Sentinel Asteroid mapping stopped working (Solved!)

Mikki

Hi all, i have 1.4.2 and MH installed, and i tested three contracts to map asteroids endangering Kerbin or crossing orbits of Duna and Jool.

Everything seems to work until the mapping itself, i get a positive for having a sentinel on board (new launch/ vessel clearly), i get a positive for matching the desired orbit (allways prograde to sun), i activate the sentinel telescope to start mapping the roids (get confirmation text on screen) but then it seems that no mapping occurs, i played on, warped alot, (I have a working commnet connection and can transmit science btw), but still no dice.

No roids are mapped after almost 2 Kerbin years.

I guess this is a new bug, Kopernicus and SVT cause this! Sorry all!  :blush::blush::blush: can someone confirm this or is it allready on the bugtracker? (I have no login)

Edited by Mikki
Solution

Oh-oh... i have Kopernicus and Stock Visual Enhancements (SVT) installed... I really wasn`t aware this would mess it up that way...!

Shame on me...:blush:

But thank you both for clearing this up!

4 hours ago, Mikki said:

Shame on me...:blush:

Oh, no.... no problem! I'm still a little new at this myself, but I've learned when bug-hunting, having a mod installed adds in all sorts of variables, because of the way they potentially change the game. But because @bewing and I both tested different versions of the stock game, and got nothing, then it suggests it's one of your mods that's acting up.

I would check the two mod threads you mentioned, or contact the mod-makers.... politely... and see if any of them are aware of this issue. :)

• 3 years later...

I know the thread is old, and yes, Kopernicus is the problem of this "bug".
But in case anyone finds it and wants to fix their problem with Kopernicus disabling asteroid spawning by default, go to:
Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kopernicus\Config\Kopernicus_Config.cfg
and change
UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = true
to
UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = stock

After the change i got 2 asteroids within 30 seconds of restarting my game, but keep in mind, the setting is only supposed to be used with stock-like solar systems (like OPM)

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/12/2022 at 3:07 AM, Lemgo said:

I know the thread is old, and yes, Kopernicus is the problem of this "bug".
But in case anyone finds it and wants to fix their problem with Kopernicus disabling asteroid spawning by default, go to:
Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kopernicus\Config\Kopernicus_Config.cfg
and change
UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = true
to
UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = stock

After the change i got 2 asteroids within 30 seconds of restarting my game, but keep in mind, the setting is only supposed to be used with stock-like solar systems (like OPM)

Just FYI, this thread is older than this change in Kopernicus.  But anyways, on a fresh game asteroids should still spawn in Kopernicus, it's comets that won't.  Is that not happening?  I may need to open a bug for that.

EDIT:  Actually, I DO need to open a bug for that, it would appear.  On it.

Yeah, the stock setting works great for stock systems.  The "true" setting is customizable and thus works better for custom systems, but does not support comets.  Hope that clarifies.  It should have been spawning asteroids though (and soon will be, in todays release).

Maybe the wrong topic, but still, major thanks for pointing this bug out.  I think I saw your report on github but misunderstood and thought you were talking about comets, not asteroids...  my apologies.

Edited by R-T-B

Oh hey, didn't expect an answer here in this thread.

I should have written a report on github - the one you are refering to isn't mine, and also a slightly different problem.

But since I had a really hard time even finding anyone else with this problem, and pinning it on kopernicus in the first place took quite a bit of searching as well, I thought that it was intended that way...

Anyway, my encounter with the bug was when I got several SENTINEL contracts and couldn't fulfill them as the probes were not discovering any asteroids. And also the contracts were disappearing some time after accepting them without any notice. Except for one comet-search-contract, that was the only one that stayed for some reason...
I read a post from you somewhere that SENTINEL contracts should have been disabled by default with kopernicus? Can you maybe change that to a toggle setting or something? (I like my many different contracts :D )

Unfortunately Sentinel contracts are completely broken with the custom generator at the moment.  They work in the stock generator of course, with all its limitations (really only works well in stock system mods).

This is on the todo list, but I'd be lying if I said it was going to happen soon.  It's a tough problem, due to early design decisions made some time ago in Kopernicus history.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.