[1.3.1, 1.4.1+] Settings Master

linuxgurugamer

Fixes stock bug when there are too many settings pages.  

Unavailable at this time due to TOS

In order to fix this bug, I needed to use two lines of Reflection code to access a single private member of a class.  Since this is against the forum rules, I can't release it without permission from Squad.  I've requested it, and am waiting for a reply, but am not hopeful regarding it.

It is available for both KSP 1.3.1 and 1.4.1+

Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

There is a bug on the stock Settings screen which shows up if you have too many mods installed which add their own pages to the Settings screen.  This can break a game if you happen to go into the settings screen when you have too many mods.

This mod is designed to work around the bug by disabling some of the settings pages before you go there. 

To summarize the steps needed to hit this bug, you first need to have more than 16 mods installed which add custom settings pages.  This mod will remove itself if there aren't that many, since it won't be needed.

Step 1, at any of the screens, hit the <escape> key to bring up the Game Paused dialog, then select the Settings button:

upNvuqj.png           DeFjGIl.png     

This will bring up the Settings dialog, select the Difficulty Options button at the top of the dialog:

SzJxYm3.png         Qlsv7BX.png

and you will get something like this:

JPwhzEH.png

As you can see, the scroll list is not functional, it extends below the window and the  Cancel and Accept buttons are even with the bottom of it.  More mods makes this worse, and even these would be a major problem if it wasn't in a 1920x1080 screen.

Now, after installing the Settings Master, you will have a new button, and clicking the button will give the following (there is a big white arrow pointing to the button):

ciSjW8Y.png

You can enable or disable the settings pages for the mods by clicking the appropriate button;  red means it is hidden, green means it will be visible.  Using the above settings and repeating all the earlier steps, you now end up with this:

nR7gMcg.png

Features

• At startup, automatically hides enough settings pages to reduce the number of settings pages to no more than 16
  • If less than or equal to 16 settings pages, the Settings manager will remove it self as not needed
  • Button to show all
  • Button to hide all
  • Toggle to put the toolbar button for the mod onto the Blizzy toolbar, if available.  Currently this options is NOT saved
  • If more than 16 settings pages have been enabled, will automatically hide enough to reduce the number of settings pages to no more than 16

Availability

Available in CKAN

Future Plans

• Open the Settings page directly and eliminate the need to have to drill down  through the stock settings screens.
  • Save the setting for the Blizzy Toolbar
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Great mod! bit of an issue though, unless i'm misunderstanding it...

Upon installation, already having the prerequisites, it shows up, highlight colors change, and the blizzy toolbar checkbox works fine, but the show/hide functions does not, at all. Selecting any mod to hide it, doesn't work, and the hide all button also does not actually hide any of them sadly.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Which is the stock bug? When the window height is too much and it has to be moved up to get the Apply and Cancel buttons in sight?

Yes, and if you have too  many, you can't even do that.

2 hours ago, DracoSilverpath said:

Great mod! bit of an issue though, unless i'm misunderstanding it...

Upon installation, already having the prerequisites, it shows up, highlight colors change, and the blizzy toolbar checkbox works fine, but the show/hide functions does not, at all. Selecting any mod to hide it, doesn't work, and the hide all button also does not actually hide any of them sadly.

I'll be updating the OP in a few minutes, but, yes,  you are misunderstanding it.  This doesn't touch the  mods at all in the game, it's only affecting the stock Settings page.  If you have more than 16 mods which create a stock Settings page, the problem is that the Settings page doesn't have a working scrollbar, so the page becomes unusable.

Watch the OP for an update, in which I'll show pics of the bug and then the result, working on it now

@linuxgurugamer @DracoSilverpath

1. it seems that the first time a button is toggled the change is not reflected inside the difficulty settings UI, so close it and go back in to see the change
  2. I have a very big suspicion that disabling buttons also disables the functionality of that mod in some way, parameters can not read out etc.
    For example, disabling the buttons of MissionControllerEC and/or ContractConfigurator only shows me a crippled down variance of available contracts and even contract groups in Mission Control.

