Reusabilty! on a postage stamp - Jebediah Heavy sends a car to mars

What do you want to see in this mission report?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. More rockets?

• JEBEDIAH HEAVY
    • nah
  2. 2. An insgight to the code?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Falcon Heavy sends a car to mars

• yes
    • no

Kape Kerman, Kerbin the scene was set for history or an almighty explosion the Jebediah 9 waited on the pad for what was to be a test of a little system Elon Kerman liked to call "Hitting a postage stamp with a rock on a lake" also known as, Landing on a boat! the KerbX Jebediah 9 was 10 minutes from either making history or Failure, KSA and the KSAF range were there to suport this unusual event with safety checks and technological help as this was to be what may be the first orbital class rocket to be landed back on Kerbin nevermind a ship in the waters of the Kerblinca Ocean. Elon was nervous no doubt everyone was.

Launch (next spoiler contains a spoiler which doesnt contain a spoiler because it contains the landing?)

Spoiler

Lift off of the KerbX Jebediah 9 to test orbital class recovery!!!

screenshot56.png

Stage separation

screenshot57.png

First stage is under its flip.

screenshot58.png

Stage one boostback has started

screenshot59.png

around this time everyone began to get exited that it was acctualy happening

screenshot60.png

boostback complete stage one is under atmospheric glide phase

screenshot61.png

Stage one is getting toasty

screenshot62.png

screenshot63.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

drone ship has AOS

screenshot64.png

Landing burn has started (acctualy RSO had to manualy activate the landing as it wasnt going to activate engines most likley)

screenshot65.png

touch down JRTI the Jebediah has landed

screenshot66.png

stable on the drone ship

screenshot67.png

Next Launch: Chez Sat I - Jebediah 9 

Mission Info:

Recovery: yes

Recovery type: Experemental landing at LZ1

Objectives: place Chez Sat I into a GTO orbit around kerbin, recover the first stage back at LZ1

soon™

(acctualy incidently my script is better at recovering on a drone ship than a Landing Zone which is confusing right?)

Hmmm i wonder if i could recover a fairing...

update: Chez Sat I deemed to be too risky to do an RTLS recovery, KerbX will be attempting a drone ship recovery once again on Just Read The Instructions in the Kerblinca Ocean

regards to the next launch, will be the hardest landing yet, yes i have added Throttle limiter Extended and used it to add some dificulty to landing boosters! Yes throttle limitation (not so enthusiastic with getting it to land however)  also will be launching a satilite to monitor the Universe, yes its called the Elon Kerman Space Telescope!

Manifest

Edited by kerbinorbiter

LAUNCH: Chez Sat I

For the first Contracted launch for the Jebediah 9, of all the payloads on the manifest it would be the KOKN (Kerbin Orbital Kommunicatons Network)'s Chez Sat I to launch on the Jebediah 9 - the only reusable rocket - the staging has been checked and we are ready to go and the Droneship was in port as weather issues so we made the desicsion to not risk the drone ship but we will try to land it softly on the ocean, although it will be quite the tricky job 

Launch:

Spoiler

screenshot0.png

Pitch kick T+30

screenshot4.png

Stage one is under Active PEGAS guidance phase

screenshot6.png

staging

screenshot7.png

fairing

screenshot12.png

meanwhile...

screenshot17.png

SECO

screenshot14.png

Landing burn has started

screenshot24.png

Landing legs deployed

screenshot26.png

MECO-2

screenshot29.png

Second stage engine start

screenshot31.png

Chez Sat I is on GTO trajectory!

NEXT LAUNCH: KIS I (Kerbin Imaging Sat I)

Recovery: yes

Recovery type: Flyback-EDL (EDL just means Entry Landing burn)

Also the Jebediah Heavy will be happening sometime soon! (hopefully)

Launch manifest:

1. KSI I [swaped with DCC-T because booster constraints]

2. DCC-T and DCC-T-2 for recycled booster test

3. KRS - 1

4. KIS II

5. Chez Sat II

6. KRS - 2

7. Cosmosica 1-12 (this will start a series of launches for Cosmotica Sat systems)

8. Chez Sat III

9. Cosmosica 13-24

10. KRS - 3

11. Jebediah Heavy Demo Flight (scheduled for when there are at least 2 refurbished boosters) [Jebediah Heavy]

12. KRS - 4 [Jebediah 9]

13. Red Valentina [Jebediah Heavy]

14. Cosmosica 25-37 [Jebediah 9]

15. PRS (Polar Research Station)

PRS - insight

The PRS is a research station that we have been contacted to launch by the end of the year expect this to move up the manifest ahead of KRS - 4 or expect both the PRS and the Jebediah Heavy Demo flight to move up the manifest to around KIS II and Chez Sat II

Edited by kerbinorbiter

LAUNCH: DCC-T-1

Description: Although night time the booster was to land back at Kape Kerman, LZ1 since the main mission wasn't that interesting because you wouldn't see anything, the Boostback and Landing of the booster, B1020, was interesting so our photographers focused on that booster rather than the Second stage 

screenshot3.png

Landing burn has begun

screenshot6.png

MECO-3

screenshot8.png

Does this count or not?

screenshot9.png

something is happening!

screenshot0.png

Edited by kerbinorbiter

Jebediah Heavy demo flight will be happening soon i have prepared some info on Jebediah Heavy (and Jebediah 9)

also if you are wondering to submit a payload, the install is mostly stock when it comes to payloads:

Jebediah Heavy capacity ratings:

LKO (reusable total): 30t

LKO (expendable core): 42t

LKO (expendable total): 64t

GTO (reusable total): 16t?

