Binary Aerospace

9 hours ago, Saxie81 said:

This is the post that pushed me to create an account here.  I love the fluff mate! great stuff. 

Thank you @Saxie81! I really appreciate your kind words!

14 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Wow... :) the effort you put into this is incredible! Looking forward to next update!

Thank you @SiriusRocketry! Same for me on your thread!

Probably the best thought out and presented program I’ve ever seen. You’ve probably got a lot of time on your hands, but who the hell cares when the outcome is this good! Your initial rockets are simple, but beautiful and practical. I personally don’t like too much going on, so you’ve won me over.

I’ll be watching this program closely. Kudos/cookies/moar boosters to you my friend.

Edited by Shaun

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

Probably the best thought out and presented program I’ve ever seen. You’ve probably got a lot of time on your hands, but who the hell cares when the outcome is this good! Your initial rockets are simple, but beautiful and practical. I personally don’t like too much going on, so you’ve won me over.

I’ll be watching this program closely. Kudos/cookies/moar boosters to you my friend.

Thank you very much @Shaun, I really appreciate your feedback!

Regarding my time, it’s the opposite :D, between work and family my actual daily free time is usually less than 2 hrs, usually very late in the evening, so some days I’m not even able to open up KSP, without even considering about having the right “mental energies” for producing graphics. Now I’ve also quite a backlog for the Ares program assets...

In the end I decided not to rush and take the necessary time to do something that is enjoyable and fun both for me and for the reader.. slow... yeah maybe very slow... but do it in the right way. And obviously your feedbacks are really the motivating force behind that and I cannot thank you enough!

Regarding the craft you’re totally right, they are quite simple, actually it’s the first play through with only Stock parts in all those years and I really desired to keep a clean approach. The very fun part is that with limited parts you’re actually forced to be more creative... yeah actually that was not what happened with these Comet rockets :D

I found you a few days ago from you replying on someone else's post! I love the comet launchers and am currently using them in my game! I can't wait to see your other crafts whenever they get "approved"!

17 hours ago, betony1 said:

I found you a few days ago from you replying on someone else's post! I love the comet launchers and am currently using them in my game! I can't wait to see your other crafts whenever they get "approved"!

Thank you @betony1! Have you seen that all the upper stages has core as-well? This should allow you to deorbit them and remove clutter from your orbits. 

3 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Love the Comets, my only question is: why are the aeroshells/fairings so small?

Thank you my friend! Well... to be honest I tested the payload with NRAP, and I didn't figure out that it should have been better to provide with bigger fairings. However, they should cope with bigger mass aswell, same with bigger heights, I tested an absurdly configuration with the II and III and they have not tipped (my worst fear!)

Sorry for the short of updates, was in vacation and got caught by fever returning! I finished all the testings for the planes of the Ares project, expect some updates in the next days!

6 hours ago, rawghi said:

Thank you @betony1! Have you seen that all the upper stages has core as-well? This should allow you to deorbit them and remove clutter from your orbits.

I did, I use a stage recovery system! but having said that, I have it set to zero debris, because I usually have too much junk!

Newsfeed - May 5th 2018

Unveiled the ARES program aircraft and available to the market!

Today we announce the end of the ARES program! With 4 aircraft developed in multiple variants, the Jet Laboratories made ganerally abailable to the market the first aircrafts series from Binary Aerospace.
You can find all the details, images and blueprints on the ARES program page.

Here some images from the program page:

LUf4lSu.jpgyVYJFed.jpgMb4WpN8.jpg

In the upcoming days we will walk you throught the next steps of the Binary Aerospace program, along as many exciting news going on at the company HQ. We call the day off al leave you to the Ares aircraft!

CEO notes (non-fiction)

Super in a hurry update after having spent last days preparing the screens, hope you enjoy them! Will be back during the weeks for more fiction stuff! Have a great weekend!

Edited by rawghi

Newsfeed - May 7th 2018

Welcome again to this back-to-back update! We felt the urge to reach you again as the ARES completion annoucement literally dragged all our forces away, but we have a lot of news to share with you.