A log (a lot of mods now, I guess I should remove some or at least choose lower textures for SVE and BLO):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpm74p08i4cy4gt/2018-04-05_1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Spoiler

I know there is a problem with CustomBarnKit, perhaps triggered by OPM/SETI/Strategia/JX2Antenna somehow...

Edit:

A workaround is to re-enable all buttons when done with the difficulty settings ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

10 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I have a very big suspicion that disabling buttons also disables the functionality of that mod in some way, parameters can not read out etc.
For example, disabling the buttons of MissionControllerEC and/or ContractConfigurator only shows me a crippled down variance of available contracts and even contract groups in Mission Control

I know about it, will be updating the OP.  It is a hack, so some issues are to be expected.

11 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

it seems that the first time a button is toggled the change is not reflected inside the difficulty settings UI, so close it and go back in to see the change

This will not work if the settings window is already opened, I'll update the oP about this as well

Unfortunately, it looks like I need to use Reflection to access a private member to make it work, and that is against the rules.  I have requested permission to release it, but am not holding out any great hope that I will get it.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 4/6/2018 at 7:47 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Unfortunately, it looks like I need to use Reflection to access a private member to make it work, and that is against the rules.  I have requested permission to release it, but am not holding out any great hope that I will get it.

I really hope you do manage to get permission to do so! So, without this mod, are we just SOL in regards to editing any of those settings that are missing/hidden on the list, or is there any workarounds?

9 minutes ago, DracoSilverpath said:

I really hope you do manage to get permission to do so! So, without this mod, are we just SOL in regards to editing any of those settings that are missing/hidden on the list, or is there any workarounds?

Right now, SOL.  I may eventually see if I can actually display a single settings page, but that's not going to happen right away

Let them know that you need this, the impression was that they feel that nobody really needs it

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Right now, SOL.  I may eventually see if I can actually display a single settings page, but that's not going to happen right away

Let them know that you need this, the impression was that they feel that nobody really needs it

Already did!

The only other way I've found to edit settings liek this so far, is to actually go and open up the save persistant file and manually edit the text settings in there, far from a good solution :(

On 4/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, Bit Fiddler said:

one thing I have done to help in this case is to scale my gui down very small before going in to settings.  this will not fix all cases, but will allow quite a few more to be seen before the list gets too long.

thats how Ive dealt with it so far too, 

On 4/6/2018 at 9:47 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

sorry...but..hu??

If we have to petition for a release, how do we help?

If Squad aren't amenable to your method, would it be possible to have this mod automatically reduce the UI scale when the settings screen is activated and then restore it afterwards?

On a 1920x1080 monitor, setting the UI to 80% (the minimum the settings allow) permits about 25 mod-added settings buttons before the "Cancel" and "Accept" buttons disappear. (As a reference, I run over 150 mods, and I've got 23 mod-added buttons on that screen.)

Also, I've noticed that if the buttons are only just offscreen, you can still click them if you drag the mouse right to the bottom of the screen.

2 hours ago, UnanimousCoward said:

If Squad aren't amenable to your method, would it be possible to have this mod automatically reduce the UI scale when the settings screen is activated and then restore it afterwards?

On a 1920x1080 monitor, setting the UI to 80% (the minimum the settings allow) permits about 25 mod-added settings buttons before the "Cancel" and "Accept" buttons disappear. (As a reference, I run over 150 mods, and I've got 23 mod-added buttons on that screen.)

Also, I've noticed that if the buttons are only just offscreen, you can still click them if you drag the mouse right to the bottom of the screen.

The bug will be fixed in 1.4.3, and I'm not putting any more time into this.

Sorry, but I asked, and if no permission is forthcoming, I'll be dropping this for now

On 04/04/2018 at 7:00 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Which is the stock bug? When the window height is too much and it has to be moved up to get the Apply and Cancel buttons in sight?

The problem is that it can actually be so long that those buttons become completely unreachable. Depends on the number of mods with settings pages you have installed.

19 hours ago, Errol said:

The problem is that it can actually be so long that those buttons become completely unreachable. Depends on the number of mods with settings pages you have installed.

I think he got the answer a while ago, that post is more than a week old

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.