[1.12.x] The 0.35m SSR MicroSat and Airlaunch Vehicle

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @Squiggsy make this wonderful little mod, and then went away.  The original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/108563-105ish-the-035m-ssr-microsat-and-airlaunch-vehicle-v096-out-last-updated-01032016/

The mod has been updated for KSP 1.3.1 and forward, thanks to several users on the forum.

Hello all, we at Squiggsy Space Research are proud to announce our first product, the SSR MicroSat!:

Spoiler

h2I9y8f.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

Basically this is an aeroplane launched rocket containing a 0.35m Satellite that I designed for uses such as a Remote Tech communications sat, Temperature Scan sat and what I like to refer to as a Contractual Obligation Sat (the "put a satellite in this orbit" contracts)

I was inspired by the Boeing/DARPA venture to do exactly this, as well as the brillaint and tiny CubeSats.

Recommended Mods

• FMRS (Flight Manager for Reuseable Stages) -allows you to jump back to the moment of separation and pilot your plane back to the runway before returning to the main mission, offering pretty close to complete reusability from your launch vehicle (only the SRB and upper stage are ditched, and they are small and cheap)
  • Procedural Fairings KSP 1.5.0 (dead topic but has mod release for KSP 1.3.x) there is now a fairing base using the stock ModuleProceduralFairings so this is not necessary, but if you are like me and aren't a fan of confetti, i would still recommend this
    Procedural Fairings KSP 1.4.x-1.7.x (RO team)there is now a fairing base using the stock ModuleProceduralFairings so this is not necessary, but if you are like me and aren't a fan of confetti, i would still recommend this
  • Remote Tech - this is not at all necessary but it is very much supported!
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued - makes the planes a bit more solid, stops the rockets wobbling on the underside.
  • Antenna Range 1.1.3 all antenna are compatible

Access

Thanks

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Right now, Spacedock is down, I'll check it when it comes back up

No problem.  The issue is that you copied your full link - while you were still editing the topic.  So anyone else clicking the link tries to edit the topic, and gets an error message saying they can't do that.  :wink:

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Small quibble with the liquid engine... thrust axis are slightly misaligned, and causes the overall thrust to be slightly off center. Torques produced are within the limits of the onboard torque wheels, but it's still there.

Which one, the Microsat Liquid Fuel engine or the SSR-US01 engine

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which one, the Microsat Liquid Fuel engine or the SSR-US01 engine

Microsat. I ran RCSBuildAid and put it on, and instantly had torque being produced. I spun the engine around to check if that was the source, and the torque axis shifted with it. Close visual inspection revealed that the vectors for the thrust are slightly out of alignment on all four engines.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:30 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

Microsat. I ran RCSBuildAid and put it on, and instantly had torque being produced. I spun the engine around to check if that was the source, and the torque axis shifted with it. Close visual inspection revealed that the vectors for the thrust are slightly out of alignment on all four engines.

Ok, that gives me something to start with

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Y'know, I always loved the ridiculously huge parts given to us by B9, SpaceY, OPT, etc. but tiny parts are so much fun as well. I am glad to see they are being given some love, hopefully one day we will get tiny rover parts too! :D

43 minutes ago, b0ss said:

Y'know, I always loved the ridiculously huge parts given to us by B9, SpaceY, OPT, etc. but tiny parts are so much fun as well. I am glad to see they are being given some love, hopefully one day we will get tiny rover parts too! :D

Just use this and Octosat, add some wheels, maybe tweakscale them down, and there you go

On 5/14/2018 at 7:54 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Just use this and Octosat, add some wheels, maybe tweakscale them down, and there you go

If TweakScale was a perfect solution then this mod wouldn't exist :P

7 hours ago, b0ss said:

If TweakScale was a perfect solution then this mod wouldn't exist :P

You could always use Kerbal Foundries wheels and select the smallest size? The KF Small Rover Wheel at 0.10 scale is even too small to lift an Octo2 off of the KSC runway:

tinyocto2.png

Seen here parked next to a runway light for scale, I had to use the 0.25 ratio KF Small Rover Wheel in order to convince the game's collision detection that it shouldn't just drop the Octo2 immobile on the tarmac. With a single solar panel, there's more than enough juice to run the wheels and the core!

• 2 weeks later...

After playing with this mod, I find it makes the absolute best relays.  

It could use an expansion, though.  Specifically some Xeon engines, a science storage module, a reentry shield and a parachute.

Edited by Ruedii

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

After playing with this mod, I find it makes the absolute best relays.  

It could use an expansion, though.  Specifically some Xeon engines, a science storage module, a reentry shield and a parachute.

It already has a xenon engine and tanks, and the stock mini science hard drives should do the trick i think. heatshield would be really nice, although i'm not sure how useful it'd be since crafts this tiny are usually just mini communication relays, likewise with the parachute. Since our pal Linux is only maintaining this however, it's never gonna get any new parts unless someone decides to make an expansion for it