I always wondered: fan utlization manners

Gordon Dry

SPC = fans go take-off -> means, CPU usage is high, fans are getting noisy

VAB or flight mode = fans go silent, nearly idle-style

There is potential to use the rig, but CPU and GPU usage are not maxed out and game could go faster, but we already know that, right?

What is so CPU demanding in SPC?

^this looks kinda noobish, but I already posted before :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

And if you're describing a computer fan as noisy, it's time to go out and get some new fans with better bearings. 

this isnt always true.

i have a cpu fan on my other pc that will spin upwards of 8000 rpm and sounds like a jet engine.

8 minutes ago, invision said:

i have a cpu fan on my other pc that will spin upwards of 8000 rpm and sounds like a jet engine.

I'd be interested in seeing a link to that fan, I'm curious.   Normally fans don't spin that fast, as cavitation losses would cause it to lose efficiency. 

There's something odd in the rendering of Spacecenter/KSC view (the idle one where you select the buildings) that makes my GPU load go nuts.

But as soon as I go to any building or any other view the GPU load goes back to normal.

Not a big issue since I don't spend much time in that view.

Haven't checked on 1.4x but the space center rendering has long been a bit odd - i reported this two years ago, the R&D screen and Mission Control screen both being significantly, and measurably, more stressful than the VAB/SPH hangars:

Now like I say, I haven't tested this in 1.4, I'm pretty sure it still existed in 1.3, but it might prove a useful technique for identifying the cause of the problem and quantifying it - ie run a GPU monitoring app and just log some data. The graph above has me sat in the VAB doing nothing, flipping halfway to sitting in the R&D doing nothing. The graphs show this imparted some quantifiable extra stress.

11 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I'd be interested in seeing a link to that fan, I'm curious.   Normally fans don't spin that fast, as cavitation losses would cause it to lose efficiency. 

just says cooler master on it, no other identifying marks. this thing is noisy as hell you wouldnt want it anyways lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.