Astra Space Inc. (formerly Ventions) Launch

tater

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

"Secretive". So no hope for a stream, video or anything more than couple of bland photos. Pft.

No, these guys are using the BO playbook, at least til they actually fly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really, really hope no one is stupid enough to store rocket propellant anywhere near housing areas of the city. Because "complying with safety regulations" does not instill any trust in me. There are plenty of articles about industrial accidents happening on supposedly well secured sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not the good PR - that's for sure. Quite frankly, i don't get those guys - it's not like their tiny launcher can put anything serious in orbit. And for some reason i'm not exactly scared of SpyCubeSats. So why bother with cloak and dagger stuff?

The smallsat launcher market is one where investors seem to think there is money to be made, but honestly, there is not room for too many players.

Rocketlab is already flying, and I think the next few fight among themselves for the scraps.

3 hours ago, tater said:

The smallsat launcher market is one where investors seem to think there is money to be made, but honestly, there is not room for too many players.

Rocketlab is already flying, and I think the next few fight among themselves for the scraps.

But is there? We've seen big players in the game - SpaceX, ISRO and others launch tens and dozens of small satellites in one go, using one of their full-sized rockets. Why would they relinquish that particular part of the market to small guys? Granted - clients might appreciate elasticity of small launch providers. Instead of waiting for big provider to gather enough contracts to justify sending a full load, they could rely on a smaller provider to launch just a handful of smallsats for a much quicker turnaround. But how much money there is for time sensitive contracts? Most satellites are planned years ahead - i would think there is plenty of time to book a rocket ride for any payload.

• 1 year later...

The Bloomberg article has short vids embedded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-astra-rocket/

75-204kg to LEO, 2.5 million per launch. Hope they reach orbit, but I think it's not super useful. The article cost comparison is vs RocketLab and SpaceX, but they don't include the rideshare price (200kg for 1M).

• 4 weeks later...