The Ultimate Dogfighter: a BDArmory fighter jet competition.

In order to train the new KAF pilots, you have been contracted to make an aggressor fighter jet. The competition for the contract is fierce. Can yours stay at the top?

This is a BDArmory fighter competition. 

RULES:

1. The battles are run King Of The Hill style. You fight the 5th place aircraft, and work your way up the leaderboard.

1.1. There are 5 maintained spots on the leaderboard. 

1.2. Fights are 3v3 matches, best out of 3.

2. No space-grade parts permitted (oxidizer, monoprop, rockets, non-cockpit reaction wheels, ISRU, etc). 

2. Ore is allowed for ballast purposes only.

3. No drones (or lawn chairs).

4. Armor thickness must be left at the default value.

5. No unreasonable part clipping

6. 75 part count limit(may be raised  later to 85 if necessary)

7. No decouplers/multi-staging (this is a plane, not a rocket!)

8. Up to 2 Vulcan hidden 20mm cannons, 1 GAU-8, 6 Browning AN/M2 .50 cal, or 2 M230s (locked in forward position)

8.1. No turrets (unless locked in forward position).

8.2. No mixing different types of guns.

9. Up to 6 AIM-9 "Sidewinder" missiles.

9.1. AIM-9s are the only missiles allowed. 

10. Up to 4 flare boxes

11. Your plane must fall under 1 of two categories: light and heavy fighters.

11.1. Your plane (light or heavy) has a two engine limit. 

11.2. Thrust is calculated with the engine on AB (if applicable).

12. Light fighters must weigh at least 6t at combat weight. 

12.1. Light fighters can have up to 250kn of static thrust, and at least 400 units of liquid fuel.

13. Heavy fighters weigh at least 12t at combat weight. 

13.1. Heavy fighters can have up to 500kn of static thrust, and at least 800 units of liquid fuel. 

14. Editing of the craft outside of the game (e.g, text editing in notepad) is ABSOLUTELY prohibited. (Looking at you @Eidahlil)

15. BDA 1.1, and KSP 1.3.1 is used.

15.1. We will use 1.4.x as soon as BDArmory is ready :cool:.

15.2. AirplanePlus and BDArmory (duh!) are the only allowed mods.

16. Have fun!

17. If you have any questions, ask me (@dundun92).

PLANES IN TESTING:

[none yet]

LEADERBOARD:

Edited by Guest

39 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

2. No space-grade parts permitted (oxidizer, ore, monoprop, rockets, non-cockpit reaction wheels, etc).

Whaat? I'm out

40 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

3. No drones

Bye

40 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

8. Up to 2 Vulcan hidden 20mm cannons

The cherry on top

8 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Whaat? I'm out

Bye

The cherry on top

Lol. This isn't an unlimited challenge... 

Though you could simply slap a cockpit on a Berzerkezer, and half the vulcans, and remove the reaction wheels. XD

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Though you could simply slap a cockpit on a Berzerkezer, and half the vulcans, and remove the reaction wheels. XD

That would kill it :P

I'll make a piloted Lancer, perhaps

Yepa :wink: I fine with all your rules except only one . 1 Engine on a 12 Tons heavy fighter , erf , Slow as hell . I got 6 Panters on my typhoon with 20 Tons ( wet mass )

There's no HP value in your rules , i supposse using Default Hit Points !

A flat 3000 HP wing need 46 Ammo before been destroyed , BUY AMMO BOX !!!

Don't think having time to build something before tomorow , but you can count on me to submit something :wink: 

Btw , unlimited challenge is more intresting .

Nice day on Kerbin .

9 minutes ago, ZLM-Master said:

only one . 1 Engine on a 12 Tons heavy fighter , erf ,

Oops, its supposed to be two. My mistake.

10 minutes ago, ZLM-Master said:

There's no HP value in your rules , i supposse using Default Hit Points !

Don't you need DoctorDavinci's mod to do that though? Its currently stock+APP+BDA.

