Today is Autism awareness day, any aspie here? :-) does you think Asperger individual could hold pilot license?

Pawelk198604

I have Asperger i'm live in Poland as kid i always dreamed to be pilot in our Polish Air Force and be pilot of our Mig-29 or General Dynamic F-16 that our ministry of defense once bought or at least be airline Pilot in "LOT" it our Polish National Air Carrier. 

Recently i started to watch American TV series the good doctor, about autistic doctor Shaun Murphy and his struggles with acceptance in his profession, it based on Korean tv series that i also plan to watch. 

So i once read about NASA engineer that had Asperger and is both programmer and research test Pilot at NASA, btw both Wright Brothers was probably aspie too :-) 

So i dream what would be if i was airline pilot at "Lot" take-off from Warsaw Okęcie - (EPWA) into direct flight into New York, USA John F. Kennedy International Airport (KJFK) or Rio de Janeiro–Galeão International Airport,Rio de Janeiro (SBGL), Brazil. 

And after take off annonce following message, good morning my dear passengers, i want you to share with you that beautiful day we flying to America/Brazil we also celebrate today Autism Awareness Day, and i have wonderful information too you you captain is autistic too :D i'f you had something against that, well screw you because i gave excrements on every one of you too I hope that i did not crash due bad weather because i'm so scared thunderstorms( that would be lie because i love rain and thunderstorms :-) ) that plane, have nice day my dear passengers :D

Have nice day my dear passengers

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20180402090023AA2r8PD

27 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I hope this settles the question once and for all.

I'm sorry, but I find that a bit unkind. A little understanding is required here.

2 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I have Asperger i'm live in Poland as kid i always dreamed ...

Don't give up your dreams. Work on them. Seek guidance.

world-autism-awareness-day.jpg

You keep on asking the same questions over and over again. Obsessive behavior is not a sane behavior for becoming a pilot, so that doesn't really bode well.

A good pilot is going to require communication skills, concentration, strong decision-making and full awareness of reality and understanding what's happening around him. Many aspies struggle with those skills.

We don't know (or want to know) the details of your condition, but Asperger's Syndrome covers a wide spectrum of aspergers. Folks on an internet forum will not be able to answer your question. Questions like this will best be answered by your local authorities and your doctor. So don't ask us, ask them.

If they do say no, then don't take it as a failure. You can achieve a great career in aviation or aerospace without being a pilot or an astronaut.  After all, Von Braun, Chris Kraft, Burt Rutan, or Korolev never went to space, yet they are more famous than most astronauts.

Edited by Nibb31

4 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

Pawelk keeps on asking the same questions over and over again. Obsessive behavior is not a sane behavior for becoming a pilot, so that doesn't really bode well. A good pilot is going to require communication skills, capability to concentrate on the task, and a strong grasp of what's happening around him.

Yes, I know, Asperger's presents itself with these behaviors. This needs to be understood, patience and understanding go a long way here.

The requirements can be obtained. Guidance and counseling are required, it's a long road, but not an impossible journey.

Spoiler
36 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

A good pilot is going to require communication skills, concentration, strong decision-making and full awareness of reality and understanding what's happening around him.

A pilot detected.

5 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

You keep on asking the same questions over and over again. Obsessive behavior is not a sane behavior for becoming a pilot, so that doesn't really bode well.

A good pilot is going to require communication skills, concentration, strong decision-making and full awareness of reality and understanding what's happening around him. Many aspies struggle with those skills.

We don't know (or want to know) the details of your condition, but Asperger's Syndrome covers a wide spectrum of aspergers. Folks on an internet forum will not be able to answer your question. Questions like this will best be answered by your local authorities and your doctor. So don't ask us, ask them.

If they do say no, then don't take it as a failure. You can achieve a great career in aviation or aerospace without being a pilot or an astronaut.  After all, Von Braun, Chris Kraft, Burt Rutan, or Korolev never went to space, yet they are more famous than most astronauts.