So going back to ARES, the program was a great success as we met without any hiccups the targeted goals of delivery the four aircrafts. Talking about the variants that we released, what we thought is that the ER variants (the extended ranges) could have been bundled along with the main version. Nonetheless we're already processing the orders that are coming like crazy to our offices.

So after COMET and ARES completion, we've in development only one active program, which is the SUMMIT, that is being worked on by the Skunkworks. So far we reached 13 flown missions and a new assets were added to the pool. Along with the X-2A which was an high speed tech-demonstrator, we added the X-6 Centaur which is an evolution of the design, especially from a size point of view, that is targeted to reach and stay in orbit as a SSTO. The X-2B, the first candidate to be a spaceplane, was removed due to the inability to fit the necessary hardware (and most of all, fuel requirements) to reach space.

So what's next? The board of directors took some time to investigate where to move for the Space Division and Jet Labs and they will socialize their decision shortly. Nonetheless, we know that the Space Division is already testing "something", but further details for now are pure speculations.

And now, some interesting information about our revenues! Below you can see the actual details about the units we sold as of today:

jgaMpuF.png

The number in the center of the column is the amount of units while the value in blue on top is the amount in Funds. It's clearly visible that the highest revenue and request are for the Comet IV, and, thanks also on the individual cost, we're getting big number of the newly disclosed B-4 Raven bomber.

Last but not least, we welcome Joebin Kerman as the latest engineer to join our testing team!

CEO notes (non-fiction)

Back to new things to create! Along with my issues with spaceplanes (I'm very bad in building them...) I'm planning to start soon two new programs... I believe I will be able to prepare the dedicate pages in the following days. I'm also stuck at 1.4.2... not sure to move immediately to 1.4.3 mainly because I would need to re-ensure the mods I'm using are ok, both for the vanilla installation (where only utilities mod unaffecting craft are installed) and for the visual embellished one that I use to take screenshots.

Ah, I've also used the "downloads" of KerbalX to represent the actual number of craft sold... it's obviously just for fun to gave a feedback on the vessels that can be fictionalized that is not dependant on my assumptions. 

3 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Excellent! I can't believe your craft are so popular, that's is some mighty fine work, my friend! Keeping posted!

Maybe it’s only because of the colored flyer :D jokes apart, I got good feedback on the A-1, even if it’s one of the least popular!

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I love me some statistics!

Me too!

fYpwePD.png

HORIZON PROGRAM

Operational Unit: Jet Laboratories
Start Date: 7th May 2018
End Date: TBD
Goal: Development of cargo and passenger airplanes.
Scope: Opened

Assets Planned:

• C-50 - Business jet
  • C-75 - Regional jet
  • C-100 - Civilian cargo jet
  • C-120 - Short to medium range, narrow-body commercial passenger jet

Program Description

The Horizon program will be the first effort from Binary Aerospace to manufacture jet targeted to the civilian market. It will be composed by the development of four airplanes: three passenger jets, the C-50, C-75 and C-120 which will be respectively a business jet, a regional jet and a narrow-body commercial passenger jet targeted for short to medium flights, and the C-100 which will be a cargo jet with approximately the same size of the C-120 and will share multiple component with it.
The program will have initially an opened scope, which means that additioanl aircraft may be developed along the way.

Kerbonauts

TBD

Launches

TBD

Produced Assets

TBA

General Availability (on KerbalX)

TBA

Images

N/A

Outcome

TBA

q4JYxwD.png

PERSEUS PROGRAM

Operational Unit: Space Division
Start Date: 27th April 2018
Goal: Development of small sized spacecrafts.
Scope: Closed

Assets Planned:

• K-1 Pegasus - Single seated orbital spacecraft
  • K-1E Pegasus Plus - Single seated orbital spacecraft with extended capabilities 
  • K-2 Perseus - Twin seated orbital spacecraft
  • K-2E Perseus DSM - Twin seated orbital spacecraft with deep space mission capabilities

Program Description

The Perseus Program will be the effort of Binary Aerospace to provide small sized spacecraft to the aerospace market. It will feature the development of two spacecraft, in two variants each. The first one will be the K-1 Pegasus, a single seated orbital spacecraft with a "Plus" variant for allowing extended capabilities like a scientific module and extended range. The second, in chronological order, spacecraft that will be developed will be the K-2 Perseus, a twin seated, much larger vessel that will also sports a variant that will enable the spacecraft to perform long mission and generally deep space mission capabilities.
The scope is closed and no additional assets are planned to be built.

