How to make an orbit equatorial

Is there an easy way to find the equator on bodies?  Mun is fairly easy as I can zoom out and roughly line up with it's orbit around Kerbin, but Minmus and I'd imagine other bodies won't be so convenient.  As I understand it the axes of rotation for Minmus, Mun and Kerbin are all parallel, however since Minmus does not orbit Kerbin at 0 degrees inclination, it's orbit and axis of rotation are not perpendicular and so it's equator is difficult to determine.  I suppose I could just Hyperedit a cubic octagonal strut around the planet at the equator, or play with Scan-Sat as I use both mods, but is there a way to judge it in stock KSP?

Hmmmm... having an equator, or lat. & long. lines, could be handy... maybe something that could be added to the map view, with maybe an on/off switch... Yeah, I could get behind something like this.  :)

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmmm... having an equator, or lat. & long. lines, could be handy... maybe something that could be added to the map view, with maybe an on/off switch... Yeah, I could get behind something like this.  :)

That would be nice! Perhaps there would be a display showing the exact inclination from the equator?

I think the only real way to go fully equatorial without a reference would be using your heading to judge.  In a circular orbit, you'll be at a heading of 090 for prograde 1/4 orbit from AN and DN, and furthest from that heading at AN and DN.

1 minute ago, Kryxal said:

I think the only real way to go fully equatorial without a reference would be using your heading to judge.  In a circular orbit, you'll be at a heading of 090 for prograde 1/4 orbit from AN and DN, and furthest from that heading at AN and DN.

Of course, you won't know where AN and DN is, but you can still time warp and see how much your heading changes.

Once you are in the CB's SOI, if you have a probecore on your ship, then you can use KerbNet. KerbNet has a reticle with a Lat/Lon readout, and it allows you to place named waypoints at the reticle location. So you place several around the equator.

Then you can use the indicators on the navball to determine when you are crossing the equator, and you eyeball your orbital line to make it pass exactly over all the waypoints.

Additionally, of course, satellite contracts and rescue contracts typically spawn with pure equatorial orbits and you can target those for reference.

Additionally, if you are willing to cheat a teensy bit, you can use SetOrbit on any piece of debris to teleport that part into a  perfect equatorial orbit of any CB -- then target it to use as a reference. Or launch a cubic octag or whatever and use SetOrbit on that.

8 minutes ago, bewing said:

Once you are in the CB's SOI, if you have a probecore on your ship, then you can use KerbNet. KerbNet has a reticle with a Lat/Lon readout, and it allows you to place named waypoints at the reticle location. So you place several around the equator.

Ohhhhh... D'oh!!! :rolleyes:

I never thought of using Kerbnet... Great idea!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.