Mercury-Redstone 3 Historical Recreation[WIP]

PietrOZ

May 5th 1961.

Almost a month after Yuri Gagarin's loop around the globe, Nasa was finally ready for it's first rocket mission with human crew.

Alan Shepard boarded his mercury capsule Freedom 7, strapped on a Redstone rocket and prepared for a Suborbital flight.

Follow the instructions and recreate the mission, some parts are completely automated(stage separation, boostback and parachute deployment)

BR9TGQI.jpg

Mercury-Redstone 3 at Launch Complex 5.

aa9Z3Zz.jpg

Freedom 7 in space.

Download here ---> https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/mercury-redstone-3/files

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

Just tried your mission. It works fine so far. I know it's WIP so I might give some comments about the things I've noticed by playing it through :-)

After the lift off I got the message to pitch the rocket to 70°, but I didn't know in which direction. North, south, west, east? :-D It might be obvious, but with a short introduction or a more detailed note during the flight it might be easier to understand.

Also it would have been nice to know what the main goals are from the beginning. I failed to miss the last task of reaching the final height and the whole process stopped. You could try to make a second path before reaching the final node and granting less points or so. I think you could make a nice little mission out of that.

Are you still working on that? :-)

• 11 months later...

Hey Jadago, 

I know it's way too late for a reply, but it's nice to hear your feedback :)
Unfortunately I don't think I will update the mission, it's been too long since I worked on it...

thank you for playing! :)

On 5/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, Jadago said:

Hi there.

Just tried your mission. It works fine so far. I know it's WIP so I might give some comments about the things I've noticed by playing it through :-)

After the lift off I got the message to pitch the rocket to 70°, but I didn't know in which direction. North, south, west, east? :-D It might be obvious, but with a short introduction or a more detailed note during the flight it might be easier to understand.

Also it would have been nice to know what the main goals are from the beginning. I failed to miss the last task of reaching the final height and the whole process stopped. You could try to make a second path before reaching the final node and granting less points or so. I think you could make a nice little mission out of that.

Are you still working on that? :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.