Kerbonauts

TBD

Launches

TBD

Produced Assets

TBA

TBA

Images

N/A

Outcome

TBA

IB5MBrq.png

METEOR PROGRAM

Operational Unit: Space Division
Start Date: 8th May 2018
Goal: Development a series of small-medium sized launch systems able to delivery a payload in orbit between 5 and 15 tons.
Scope: Closed

Assets Planned:

• Meteor-L (R-2A) - 5t to LKO, multistage
  • Meteor-M (R-2B) - 8t to LKO, multistage
  • Meteor-H (R-2C) - 10t to LKO, multistage
  • Meteor-I (R-2D) - 3t to interplanetary, multistage

Program Description

The Meteor Program will envision the development of three small-medium sized launch systems able to respectively place in LKO a payload of 5, 8 and 10 tons respectively. The nomenclature L, M and H identify Light, Medium and Heavy. The company purpose is to proceed in an upper market segment with launchers that can not only deliver satellites and probe, but also small-sized spacecrafts in a secure manner, allowing for a redundancy of safety systems and resources. 
The program will have a closed scope as no more than the three above rocket will be developed at this stage.

Update - May 16th 2018: Added Meteor-I variant, an 3t interplanetary able launch system that adds a Comet II/III/IV upper stage (S-CHS+ stage) on top of a Meteor-H

Kerbonauts

TBD

Launches

TBD

Produced Assets

TBA

TBA

Images

N/A

Outcome

TBA

Edited by rawghi

Newsfeed - May 9th 2018

Hello fellow customers, partners and visitors!
You are probably wondering why we have another update in this very short timespan, well, it’s to finally disclose the latest decision from our Board of Directors!

Lizelle Kerman, our VP, in a press conference this morning announced that three new programs were kicked off in these days and will be the major focus on the company in the upcoming weeks. 
Two programs were assigned to the Space Division, lead by Barvis Kerman. After the successful completion of the Comet program, engineers were already working at the Perseus program, that will envision the development of two manned spacecraft, the firsts of the company. Along Perseus, in this very day Meteor program is about to be kicked-off, and it will be the continuation of the efforts in the launchers market started with the Comet family. Meteor will be a new family of rockets able to deliver between 5 and 15 tons to LKO, and will be extensively used on the Perseus program spacecraft, having been decided that the payload capacity required is either too much or with too little margin for leveraging on the Comet family.

The third program, labeled Horizon and assigned to the Jet Laboratories lead by Mitrid Kerman, will see the development of four commercial aircraft, passengers and cargo. Jet Labs just finished the activities on Ares but the activities on the new program already started yesterday. With this move, Binary’s intent is to establish the company as a full aerospace firm not solely limited to the military in terms of airplanes.

Amongst Lizelle’s speech, Macgun Kerman, the Director of Skunkworks, announced that the division successfully completed all the unmanned tests of the X-6 Centaur, a SSTO experimental spaceplane part of the Summit program. Now manned testing phase will commence and there was a re-evaluation of the strategy to approach the market.

Initially, experimental and technological demonstrator was intended then to be generally available, however, after discussion during the board of directors meetings, Mortimer Kerman (CFO) and the CEO Rawghi Kerman decided to prevent these assets to go to market automatically, instead, a more refined, market-ready version will be included of the program and made available. Summit envisioned initially two vessels, X-2A, a tech demonstrator for high speed, successfully developed and X-2B a prototype spaceplane, cancelled due to inability to reach the targeted goals.
After the cancellation of the X-2B, the X-6 Centaur was conceived as a replacement and it’s providing successful, so the intent for the program’s assets will be to skip the marketing of the X-2A, having difficulties to identify customers interested in it, and transforming the X-6 Centaur in the S-6 Centaur and make it the only assets that will be sellable.
This whole change is to ensure that the offering is consistent and the products delivered keeps being purposeful and respect quality standards.
We will anyway socialize graphs and telemetry of the X-2A and possibly the prototypal X-6.