I still use the HP Editor from PapaJoe ( BDAc module ) HP_Armor_Editor.v0.0.2.0.3.18.18

It's a BDAc icon in the SPH but seem to be a DCK Mod , honestly , i don't know , the HP Editor is a stand alone mod in my Gamedata ^^ Don't have DCK in this KSP Version ^^

zC67Jh5.jpg

3nxj85u.jpg

But if i'm right , it's integrated to the last DCK update . So in real , i'm not using DCK here !

3 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

The engine number limitation for aircraft mass makes Tiger engines impractical.

Especially nutty is the fact that the real F-5 Tiger wouldn't be valid in this competition under that rule, due to only being ~7t loaded.

Perhaps set an engine number limitation per specific engine?

Forgot about that... I edited it to have a kn limit

54 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

>4 50cal max
even old fighters like the spitfire had 6 guns

>no ore
*dies*

>light fighters only permitted to use 1 engine
*cough* F-5 Tiger *cough* 

>only BDAc and AirPlanePlus permitted
o..ok..

BDAs .50 cals are actually overpowered. But I upped it to 6 anyway. Also, what is the ore for:wink:?

Edited by Guest

55 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

>4 50cal max
even old fighters like the spitfire had 6 guns

Or to go with the theme, the F-86 Sabre had 6x .50 cals.

1 minute ago, dundun92 said:

Also, what is the ore for:wink:?

I think that's what we're wondering.

Also is the thrust limit with afterburners or no...

Edited by Box of Stardust

3 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Or to go with the theme, the F-86 Sabre had 6x .50 cals.

I think that's what we're wondering.

Also is the thrust limit with afterburners or no...

With AB. And there is a 2 engine limit for all aircraft. 

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, ZLM-Master said:

I still use the HP Editor from PapaJoe ( BDAc module ) HP_Armor_Editor.v0.0.2.0.3.18.18

HP_Armor Editor is my mod, not Papa Joe's

It's a BDAc icon in the SPH but seem to be a DCK Mod , honestly , i don't know , the HP Editor is a stand alone mod in my Gamedata

I released it as a standalone mod for testing and have now removed the links, deleted the repo and locked the dev thread as it is now a part of DCK FutureTech (not to be confused with DCK) .... basically if you are using the HP/Armor editor you are editing the craft file without using notepad or whatever text editor one would use to edit it which means you are breaking the rule of no editing the craft file

@dundun92 - could you confirm if my above statement is the case?

But if i'm right , it's integrated to the last DCK update . So in real , i'm not using DCK here !

No, you are not using DCK, you are using a test release of a feature of DCK FutureTech ... either way, it is a mod and it has been explicitly stated that: 

15 hours ago, dundun92 said:

15.2. AirplanePlus and BDArmory (duh!) are the only allowed mods

..... seeing as the HP/Armor Editor is a mod and is not in the list of mods allowed (see above), using it falls outside the scope of this challenge

Edited by DoctorDavinci

44 minutes ago, ZLM-Master said:

@DoctorDavinci oops sorry , i've been disturbed by the BD icon in the SPH . So now it's officialy DCK FutureTech , great :wink:

Not update mods for a while & still have your 2nd test release . Just asked for HP but if it's considered as text editing i will not use it .

Thx for answers .

Ummm, the issue isn't that it may be considered as a way of bypassing the no editing of craft files rule ... More along the lines of the fact that it is a mod and there are only 2 mods allowed for this competition and the hp/armor editor is not one of them

BD Armory Continued v1.1 Final (for KSP v1.3.x) and Airplane plus are the only alowed mods according to the OP which means if you use the hp/armor editor you are breaking the rules for this challenge

As for the BD icon ... My original intention was to have it included in BDAc but we decided that it would not be included and instead be set up as it's own mod which I then decided to just put it in DCK FutureTech along with the manual GPS entry deal and other shenanigans I created ... The Icon no longer has the BDA symbol overtop of a heart , it now has DCK over a heart

On another note, DCK no longer contains accessible parts and now is only a standalone texture switching deal for the Camo and other textures included in it ... The parts that still remain in it will be removed in the next update as all parts have been moved to DCK FutureTech (Shields, Active Camouflage, YCSM Stealth, Hunter/Killer Satellite, Hammer of Dawn Satellite, GPS tracking and logging Satellite, NanoTech Repair System, Hull Integrity Field etc...)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@dundun92 - could you confirm if my above statement is the case?

