2001 - a space odyssey - version 2

tomf

I've created a version 2 of this mission pack which feels a lot closer to the film in structure.

The second mission, taking the Discovery to Jool has been updated using some custom nodes and the Kerbal Inventory System and can be downloaded from

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1asta11TvSZA9Im7hkWQRXPT_LL3rJiE-

To play it you are gong to need to have KIS already installed and then open the zip file which contains the missions, The 2001 parts and the code for the custom nodes.

If you don't have/don't want KIS then the original is still available from the link below.

--Original post below

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the release of the film of 2001 - A Space Odyssey I've created a pair of missions that parallel the films. They should take a couple of hours to play through.

vZRX7wY.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-6RlCEByRBbInr20cQ_WoggmcO_US0BR

It requires some slightly modified versions of @NecroBones' Joolian Discovery parts which are included in the zip

Edited by tomf
new release

8 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@tomf You beat me to it, now make a version mimicking the book. 

I thought about that but I know the film better, and there isn't a Saturn analogue anyway.

I'm not 100% happy with the climax but I can't think of a way to do it better without writing code for custom nodes, which I'm not sure anyone has done yet. If you have any better ideas let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 6:04 AM, tomf said:

It requires some slightly modified versions of @NecroBones' Joolian Discovery parts which are included in the zip

edit: it's important to  Install Joolian Discovery first, then the 2001 modified parts. (Duh!) But I think something is missing? Discovery is all stretched out with giant gaps between each part. Did I miss something?

That said, I'm pretty excited about this idea. Looking forward to seeing it once I can get all the vessels to load properly.

Edited by Zephram Kerman

20 hours ago, Zephram Kerman said:

edit: it's important to  Install Joolian Discovery first, then the 2001 modified parts. (Duh!) But I think something is missing? Discovery is all stretched out with giant gaps between each part. Did I miss something?

That said, I'm pretty excited about this idea. Looking forward to seeing it once I can get all the vessels to load properly.

You should uninstall the original Joolian discovery mod and use only the files from the modified version. If you are getting big spaces it looks like it is picking up the original somehow. I doubled the size of everything, removed the hatch on the main pod and tweaked some other stuff.

On 4/22/2018 at 11:18 AM, tomf said:

You should uninstall the original Joolian discovery mod and use only the files from the modified version. If you are getting big spaces it looks like it is picking up the original somehow. I doubled the size of everything, removed the hatch on the main pod and tweaked some other stuff.

That's what I did at first, but many parts were missing.

I'll zap everything and retry when I return next weekend. In any case, this is one of the most fun missions! Thank you for putting in a lot of work on this.

1 hour ago, Zephram Kerman said:

That's what I did at first, but many parts were missing.

I'll zap everything and retry when I return next weekend. In any case, this is one of the most fun missions! Thank you for putting in a lot of work on this.

Wait a few hours and I should have uploaded version 2 which I am much happier with. It does require KIS installed but it's much closer to the film.

On 4/29/2018 at 10:28 AM, tomf said:

Wait a few hours and I should have uploaded version 2 which I am much happier with. It does require KIS installed but it's much closer to the film.

Looking forward to it! Unfortunately, first I must fix CKAN. (Because I'm too lazy to install any mods without it.)

• 2 weeks later...

@tomf Nice spaceplane, I had fun with it!

The second mission had some quirks:

1) The antenna was repairable with just me pressing the "repair" button in the action menu, no EVA'd kerbal required. Fulfilled the wrench requirement just by going EVA and equipping the wrench then boarded the ship back.

2) Antenna goes down again around Jool - means no way to create maneuver nodes without the uplink, the ship needs a remote control capable AI core or a config tweak of the KAL part to enable the node creation.

3) I reached Jool and had only 880 dV to rendezvous with the Monolith, probably it wouldn't be enough to jump from that low orbit to a higher one.

4) The main engines of Discovery 1 were killed by the script - no way to rendezvous with the Monolith, the cargo bay doors were also shut, couldn't take the OMS ship out.

5) OMS ship ant engines were on the same stage with the main engines, I only realized that by the time I reached Jool, all the OMS fuel was already gone.

6) The Discovery 1 ship is wobbly, Autostrutting the main cabin to the heaviest part solves the problem.

Edited by Enceos

10 hours ago, Enceos said:

@tomf Nice spaceplane, I had fun with it!

The second mission had some quirks:

1) The antenna was repairable with just me pressing the "repair" button in the action menu, no EVA'd kerbal required. Fulfilled the wrench requirement just by going EVA and equipping the wrench then boarded the ship back.

2) Antenna goes down again around Jool - means no way to create maneuver nodes without the uplink, the ship needs a remote control capable AI core or a config tweak of the KAL part to enable the node creation.

3) I reached Jool and had only 880 dV to rendezvous with the Monolith, probably it wouldn't be enough to jump from that low orbit to a higher one.

4) The main engines of Discovery 1 were killed by the script - no way to rendezvous with the Monolith, the cargo bay doors were also shut, couldn't take the OMS ship out.

5) OMS ship ant engines were on the same stage with the main engines, I only realized that by the time I reached Jool, all the OMS fuel was already gone.

6) The Discovery 1 ship is wobbly, Autostrutting the main cabin to the heaviest part solves the problem.

Ok, I admit it might be a bit mean that there isn't any in game hint but there is a way to get the cargo bay open. If you have seen the film  you should be able to work out out.

I guess I could put in a spoiler tag

1 hour ago, Enceos said:

@tomf Well I did :) undocked the OMS craft and timewarped through the hull.

That's a pity, you missed out on KAL's dialog. Ok, I'll give you a clue

Spoiler

It is KAL who is locking you out of the cargo bay and making it impossible to get back on board - if only there were some way to get him off the ship...

The staging is a bug though

Edited by tomf

@tomf In my case I was locked in. After my kerbal got zero monoprop I switched control to Discovery and took Dave out to board the EVA pod, but the cargo bay closed before I could undock and fly out. That's why I couldn't figure out the right way to do the task.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.