Yes Von Braun is very good exemple he enlisted to NSDAP and SS to fulfil his Space dreams :D 

Maybe i should join Illuminati ? :D 

But how you think if somehow become a pilot and get medical certificate to become such, and after takeoff i would announce trough plane wide intercom 

" Good morning my dear passengers, i want you to share with you that beautiful day we flying to America/Brazil we also celebrate today Autism Awareness Day, and i have wonderful information too you you captain is autistic too :D i'f you had something against that, well screw you because i gave excrements on every one of you too I hope that i did not crash due bad weather because i'm so scared thunderstorms( that would be lie because i love rain and thunderstorms :-) ) that plane, have nice day my dear passengers :D "

Does it would be good prank ? :wink: 

2 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Does it would be good prank ? :wink: 

Honestly?  No.  More than likely, somebody would be upset or angered to hear you say such a thing, and you could end up losing your job... a job you worked so very hard to attain. Think about it!

I do respect your difficulties Pawelki, but please do realise that the forum is not much more than any other parts of the Internet. Only real experiences will help you succeed.

@Pawelk198604

Edited by YNM

24 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

For me every day is autism awareness day.

Me, too.  I was 45 when I was diagnosed, after decades of expectations to "be normal," and "fit in."  By my early 20s, had learned to "fit in" well enough to hold a job and live in society.  I have no doubt that if I could afford the lessons and aircraft rental costs, I could become a private pilot (I'm good with trigonometry, have an excellent memory, and I'm a very good driver, with long experience on motorcycles -- which requires strong situational awareness; I'm also a better communicator than many who don't have ASD).  I've wanted to fly for fifty years -- but it's expensive, and I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on the learning process (not to mention the hours of study, instruction, and practice, while working full time with an hour commute each way).  Thirty-some years ago, I flew radio control for a while -- it's often considered more difficult than flying a full size aircraft, because of the orientation issue (you have to control appropriately when the model is flying toward you, might be inverted, etc.), and it's lots cheaper.  Not to mention, if you crash, you just collect the pieces, go home, and glue the airplane back together.

My daughter got diagnosed at 2, luckily.  She immediately got special at-home speech and communication therapy, as well as two years of preschool with teachers trained for autistic children.  Every day is a battle with her, but I know it would be way worse than if we hadn't gotten her checked right away.  (She didn't start speaking until ~4 years old)

So far, most of her teachers have been able to handle her.

4 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I've wanted to fly for fifty years -- but it's expensive, and I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on the learning process (not to mention the hours of study, instruction, and practice, while working full time with an hour commute each way). 

Have you looked for an ultra-light license? The category is still depending of the different countries all around the world, but it can be more affordable, easier to practice, and (more important) funnier.

The days where ultra-lights aircraft were flown by true bug smashers, hanging under a delta wing, and with a propeller in the back, are dying slowly as more and more models now are cockpit/cabin closed and are using a more traditional configuration.

From my personal experience, I used to fly frequently on a C172S for the "small" amount of 180 euros per hour (sigh), still considered as "affordable" by the community, and on a diesel powered DA40NG for 161 euros (again, way too much), then somebody made me discover the WT9 made by Aerospool and which was just fantastic! The club was renting it 100 euros an hour with all maintenance and fuel fees included, and honestly this aircraft was way more interesting to fly than the standard flying cans classified as "light airplanes".

Here she is:

gsRLSlq.jpg

However, there was a small legal trap with her: the empty mass was around 260 kg, and the operational mass around 450 kg (so still an ultra-light, legally), but the max take-off mass was 600 kg so at this time it was legally considered as an airplane.

Still, most of the recent ultra-light are using Rotax 912/14/15 engines, which means a lower fuel fare as they are drinking standard road vehicles unleaded gasoline, from 87 to 95. Without counting their drinking rate of around 13-17 l/h, way more economic than the Skyhawk SP thirsty Lycoming which was drinking 37 l/10 gal per hour and for a lower cruising speed.

