Inflatable heatshield use

Templar2464

Hi I was just wondering if I'm using the inflatable heat shield correctly, I'm trying to descend to the surface of eve but as soon as the heat starts to build up my craft starts to flip end over end. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on keeping my craft straight?

It's because it introduces a lot of drag at the front end that is well ahead of the centre of mass. 

The two things to be done are to get the CoM down near the heatshield and to get more drag at the back end. 

Common things implemented for Eve are to put one of more inflatable heat shields at the back of the craft to act as a kind of sea anchor. Personally, I prefer to attach a lot of disposable air brakes there. Just position them so they are within the heat occlusion cylinder area extending behind the heatshield. 

Edited by Foxster

Wings, or ailerons will help keep your craft oriented properly on decent.  Also turn on SAS and RCS.  Depending on your ships design, with SAS choose either prograde/retrograde or in the case of space planes usually  radial out.

Even though my MK2 spaceplane didnt technically survive a reentry on it's own into eve, I have found that it is entirely necessary to have two 10m heatshields, as craft seem to LOVE to flip to the wrong side and burn up. Place a ball of 10m heatshields if all else fails.

I usually place another shield at the back to balance the drag...
You have to strut everything really well to resist the high Gs when hitting the more dense layers of Eve's atmosphere...
The back shield must point towards the direction you want the craft to fly or it will get unstable... You do this by attaching the back shield on it's back node, and use the gizmo tool to rotate it 180°, because it only opens if it's front node is free.
1u02ItA.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.