trail down the rabbit hole leads to another password that's already been cracked; "Never feed a gunter after midnight".

These passwords (and some others) were used to unlock new parts of the website in a now- defunct "login" screen, but there are more cryptic videos and images that have yet to be solved.

Best,
-Slashy

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Already? Wow.

Yep.  We probably are less than 10 years away from Oasis.  Especially now we have real time ray tracing

I just saw the movie last night, having never read the book (soon, it's in the house; just waiting for my daughter to finish it) and thought it was great. I think I prefer it that way, since I wasn't expecting anything from the book to be in the movie. I loved all the pop culture references, some subtle, some smacking you upside the head. Too many to mention or even remember them all.

Things that stood out:

Spoiler

When the iron giant sank into the lava pit, giving the final 'thumbs up' from Terminator 2

"Like ho's on Santa"

Favorite video, Take on Me by Aha, like really? Seriously?

Mutant Ninja Turtles! Halo Master Chiefs!

The whole final epic battle!

BttF DeLorean; original Batmobile

ColecoVision!

Great Soundtrack!

As mentioned above, weaponized Chucky!

The whole 'The Shining' sequence, but I kept expecting "Heeere's Johnny!"

Just saw the movie Friday. 

It's an amazing movie, but it shouldn't be called Ready Player One. There no plot devices that have an important role in the book mentioned in the movie, excluding Wade's trailer stack being blown up, and the concept of the contest itself. I think if they changed some of the character's names and renamed the movie it'd be an excellent stand- alone film, just not under the Ready Player One name.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.