[support] Landing legs exploding in 1.4.2

13 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Added weight plus shift of centre of mass does this? Im not sure.

I'm pretty sure it is in fact the shift in the center of mass. Specifically it happens docking a wheeled vehicle to a legged vehicle (both quite light). No matter which is being controlled, the legs explode, and this was never a problem in earlier versions. I've even tested to make sure it isn't just suddenly fragile legs by dropping the legged vehicle from a height and it survives just fine. My guess is the sudden center of mass shift (from combined vehicle to just one of them or vice versa) registers as a high velocity impact on the surface, since KSP calculates everything relative to the active vehicle. Whatever they did to mitigate this 1.4.1 and earlier doesn't work anymore. Maybe it has to do with the "fix" for legs being clipped into the surface? Or maybe it's a new bug having to do with the fix for legs always exploding in 1.4.2? In any case it makes bases with legs unusable now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 6:54 PM, Arqane said:

Having the exact same problem trying to detach my first rover from its lander.  Lander lands just fine, decoupling the rover causes the lander's legs to explode.

Was hoping 1.4.4 would fix it, but still broken. Back to 1.4.1...

Same issue in 1.4.4 - 

43 tonne fuel rover on XL3 wheels docking either via a Clamp-o-Tron or an AGU/Klaw to an 18 tonne lander on 4xLT2's; 

All testing done in Kerbin gravity; Docking typically breaks all 4 XL3's.  If using Clamp-O-Tron the LT2's will also break at docking. 

If using the Klaw, docking just breaks the wheels, and undocking results in a chain reaction of Rapid Unplanned Disassembly and a very Kerbal fireball as it appears the LT2's break and the fuel tank smashes against the pad. 

I've also re-tested this with 6x LT2s on the lander. All 6 LT2's break, but this no longer results in a fireball. 

This 6xLT2 Lander can otherwise survive a drop from 5.5m and it takes a drop of ~7m over the pad before it breaks all 6 legs. 

Edited by Renquist

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue in 1.4.4.

6x LT2 Landing Struts on a 30t rocket. Command seat inside fairing at the top. As soon as a Kerbonaut enters the command seat, craft wobbles for a small moment and the landing struts explode.

Landing struts explode also on Eve touchdown at 4 m/s with parachute landing.

1.4.4. KSP plus DLC Making History
Only Mods are Mechjeb and KER.

• 1 month later...

Hey, i just found the solution, if you are ok with editing some files, (at least for LT-2)

You need to set the "restPitch" in the ModuleWheelBogey section to about 100, it sets the foot of the leg almost parallel to the ground ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.