Anyone know the colouring of Voskhod II?

zpox357

Heya, I'm currently doing a small project on the history of spaceflight, and I need some photos/drawings showing the Voskhod II launcher. But so far I've found it difficult because I've seen several different Voskhod colour schemes listed as Voskhod 2. Like this one https://tinyurl.com/ybvdnejk or this one https://tinyurl.com/yapdwttp, or this one  https://tinyurl.com/yc6n9nj7I'm thinking it was all grey/unpainted, but I can't be sure.

It doesn't help that the Voskhod 2 mod for KSP has the paint scheme of Orange, White and Green either, but I can't rely on that to be historically accurate.

Anyone happen to have a good source/personal knowledge on the paint scheme for Voskhod 2? Maybe someone has even made a model of it at some point or something.

Anyway, thanks!

I'd go with a mostly green scheme (unless you're doing it full of LOx, then add the white frosting).

Most photos I've seen seem to indicate that the payload shroud is the same colour as the rocket and there are no orange bands. The green colour should be pretty close to a current soyuz booster colour. The black and white second stage was for Voskhod 1.

http://www.spacefacts.de/graph/photo/large/english/voskhod-2_pad_2.htm

4 hours ago, p1t1o said:

500x700_c0146605-voskhod-2_rocket_on_lau

Wait!? It was snowing at Baikonur Cosmodrome? Ah balls, that changes everything. Thanks though, that reference is exactly what I needed! It's definitely Voskhod 2, it has the bulge for the airlock.

24 minutes ago, zpox357 said:

Wait!? It was snowing at Baikonur Cosmodrome? Ah balls, that changes everything. Thanks though, that reference is exactly what I needed! It's definitely Voskhod 2, it has the bulge for the airlock.

Speaking of snow, this excerpt from the wiki, describing the landing, is quite interesting:

The delay of 46 seconds caused the spacecraft to land 386 km from the intended landing zone, in the inhospitable forests of Upper Kama Upland, somewhere west of Solikamsk. Although flight controllers had no idea where the spacecraft had landed or whether Leonov and Belyayev had survived, the cosmonauts' families were told that they were resting after having been recovered. The two men were both familiar with the harsh climate and knew that bears and wolves, made aggressive by mating season, lived in the taiga; the spacecraft carried a pistol and "plenty of ammunition", but the incident later drove the development of a dedicated survival gun, the TP-82. Although aircraft quickly located the cosmonauts, the area was so heavily forested that helicopters could not land. Night arrived, the temperature dropped to −5 degrees Celsius (23 degrees Fahrenheit), and the spacecraft's hatch had been blown open by explosive bolts. Warm clothes and supplies were dropped and the cosmonauts spent a freezing night in the capsule or Sharik in Russian. Even worse, the electrical system completely malfunctioned so that the heater would not work, but the fans ran at full blast. A rescue party arrived on skis the next day as it was too risky to try an airlift from the site.[8][9] The advance party chopped wood and built a small log cabin and an enormous fire. After a more comfortable second night in the forest the cosmonauts skied to a waiting helicopter several kilometers away and flew first to Perm, then to Baikonur for their mission debriefing.

You just know the vodka was flowing around that fire :wink:

And to think, that same launch pad is still in use  today...

Also, sort of off topic, but if I am not mistaken, you are Yippie357/Dentipus! I was a big fan of your videos back in the day, sorry to see that you lost the time and/or motivation to make them. :( Any particular reason for making a few of them private?

Also, I loved your video on the girder tree!

5 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And to think, that same launch pad is still in use  today...

Also, sort of off topic, but if I am not mistaken, you are Yippie357/Dentipus! I was a big fan of your videos back in the day, sorry to see that you lost the time and/or motivation to make them. :( Any particular reason for making a few of them private?

Also, I loved your video on the girder tree!

Woah, that’s pretty unexpected,

You just made my day :D

It’s fairly simple, I loved making the videos, but as I moved towards higher education I found it harder and harder to find the time. And I didn’t achieve what I wanted to academically, which really affected me for a while.

But the reason I mention that is, a couple of years later I was looking around colleges and unis trying to figure out how I might get into Computer Animation (so I could make more badass videos about space) but I was pretty skeptical about getting into any because all I had was some mediocre design work.

I chucked some of my YouTube videos in there too, y’know to pad things out a bit. But one of the interviewers really took a shine to them, and they turned out somehow being far more important than any of my school work. I told them about why I made the videos, and how space flight inspired me to tell stories. And in short, I’m finishing a foundation year now, hoping to study C.A. this September.

And, funnily enough that’s why I’m here asking about Voskhod. Another testament to how influential KSP has been in some people’s lives. Anyway, it means a lot to me that you enjoyed my channel,

I’m still kinda proud of it. I’ve always thought that if I make anything I’m particularly pleased with in the next few years, it’ll probably turn up there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.