7 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Honestly?  No.  More than likely, somebody would be upset or angered to hear you say such a thing, and you could end up losing your job... a job you worked so very hard to attain. Think about it!

My dead mother, who died more than a year ago, said that me and my father who died in 2002, whom she also suspected of Asperger Syndrome, a printer by profession, he was the manager in the printing house, said that me and dad, we have a very distorted feeling humor :-)

My father died of cardiomyopathy, he was a workaholic, he talked about various new printing techniques all the time, just like I talk about aviation. 

Before he was diagnosed with heart disease, he had a problem with hernia, never operated, because he was afraid of surgery, when he wanted to undergo surgery, surgeons did not want to take him because they were afraid of complications related to heart disease. Daddy once asked his doctor, "doctor, can you promise me something?" If I finally die, will you give me this damn hernia surgery?

My mother suspected that I inherited from my dad, a sometimes horrible sense of humor :D 

5 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Have you looked for an ultra-light license? The category is still depending of the different countries all around the world, but it can be more affordable, easier to practice, and (more important) funnier.

<snip>

The club was renting it 100 euros an hour with all maintenance and fuel fees included, and honestly this aircraft was way more interesting to fly than the standard flying cans classified as "light airplanes".

In the USA, we have an "ultralight" class, no license needed -- one seat, under 254 lb empty weight, max level speed (IIRC) 55 or 65 mph (probably legally defined in kg and km/hr).  Then we have "Light Sport", two-seaters under some gross weight limit -- those are the ones that are getting lots of attention in the industry now.  Ultralights aren't vanishing, they're just being eclipsed by the Light Sport class -- but $60,000 for a light sport is about $55,000 out of my class.  I can, with some patience, get an ultralight (or a "kit", as in "fix this one up" or "finish building this, I give up") within my range.  Still need some flying lessons for safety, then there's the hour drive to anywhere I can fly it, and the inability to actually go anywhere with an airplane I can't fly to a real airport.  Light Sport is developing a terrible safety record, as a lot of people who shouldn't even be flying solo, never mind have a license, are killing themselves while showing off for their friends.

The real obstacle at present is the cost and time to get even a Light Sport license.  Without that, I can't rent an airplane of any kind (except to add to the cost of a lesson).

I find it a bit funny how I'm going to say that I've got ASD when my post is right under a discussion about plane weights and fuel economy and whatever. So yeah, I have Aspergers, Autism, ADHD, OCD, and a small amount of Tourettes. I do want to fly, and in GTA V I get in a plane and turn off the HUD and fly in first person (cockpit view). I like flying. It's great to see the world from above, you know? Down there, all those brake lights mean angry people wanting to get to or from work but are stuck in traffic jams. But in the sky, those brake lights become a red streak, over many kilometres. I've done recreational flying twice (with an instructor, of course), and really enjoy it. It's a way to escape the chaos of the world, and see nature from above. 

On 3.04.2018 at 1:02 AM, LordFerret said:

Probably true some of my friend said that i had bad attitude toward people, and that i''m more similar to that doctor, in matter of personality (because i have the other special interest of mine in field of medicine :) )   

house_gregory-1.jpg?itok=fPKHEemd

rather than this one :D 

171024-news-the-good-doctor-freddie-high  

I'm sick and tired of being nicy niece autistic some how this man become a pilot despite not having not just medical but pilot license itself :D 

And this one become a rich man in matter of days 

Well, I could only top off by everyone's mileage vary.

But you don't get mileages by sitting and writing in the forums. (unless that's the thing you wanted)

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Well, I could only top off by everyone's mileage vary.

But you don't get mileages by sitting and writing in the forums. (unless that's the thing you wanted)

I just wonder does is good thing to be nice to other people :wink: 

3 minutes ago, YNM said:

Obviously... yes. Being nice is mostly good.

Mostly, 

but not always :D 

every major religion or ethical system in the world teach us to be so, but somehow being dishonest jerk become more profitable :D 

Qurak my most favorite alien from Star Trek tell some wonderful truth   about our specie :D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.