I would probably place it under rule 15.2, because you are still editing it in-game, simply with a mod other than BDA/APP. Thus, it technically shouldn't violate rule 14. By common sense though, it probably would violate rule 4.

Edited by Guest

@dundun92 so this hp/armor editor issue in this challenge has shown me that I am going to have to make a challenge host hp/armor reset button to change the hp and armor values back to stock values if they have been modified by the editor ... I'll end up adding it into DCK FutureTech since that is where the editor went

Having an editor out in the wild without a reset button can lead to a bit a shenanigans ... adding a reset would save you  and other challenge hosts some frustration methinks :wink:

This is actually part of the reason that the editor was not included in BDAc as it has the potential to cause a lot of problems in relation to challenges and such ... Also why I deleted the repo and removed all the links to it, so that it can't be used for nefarious means

The current one that is out there will only work for BDAc v1.1 Final for KSP v1.3.1 and will not be functional for any other version of BDAc or KSP going forward

Edited by DoctorDavinci

2 minutes ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

balancing my planes so the CoG stays in place if the fuels were empty
also adjusting CoG

Well, I am allowing it for ballast purposes now.

What has two 20mm cannons, two jet engines, and six hardpoints?

"Which plane am I going up in, Captain?"

munQA5L.png

The literal purpose of those engines.

Oh, and you'd better believe it's slow as a slug, despite weighing no heavier than the actual aircraft and having as much thrust as the actual aircraft. Probably has something to do with drag, idk. Will have to change to an F-20 Tigershark using a Panther engine to make this thing actually move. 1 Panther is equivalent to about 4 Tiger engines, so that would definitely help in the thrust department.

But (un)surprisingly, build an aircraft to a real design, and it turns out the CoM and CoL fall right where they need to be!

I haven't put an AI on this yet, so no tuning yet. Also, it can't win in a KSP BDA competition lol. But it looks nice!

ACE COMBAT 5 INTENSIFIES

Mmm , I'm in a big deal ! I try to tune my SHARK III to fit with this champ , Renamed SHARK IV , and have something good but as you see Number of parts is good , Thrust is good , Mass is good .

Weaponnary fit the rules . Yep but just realise that the mass of the craft is 11.787 KG With 400 L of fuel , so , must i leave it in Light Fighter or must i raise up to 12 Tons+ and entry to heavy Fighter ? That way i can raise up Thrust Powa even if flying attribute is good enouth in this setup . MMmm .

That way i can build another Light fighter ..... MMMMmmmmm .

5W6981y.jpg

MMmmmmmmm ..... Oh ! It's You .....

11 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

What has two 20mm cannons, two jet engines, and six hardpoints?

"Which plane am I going up in, Captain?"

munQA5L.png

The literal purpose of those engines.

Oh, and you'd better believe it's slow as a slug, despite weighing no heavier than the actual aircraft and having as much thrust as the actual aircraft. Probably has something to do with drag, idk. Will have to change to an F-20 Tigershark using a Panther engine to make this thing actually move. 1 Panther is equivalent to about 4 Tiger engines, so that would definitely help in the thrust department.

But (un)surprisingly, build an aircraft to a real design, and it turns out the CoM and CoL fall right where they need to be!

I haven't put an AI on this yet, so no tuning yet. Also, it can't win in a KSP BDA competition lol. But it looks nice!

ACE COMBAT 5 INTENSIFIES

Lol. An F-20 would definitely perform better. It does look quite realistic though. 

2 hours ago, ZLM-Master said:

Yep ! Not fully tuned but here's my entry , test only again my own crafts so , don't really know for now !

Rz5TjH0.jpg

Link when better tune on it . probably tomorrow !

Nice day on Kerbin .

Nice. They look great! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.