Adjectives for the new planets/muns?

Elven_sword

We need proper adjectives for the new planets and Minmus. Personally, I use Minmoid, but I've seen Minar and Minmusar, which are clearly incorrect and wrong and bad. We'll also need adjectives for Eve, Gilly, and Egar(?). I suggest Gillian for Gilly, any others?

Well firstly, a moon is a moon; Mun is Kerbin's moon only. It's the proper name for Kerbin's moon.

This is similar to the name for Earth's moon actually being Luna. Thus, Lunar surface.

I imagine there's some method for naming the descriptive version of a proper name, eg Venusian, Martian, Murcurian, Lunar, etc.. I'm no English major though. So I couldn't really say what the proper method for deriving it for like "Eve" or "Bop" would be though.

Well firstly, a moon is a moon; Mun is Kerbin's moon only. It's the proper name for Kerbin's moon.

This is similar to the name for Earth's moon actually being Luna. Thus, Lunar surface.

No, Luna is merely an alternate name used when it needs to be distinguished from other moons. The Moon is it's actual, full and proper name in English.

I imagine there's some method for naming the descriptive version of a proper name, eg Venusian, Martian, Murcurian, Lunar, etc.. I'm no English major though. So I couldn't really say what the proper method for deriving it for like "Eve" or "Bop" would be though.

Those words picked from other languages will often used the descriptive term associated with it there thus mars and martian or mercury and mercurial but it's often modified to suit English ears or uses. For example Venus would originally have been something like Venereal but that has another association with the goddess of love so venusian is more common now.

A few more for the list:

Charr will vary depending on whether you want to pronounce it with a long or short a (like Charred or like Charon). I would suggest Charrel and Charrl be added to the list though.

Eve could be Even, Evel (or Evil), Evemral, Eef.

Minmus could be Minute, Minus

Bop could be Boppin, Boppan, Bopapart, Boppy, Bope

Gilly of course has to be Katzenellen.

Charr will vary depending on whether you want to pronounce it with a long or short a (like Charred or like Charon). I would suggest Charrel and Charrl be added to the list though.

Is Charr pronounced with a soft CH, as in Charon (pronounced Sharon) or with a hard CH, as in charred or charged?

I can see four variations:

Sharr (Similar to Shard)

Chair

Charr (as in charred)

At first, I thought the last one was the obvious choice, but then thought that the second one (Sharr) sounded pretty cool.

What about naivE?

Haha!

Edited by theflyingfish
I LOVE EDITING.

Interesting topic this one... Completely unofficially, here's my take on it:

Kerbin: Kerbal

Mun: Munar

Minmus: Minmusi

Eve: Even

Char: Charian

Gilly: Gillian

Bop: Bopee

These are just suggestions tho... There's no 'canon' for this yet. :)

Cheers

Is Charr pronounced with a soft CH, as in Charon (pronounced Sharon) or with a hard CH, as in charred or charged?

Just FYI, Charon is pronounced pretty much exactly like the name Karen. Although the second syllable has a bit of discrepancy with its pronunciation, it's pretty much accepted that the Ch represents a hard C as in cat or commando.

Anyway, some solid ideas thrown around in this thread but I'm not sure how I even feel about it. This is one of those things I'd have to brainstorm over a bit especially with the new planets, but I'm definitely a fan of Minmus(s)ian for Minmus stuff. I roll my eyes enough when people call it Minimus, never mind leaving the latter half of the moon's name out of its descriptor.

There's no 'canon' for this yet. :)

No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that Kerbal affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.

Another possibility would be Charizard for Charr, to borrow from another addictive game

Bop definitely seems like the tricky one. What about putting an H after it and having something like Bophran?

Edited by EndlessWaves

I have no strong feelings apart from disliking anything with "-oid" in it. I'd lean towards Minmar or Minmusian, and perhaps Boppar. I hope there's a body in the system at some point with a name ending in -an, because of the fun you can have with adjectives like Titanic for Titan :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.