Biggest Plane with a Juno

3 hours ago, n.b.z. said:

(This is not a dig at GoSlash27 - his plane beats mine by miles in this challenge, and was what inspired me to make one myself!)

n.b.z.,

No offense taken. I actually *did* make a proper Voyager replica inspired by this challenge, pretty much for the same reasons you did.

Yours is very graceful :)

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

55 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

I think my profile picture applies well in this thread 

Six Words 

From Xkcd

Love xkcd! Love your profile picture....

Based on KSP playing I feel that although most of us here are not qualified to work for Nasa, many could probably work for an third world space agency!

(Based on the logic shown in the picture)

1 minute ago, Andetch said:

Love xkcd! Love your profile picture....

Based on KSP playing I feel that although most of us here are not qualified to work for Nasa, many could probably work for an third world space agency!

(Based on the logic shown in the picture)

Physics there its a basic gravity turn/ slingshot maneuver from what i can tell.

Back to the plane thing... 

Who holds the current record? 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Physics there its a basic gravity turn/ slingshot maneuver from what i can tell.

Back to the plane thing... 

Who holds the current record? 

The slingshot maneuver shown in the comic is, as labeled, the Oberth Maneuver, which is a real thing, and one of the more easier things to understand in orbital mechanics; it's pretty much a gravity assist combined with burning the engines for maximum effect.

As for the plane thing, the leaderboard in the first post is pretty much current in terms of the biggest entries, so that would be me.

2 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

The slingshot maneuver shown in the comic is, as labeled, the Oberth Maneuver, which is a real thing, and one of the more easier things to understand in orbital mechanics; it's pretty much a gravity assist combined with burning the engines for maximum effect.

As for the plane thing, the leaderboard in the first post is pretty much current in terms of the biggest entries, so that would be me.

As I thought.

Ah, that was quite impressive

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HeronRocketry said:

Question: Can we fly from the Island Airfield to KSC Runway instead? (For higher take off altitude)

I suggest just going for it and seeing if you can get better results that way.

I'm inclined to sat that you won't be able to though, since, in my opinion, the altitude advantage is negligible compared to a longer and smoother runway to build up speed for takeoff.

57 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

I suggest just going for it and seeing if you can get better results that way.

I'm inclined to sat that you won't be able to though, since, in my opinion, the altitude advantage is negligible compared to a longer and smoother runway to build up speed for takeoff.

Think about it: provide something with just enough lift for it to fall, say, 0.1m every 2km, then you could make more mass in fuel, and by the time you reach the runway, it’s at say, 1 meter above the runway surface. Then you could increase fuel mass and decrease lift, giving you a heavier plane. Although, the calculations would be Scott Manley difficulty.

1 hour ago, HeronRocketry said:

Think about it: provide something with just enough lift for it to fall, say, 0.1m every 2km, then you could make more mass in fuel, and by the time you reach the runway, it’s at say, 1 meter above the runway surface. Then you could increase fuel mass and decrease lift, giving you a heavier plane. Although, the calculations would be Scott Manley difficulty.

You're talking to the record holder. Video demonstration on Page 2. 

We sort of concluded that fuel mass is lost mass, while wing mass is at least carrying its own weight.

For that mass of wings, critical speed was about 30m/s. Optimal cruise speed about 37-40m/s.

Now, if the slight dive from the additional altitude from the Island can offset any lost takeoff velocity, and perhaps even make 50+ m/s, it might work to get onto the KSC shore with maybe 53 tons.

At the weights you'll be working with for 'biggest plane', the issue you start running into is thrust-to-weight to maintain what lift you have, not more mass or lift.

Edited by Box of Stardust

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 7:17 AM, Magzimum said:

Hahaha, awesome challenge! Reminds me of this 10-year-old Youtube video:

p.s. 10 years old, explains the quality. No need for full screen, looks better if you don't, hehe.

p.s.p.s. working on my entry. Just thought I'd put this up as inspiration. :)

I studied Russian some in college and had a chance to live there in the late 90s (pre Putin).  The old Sheremetevo airport had a great viewing area.  I remember watching an IL-86 do just about the same thing. It barely cleared the trees.

However, I had a thing for the IL-62. I never got to fly in one, but I just think they are cool. 

Edited by Klapaucius

On 4/11/2018 at 8:26 AM, ManEatingApe said:

Goal: Design a streamlined and manoeuvrable craft with a sleek aesthetic.

Result: Giant Tube Worm!

kcb2rCv.png

That is way cool. I've thinking about something like that just for fun. I remember a tube shaped paper airplane in my Great International Paper Airplane book. It few really well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did it! I took a whole bunch of tries, but finally worked.

My entry is Floaty McFloatface. He's a happy triplane with double-thick wings.

PIJpaHT.png

It was slow and hard to land, but I landed with 15,177 kg of mass. I think I could pull off more, but I'm very happy with this result and want to submit it for review.

Ft2HdiD.png

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

There's no shame in that.  I've added you to the leaderboard!

Awesome!

Is there a badge for this one? If not, I had an idea for one I could make. I was thinking a Juno engine stuck to an anvil.

38 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

For anyone who might be interested, this challenge now has a badge you can put in your signature!  A big thanks to @doggonemess for lending his artistic skill!  (smaller version, suitable for inclusion in your signature, is in the first post)ZNn348R.jpg

Now I’m just gonna do this challenge for the sake of that awesome badge! What software do you use?

1 hour ago, HeronRocketry said:

Now I’m just gonna do this challenge for the sake of that awesome badge! What software do you use?

Photoshop CS6. I just make lots of layers with simple shapes on each layer to build up to a cool looking finished project.

• 2 weeks later...

The interns at the KSC needed a pet project, so Jeb recommended that they make a big plane using only a single Juno. The result looked so terrifying that even Jeb refused to fly it. 

Compared to other entries, this one sorta sucks. A measly 7.46 tonnes. 

I wasn't able to find the weight once at the island, but there were 36 units of fuel left in the tanks, so I recreated it in the editor, although it rounded to 35 fuel. 

MbYNTwL.png

cgvzcPI.png

uBvX3Zy.png

• 4 weeks later...

I know you said no parts mods, but is it okay that I used tweakscale just a *tiny* bit so I could make the pylons connecting the top and bottom wings look (and fit) better? I didn't use it on anything else.

If it is, than here's my entry:

https://youtu.be/jP82K6xEUUY

Sorry for the bad framerate. I play KSP on a kinda-old mac, and it is generally very laggy.

8,490 kg on takeoff, 8,306 kg on landing.

Stock aerodynamics.

I know it isn't that heavy, but this one's a keeper. It flies beautifully and handles very, very well. 

Edited by TeslaPenguin1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.