Modding the game vs Playing the game...

So, I've come to find myself at an impass with KPS, more of games in general really, but especially KSP. Up till the start of the year, I've had nothing but loads of free time, and spent much of that time modding games and playing them. I would spend a solid work week+ just on mod huting and isntalling, testing, before I even set foot into the game itself, but am finding it very hard to do so nowadays with real work and time constraints!

I recently reinstalled KSP after a long break, came back for the expansion really and caught the modding bug once more. I go to work, come home, check spacedock and the release forums here for new mods, checking for updates to already installed ones, etc. and end up not playing/barely playing the game at all. Part of me is super frustrated by this, but another part of me, the modder, really enjoys all the work that goes into it, almost as enjoyable as playing the actual game in some respects I've found, but never truely the same.

So what about you all, do you ever find yourself torn between getting all the shiny mods put into a nice, playable package. Or, do you just play stock/grab a handful of essentials and just go with that?

I really enjoy both aspects and am comfortable enough MM to have whole series of custom configs. My typical approach (which I'm involved in right now) is to spend almost all my time messing with mods and getting the current game build just how I want it. After that I start playing and take an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach - I only add / update mods if it's to overcome an issue in my current build. I don't update all my mods out-of-hand because I've had too many cases where a mod update broke my save somehow.

Edited by Tyko

I ran into the same problem as you do. I first started editing individual parts configs, but when a mod updated, I had to redo everything. So I went deeper, I started making patches. So liberal uses of @PART to change items. 

Any parts I rescale, I just copy the config file of the mod and dump it into my own mod folder. I may need to add/change some paths for the models/textures/sounds etc. to make it work intially. But this way, it is always waiting until I install the mod again. For example, I really like the Smart Solar Panels from Dr.Jets Chop Shop. So I have made mutliple configs of them up to 10M. All with the appropriate stats changed. But since I link it to the model and texture still in the mod. It will not load unless I have the mod installed. I do this because I use the KRnD mod in Career games and it conflicts with tweakscale.

Now when a mod updates, I don't need to do nearly as much work. But I do enjoy hunting for a mod I didn't know I had to have and checking out update.

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I haven't played the game in 2 1/2 years. Every time I try I think to myself "wow I'd really like to have that new part I was working on..."

Dont worry, I will play your mods for you and enjoy them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.