Talking about standards we will also update the qualification guidelines for spaceplanes, just to accommodate the S-6 offering and the spacecraft for the Perseus program as soon as possible. 

Summarizing, we are now running four different programs, three new (you see the program pages just above this post) and one ongoing, and you know that we’re discussing for the acquisition of an additional center in the middle of the desert? We will talk more about this in future updates, in the meantime, stay tuned! 

CEO notes (non-fiction)

Not much to say outside the fiction! Mainly because it was ALL about the fiction :D
Btw, I finally manage to have a safe, stable, and reliable SSTO! Need only to tweak a little more to have more space Delta-V in orbit. Bye!

4 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

K-1 'Pegasus'... Love that name! Ooooh I am so excited to see this, and your Meteor rockets too! I myself don't have much interest in non-spaceplanes, but perhaps your program will change my mind...

You mean aircraft/rovers Sirius?

7 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Sorry... I meant passenger spaceplanes, like your upcoming Horizon program.

I love them! Bad things is that, especially passengers cabins, came with little customization in stock. There are wonderful mods around however

Newsfeed - May 11th 2018

Hello everyone!

This is a quick update to inform you that we had an accident in flight while testing the C-100 cargo plane. After an aerodynamic fault, the plane endured a destruction of the left wing thus losing controls and entering an uncontrolled descent. Luckily the crew, composed by the pilot Geneemy Kerman and the engineer Wenmore Kerman were able to eject with parachute and land in the Booster Bay, where one of the Coastguard ship was able to recover and brought them back to the mainland. 

The two brave kerbonauts were then brought to the nearest hospital where doctors confirmed their well-being and some minor bruises. Nonetheless, the company decided to have them resting for the upcoming month and provided them with a salary award to compensate for the accident.

In the meantime, Space Division is progressing on the Meteor-L launch system with three launched undertook from the launchpad in these days.

That's all, we hope to bring you more news as soon as possible!

CEO notes (non fiction)

Well this was an unplanned newsfeed, apparently I was hit by a craft related Kraken. Usually when testing airplanes, I equip them with a probe that allows me to perform initial testing without involving the crew, compensating the lack of proper engineering process before committing to a death sentence for the first pilots. That was exaclty the case for the C-100, as I tested it and it flew without any hiccups. 

So I decided for a manned flight (that I always perform after unmanned, mostly for fiction purposes), and after taking off (it's a very common cargo plane, nothing "strange") a sudden, very high aerodynamic force struck the plane on the side I was turning. At first I though I messed up something with the addition of lights (like the tail lights on plane or additional flood lights for landing), but that was not the case, also considering that the mass of lights was negligible in a plane of such size.

Anyway, the unexpected aeroforce literally had the plan "skid" horizontally thus having him turning in a couple of seconds 180°, with the consequence of having the wings teared off from the fuselage. Luckily I was like 5,000 meters so I managed to have the crew parachuting. So I started to investigate the cause. To make thing short, Initially seemed a bug with mk3 cargo bay, then I was thinking it was the fuselage too long and the force was justified.. anyway, I ended up upgrading to 1.4.3, started a new savegame (where I ported assets and kerbals), rebuild the C-100 from scratch and then... AGAIN! 

I started then reducing the fuselage lenght thinking that at this point it was my fault, being the installation new, being the craft new... but then I noticed that the tail fin was not moving at all. I usually set the fin to YAW only, tried to do that, ZERO, it was not moving. So for some reason, I came to believe that this issue is caused when you attach a tail fin to a mk3 cargo bay because I literally created two different vessels and the issue struck both. But you know the funny thing? I get back to the original one, ported, removed the tail fin, reattached a new one, tested on the groung (the control surface was correctly moving) and it flew again, without any other hiccup.

So what happened? I believe it's a mistery, because if it was that specific fin or that specific part or that specific plane, the new one I created would not have been affected, on the contrary it's quite absurd that re-adding the part did the trick. Can it be an issue when you add a fin to the mk3 cargo bay? Can it be the position ON the cargo bay? I really don't know. One thing I surely understand is that, when testing airplanes especially, performing a ground check of the control surfaces is good! 

...and besides, they do it even for real!

Edited by rawghi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.