GTO (expendable core): 20t?

GTO (expendable total): 25t?

Jebediah 9 capacity ratings:

LKO (reusable LZ-1 flyback EDL): 8t

LKO (reusable ASDS flyback EDL): 12t (depending on location of droneship)

LKO (reusable ASDS EDL only): 14t

LKO (expendable): 20t (underestemate most likley)

GTO: (reusable LZ-1 flyback EDL): < 3t

GTO: (reusable ASDS flyback EDL): 4t

GTO: (reusable ASDS EDL only): 6t

GTO: expendable: 8t

current manifest:

KIS I

Valeria V-1 resuply mission to KSS

Jebediah Heavy Demo Flight - first flight of Valeria V2 (Valeria crew capsule) - Reusable is to be confirmed

Cosmotica 1-12

UPCOMING: Jebediah Heavy Demo Flight

1437t, 64t to orbit, 30t to orbit reusable!

Flight overview:

Mission description:

Jebediah Heavy, carring Valeria V2 to a Munnar transfer orbit with crew of Valeria Kerman, Valentina Kerman, Jebediah Kerman and Bob Kerman will liftoff from pad 55 at Kape Kerman on Kerbin on a journey to the Mun which should last around a week. Then at T+30 seconds the role and pitch program will steer Jebediah Heavy into a prograde following attitude, at 90 degrees Azimuth, then at T+60 seconds the boosters will throttle back to around 90% of rated thrust, while the core throttles to around 60% of rated thrust to keep balence with burn time after around 20-25 seconds in this configuration the side boosters will throttle back up to 100% until they are around 20 seconds from separation at which point they will throttle back to 80% while the core throttles back up to 100% this incidently keeps the balence between the thrust so through this transition it is mostly the same then 20 seconds later the two side boosters will separate and come back for a landing at LZ-1 and LZ-2 meanwhile the booster is separating in around 30 seconds, at T-5 to MECO, the core throttles down to 40% and at MECO throttles to 0, then separates a few seconds later

at around T+ 8 minutes there are quite a few events one being the Landings of side booster 1 and 2. then around 1 minute later the core will land on Of Course I still love you situated in the ocean!

also you will note that the core stage has a different paint job this is a block 7 stage rather than the side cores which are block 6 stages

UPCOMING: DTS and LZ 3, 4, 5 and new launch sites

although the most powerful rocket, Jebediah Heavy is going to launch soon, we decided that our next rocket will be the DTS Dunan Transportation System, the most powerful rocket ever. With goal to get Kerbals to Duna soon, we are not sure of engines or other stuff yet, we also have began constructing 3 new Landing Zones, 2 of which will be for our new launch site and one will be at the Kape Kerman main site this also opens up a capability to land all three cores of a Jebediah Heavy launch on ground! 

Edited by kerbinorbiter

JEBEDIAH HEAVY DEMO FLIGHT:

Mission Description:

Test the entire Jebediah Heavy stack

send a car to Mars

Land all boosters back at LZ-1, LZ-2 and LZ-3 respectivly

Mission status: Partial succsess, still in progress (car is getting zapped in the Von Kermon belts)

Launch

Spoiler

screenshot1.png 

screenshot0.png 

screenshot5.png

screenshot7.png 

screenshot9.png

screenshot10.png 

screenshot12.png 

screenshot14.png

CAR!

screenshot16.png 

screenshot18.png

SECO-1 orbit: 4017km x 174km

Booster landing (only showing one because why not i will show the other booster landed though for proof of your eyes

Spoiler

screenshot31.png 

screenshot24.png

screenshot25.png 

screenshot27.png 

screenshot28.png 

screenshot30.png 

LZ-3, booster 1 landed

starboard landing

Spoiler

(from landing burn start)

screenshot41.png d

it is a different landing pad!

CORE landing

Spoiler

this landing is one of the hardest types, a core Boostback to LZ-1 from about just under 3km/s 

screenshot47.png 

boostback was normal appart from the fact i used 9 engines instaid of 3 to keep the time low and make sure it acctualy did it correctly

screenshot50.png

this is where the guidance switches over to terminal landing, where it basicaly adjusts like crazy acctualy the adjustment is less than it was to be honest

screenshot51.png 

toasty!

screenshot52.png 

screenshot54.png

about to enter landing burn phase

screenshot55.png

landing burn has started, ajustment is moved to long shoot basicaly it wants to overshoot

screenshot56.png 

by far my favourate screen shot as it shows the core will land after about 8 minutes on its own

screenshot57.png

confirmed touch down

In around 2 orbits or 4 hours the second stage will push the Car to Mars

Jebediah Heavy sends a car to Mars!

BLOCK 7 LAUNCH 1 INFORMATION:

Block 7 defenatly is in the works with a lot of engine improvements to the first stage maybe even voiding the useage of a drone ship also will allow Jebediah Heavy to it's full capacity!

Block 7 also will be the first attempt of launching with an audience because i feel as if acctualy this is going to be easier to create because then i only need to record 2 things, rather than wait for a bunch of screenshots to upload :/ 

more info will be below when i "schedule" it!

well i am specificaly refering to block 7's tenth flight...nope i wasn't i acctualy have went ahead and done it for this time, and no more screenshots from this post onwards!

Edited by kerbinorbiter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.