KSP Weekly: The FELT

SQUAD

3 minutes ago, Burning Kan said:

what so hard with it?)

YES THATS THE BUG!

heureka

Ahhh, stock boulders aren't supposed to have colliders. They never have, sorry. So this isn't actually a bug. That's why I was confused.

The colliders are something @Galileo must have added into that mod of his... which, btw, I plan on checking out, thanks!

Edited by Just Jim

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

stock boulders aren't supposed to have colliders

WHY??

16 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

They never have, sorry. So this isn't actually a bug

So why the never have COLLIDERS isnt a bug drive thru rocks in a game/sim like ksp

sorry in this case i think different-ITS A BUG A UGLY ONE TOO! (sorry again squad=)

2)Yeah @Galileo added the colliders with SVT mod

16 minutes ago, Burning Kan said:

WHY??

So why the never have COLLIDERS isnt a bug drive thru rocks in a game/sim like ksp

sorry in this case i think different-ITS A BUG A UGLY ONE TOO! (sorry again squad=)

I don't know why, and I'm sorry. I just know they don't have them in a stock game. Not as long as I've been playing.

I'm assuming that's why @Galileo added them into his mod, because they're not a stock feature.

16 hours ago, Dark Lion said:

PLEASE take your time and quality-check the kraken out of the next release

Quite literally...we don't want the Kraken in the next release :wink: .

Glad to hear the bug with the 5M fairing is being fixed... it was annoying.

@Mrcarrot If you use Module Manager, I posted a patch to fix the fairing right after the 1.4.2 release.  I'm sure it was an honest mistake they will correct.

If you are still using 1.4.0 - 1.4.1 then look at my previous patch for the fairing.

Edited by Skystorm

2 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

WHY??

Wasn't the reason they don't have colliders because they randomly populate, and Squad didn't want a random rock spawning inside your base on load,  causing mass explosions and sadness?

Though, we may never know because the reasoning is probably under NDA.

5 minutes ago, Skystorm said:

@Mrcarrot If you use Module Manager, I posted a patch to fix the fairing right after the 1.4.2 release.  I'm sure it was an honest mistake they will correct.

There's been to many honest mistakes in the 1.4 era that should have been noticed by playing the game for more than 5 minutes.

2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Wasn't the reason they don't have colliders because they randomly populate, and Squad didn't want a random rock spawning inside your base on load,  causing mass explosions and sadness?

Randomly populating rocks sounds like a terrible idea. In my opinion, it should be generated once by PQS LandControl, then keep that position unless the PQS is changed by Squad or Kopernicus. That seems to me to be the best possible solution.

14 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure if this is subject to the NDA or not... I'll have to ask.

But it's a very good explanation why this might have originally happened. I totally agree, it would really suck if someone turned on ground scatter for the first time, only to have a tree or rock spawn inside a base!

Kaaa-Blammmmm!!!  :0.0:  ;.;

10 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

Randomly populating rocks sounds like a terrible idea. In my opinion, it should be generated once by PQS LandControl, then keep that position unless the PQS is changed by Squad or Kopernicus. That seems to me to be the best possible solution.

I think they only randomly populate the first time their spawned, or maybe when you change the ground scatter settings. The reason I say that is I have several "floating boulders" in my story, and many of them have been in the exact same place for a couple years. 

With no colliders it's not a problem.... but with colliders, that first time spawning scatters could be bad...

Edited by Just Jim

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

With no colliders it's not a problem.... but with colliders, that first time spawning scatters could be bad...

...Which is why(in my opinion) scatters should be on by default and (maybe) impossible to turn off.

Just now, Mrcarrot said:

...Which is why(in my opinion) scatters should be on by default and (maybe) impossible to turn off.

I have no problem with this... I like boulders and trees, and cactus... lol... and have mine set at 100%.

The only reason I think it might be an issue is for people playing on older or slower computers. They might not be able to handle a lot of scatters, depending on what they're playing on.

Just now, evileye.x said:

Kinda disappointing... 

No word from @SQUAD on fixing reentry effects. 

yeah... well... I might be bending the rules a little saying this... no idea if or when the fix will be in, but I know this was being worked on. :wink:

1 hour ago, Mrcarrot said:

Another thing you maybe, perhaps able to do (and I want to make clear: I have no idea of programming) is to disable collision on newly generated boulders if a previously existing object is found inside them and enable it if it is moved outside or destroyed.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, klgraham1013 said:

Well they could consider thinking about a "Spawn defeat" routine that prevents spawning any scatter within a player defined distance of any landed vessels within physics range.  Just saying... Then they can collide the living fluff out of every scatter a player wants.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:03 AM, Just Jim said:

The only reason I think it might be an issue is for people playing on older or slower computers. They might not be able to handle a lot of scatters, depending on what they're playing on

Settings are a thing. Seriously it's only optional.  I untick the scatter on my old MBP due to performance, but on my iMac its just fine.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

Really disappointed there's still no word whatsoever, about Next patch for Enhanced edition.

The lack of communication is really getting  frustrating. 

