Landing leg explodes after 1.4.2 update

My mods installed are:

ModuleManager

KAS

StageRecovery

MechJeb2

ShipManifest

KAC

After the 1.4.2 update, now my ships' landing gear explodes on touchdown, even with a soft 0.5m/s touchdown on Minmus, or a small craft under parachute on Kerbin grass. I can land on any other kind of part, such as heat shields or engines, but not on the LT-1 or LT-2 legs. (Did not test the micro LT-5)

8 hours ago, brianorca said:

My mods installed are:

ModuleManager

KAS

StageRecovery

MechJeb2

ShipManifest

KAC

After the 1.4.2 update, now my ships' landing gear explodes on touchdown, even with a soft 0.5m/s touchdown on Minmus, or a small craft under parachute on Kerbin grass. I can land on any other kind of part, such as heat shields or engines, but not on the LT-1 or LT-2 legs. (Did not test the micro LT-5)

I reproduced in a bone-stock game (all mods removed). Something's changed in the landing leg physics of 1.4.2. I'm afraid to continue my Career save until a fix comes out, so I'm just playing in Sandbox, testing designs. I've found that if I double (or more!) the number of landing legs I use, the risk of things going Kraken-shaped is reduced. But there's still a chance things will explode, especially if you land on any kind of slope.

This is happening to me also for perhaps a day or so i couldnt say when. but definetly there are big issues with exploding LT-2 hvy duty landing struts exploding on touching the Mun. very softly. at say 2m/s max.

Ran many tests but same result every time ,on a Lander/miner/re-fueler  i have been using successfully for some time.

This needs to be sorted. i run a fully stock careermode game since forever... please fix it :)

Also have the same issue. Was going to test with no addons (only Squad and Kerbal engineer in GameData folder) and landing legs worked again. Then I realized I had also left out the new SquadExpansion folder which I suppose is the Making history DLC. A new test had the LT-2 landing struts explode the instant it touches the ground with no other mods so clearly something has been changed in 1.4.2. Adding a picture for context of a Mun fuel miner I have been using with no issues until now. It can be as heavy as 100 Tons when landing. 

https://imgur.com/a/J5Ltf

Are those landing legs not intended to be used for such heavy crafts and they decided to change tolerances? If so, what is the alternative? Adding more legs seems sketchy as it looks as if the first one to touch the ground explodes and there is no time for load to spread across many landing legs.

Edited by orjanb314

yes

orjanb314

i got the same symptoms as you.

5 hours ago, orjanb314 said:

Also have the same issue. Was going to test with no addons (only Squad and Kerbal engineer in GameData folder) and landing legs worked again. Then I realized I had also left out the new SquadExpansion folder which I suppose is the Making history DLC. A new test had the LT-2 landing struts explode the instant it touches the ground with no other mods so clearly something has been changed in 1.4.2. Adding a picture for context of a Mun fuel miner I have been using with no issues until now. It can be as heavy as 100 Tons when landing. 

https://imgur.com/a/J5Ltf

Are those landing legs not intended to be used for such heavy crafts and they decided to change tolerances? If so, what is the alternative? Adding more legs seems sketchy as it looks as if the first one to touch the ground explodes and there is no time for load to spread across many landing legs.

My "Eagle" Munlander has now also exploding legs if they have contact with the ground. In 1.4.1 all was nice - in 1.4.2 they are not usable yet...

Modlist: EVE, TextureReplacerReplaced, DraggableNavball, Chatterer, SmokeScreen,PlanetShine

ildNelz.jpg

2fxYOR8.jpg

The same happens if I delete all Mods and try it in Stock...

Edited by KnutG
detail added

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this problem too since 1.4.2.  I saw in the patch notes they made changes to the landing gear.  2 of the past 3 updates have made the game unplayable for me.  Anyone know of a way of reverting a saved game to a previous version?  I know how to revert the game, but then I can't play my saved game.

I'm new to the game, and playing through the tutorial missions my Mun lander had its legs explode even when I touched down under 1m/s no matter what I tried. Thought I was missing something obvious, so I searched for help here - at least now I know two things.

1. It's not my fault, I'm landing just fine.
  2. When I make my own lander, don't use the landing legs!

1 hour ago, JH4C said:

I'm new to the game, and playing through the tutorial missions my Mun lander had its legs explode even when I touched down under 1m/s no matter what I tried. Thought I was missing something obvious, so I searched for help here - at least now I know two things.

1. It's not my fault, I'm landing just fine.
  2. When I make my own lander, don't use the landing legs!

Or alternately do one or both of the following:  

1) Add twice as many legs as you think you need;

2) Before you launch you mission "for real" and AFTER you've saved a version you can re-load in the VAB, delete you launch vehicle below the lander; right-click on the legs and select "Start Extended" and then click the LAUNCH button at the upper-right of the VAB editor. Your lander will spawn on the Launchpad. If the legs can handle the load on the Launchpad, they should have no problems on the Mun, Minmus, Duna or anywhere else with less-than-Kerbin surface gravity.