I won't say the new port is not an improvement( as it runs way better now)

However having such a basic thing as physical time warp  missing/forgotten about is just not excusable.

Also it has been over 2 months since release and there has been not a single mention by Squad/Blitworks as to why time warp is still/was not available.

And now I see feedback from pc players that the new 1.4 update has lots of bugs that (like the enhanced edtition) should have been noticed if someone had actually bothered to play the game for more than 5mins.

So can we please have some info about Enhanced edition update status. (Honestly don' be scared to tell us if things are harder than you thought to implement/fix.)

A little bit of honesty and real feedback will be returned with more respect and patience than you may think.

However completely ignoring your console fans is going to seriously backfire. 

Personally this is one of my favourite games of all time, however if the enhanced edition is not fixed /even acknowledged within the next 6 months.

Then I'm seriously considering never playing this game again. (Keep ignoring us and you may find the entire console community will walk away)

Then again judging by your lack of support/effort on console side (apart from new port, I do appreciate that was a fairly big task)Well maybe you are trying to kill the console community  (having regrets porting to console maybe?)

:shakes head: Here we go again. We tried to tell you squad that consoles was not a good idea. But he is right,and he is a paying customer so... lets see how you guys handle it this go-round. So now any future development of KSP (im not talking about patches) will have to be put on hold until consoles have been addressed correct? (another year) So consoles ARE slowing down development like we said it would. :facepalm:

I propose a Weekly Mission feature in devnotes or as a post of its own. The community manager is monitoring forums, reddit and other sites better than we do. Finding a feature deserving mission made in Making History shouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't it spark more interest in the expansion?

Edited by Enceos

12 hours ago, Enceos said:

I propose a Weekly Mission feature in devnotes or as a post of its own. The community manager is monitoring forums, reddit and other sites better than we do. Finding a feature deserving mission made in Making History shouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't it spark more interest in the expansion?

That's a great idea, another way to jumpstart is the weekly challenges which were introduced when the Making History expansion got announced. I don't know how long it takes to build a mission, so I don't know what the cost would be for Squad to build one weekly or bi-weekly, but it seems to me like a very good way to pull the Making History cart and make MH's mission builder and playing it more interesting.

29 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

That's a great idea, another way to jumpstart is the weekly challenges which were introduced when the Making History expansion got announced. I don't know how long it takes to build a mission, so I don't know what the cost would be for Squad to build one weekly or bi-weekly, but it seems to me like a very good way to pull the Making History cart and make MH's mission builder and playing it more interesting.

The time involved building a mission simply depends on the mission itself, and how complicated one makes it. I've been playing with the Mission Builder off and on for a while now, and I can put something relatively simple together like "Land on the VAB" in a few hours. But I've seen a couple other mission's being built that are huge, and complicated... and fun. But they take a lot longer to set up and test.

So it just depends on what you want to do, and how creative you want to be, that will ultimately determine how long the mission itself is, and how long it can take to set up and test.

13 hours ago, Enceos said:

I am all for this... or combining weekly challenges with missions... or something to that effect. One of the first things I imagined when I started playing with the Mission builder is how much fun it could be for weekly challenges, especially if other forum members jumped in and also began suggesting and/or submitting their own missions. 

The potential for Mission Builder is huge... I know it had a bit of a rocky start, but truth be told, it's still just in it's infancy. There are a lot of really creative people on here, who knows how far we can take this thing?

Edited by Just Jim

The whole point of the mission builder was that the community was/is supposed to come in and make content. 

I would not want Squad to waste their time (it does require a significant amount of time for interesting and well-made missions, its not a trivial amount of time) making content that provide at most an hour of gameplay.  You play a mission, maybe play it again until you "beat it" and then thats it.  Next mission.

I would rather they focus on giving us game improvements, new parts, or gameplay mechanics that can provide unlimited possibilities like the base game. 

7 minutes ago, klesh said:

The whole point of the mission builder was that the community was/is supposed to come in and make content. 

Agreed! While I understand @SQUAD might want to make their own "official" missions, I would really love to see the community getting creative with it. :)

Additionally, as complex as mission creation ends up being, they do need to be playtested.  Several bugs were included with Squad's missions from MH, and the rate at which they can get fixed is not conducive to a weekly challenge.

Everything from spelling errors, to events that don't trigger, to logic errors in the mission structure can be in a mission's first iteration; nobody is perfect whether they are a Squad dev or Joe Blow making a mission. 

Just look at a screenshot of what a decently complex mission looks like in the builder to understand they are not trivial to create:

Spoiler

Xubbxvx.png

Its far easier to simply type out a "Challenge" list of requirements than it is to create these missions.  This is why the reddit weekly challenges are so popular, and the subreddit for KSP missions looks like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KSP_Missions/

I have to say i am surprised how little impact the fairing drag bug had in the community.

There were only like 2-3 posts in forums discussing about it and its a pretty huge game breaking bug in a game that drag efficiency counts a lot.

Anyways i am glad it will be fixed in the next patch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.