[KSP 1.4.4] SimpleConstruction (new thread) - Stock rocket building (Version 4.0.1 - 2018-06-24)

Ericwi

Hello to keep this mod alive I have updated it and plan to maintain it. 

This mod aims to provide simple rocket building capability to stock parts.

Download

GIT Hub Release https://github.com/EricKerman/SimpleConstruction/releases

Requires:

Module Manager, Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (both not distributed with the mod)

Special thanks to: @maculator, @taniwha, @Eleusis La Arwall, @Badsector, @cy-one and @RealGecko

for their contributions.

@MatterBeam for creating this cool mod.

Disclaimers:

This mod contains @taniwha's Launchpad.dll and textures from his Extraplanetary Launchpads.

License:

MIT

Edited by Ericwi

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sorabh said:

The build stopped, and te rocketparts was shown zero, even though I was making rocketparts, as you can see in this screenshot. What happened?

jT3Xz3n.png

I noticed a similar issue. I usually run into it when I have a large base connected by KAS. If you either f5 then f9 it works right or go back to center then back the craft and it works right. It is outside of my skill\computer to fix as it would be in the DLL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this mod! I am just playing around making plugins and I'm trying to attach spawned vessels to docking ports but I haven't been able to figure it out. This mod already has this ability so can I get your source code for this mod? I tried to get it from git hub but it was already compiled. 

Thanks taking over this mod!

4 hours ago, Aahz88 said:

Love this mod! I am just playing around making plugins and I'm trying to attach spawned vessels to docking ports but I haven't been able to figure it out. This mod already has this ability so can I get your source code for this mod? I tried to get it from git hub but it was already compiled. 

Thanks taking over this mod!

This mod is not much more than a tweaked version of Extraplanetary Lauchpads, which provides all the underlying logic. EPL has a more complicated resource chain and requires specific additional parts to do certain steps in that chain, which this mod omits and/or replaces with stock parts. So EPL is the mod to check out for the source code, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, not exactly sure where to turn for my issue. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Using SimpleConstruction, I have the problem where only some ports are available as construction pads. (I can provide more detail, logs, build, etc. but wondering if anyone has heard of this type of issue?) I'm running 1.4.3 using the latest SC version 4.0.0 (EL version 6.0.0)

Specifically, I have 2 Sr. sized Clamp-o-trons on my space station which don't show up in EL . But the 2 standard Clamp-o-trons, which are actually attached to my drone/tugs do show up as construction pads. Obviously, this causes a problem: the standard ports (attached to craft) are docked, and upon completion and release of the build, this ends up blowing everything apart.

Again, not sure if this is something I need to investigate with EL? or something related to SimpleConstruction settings? Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, scottadges said:

Hi there, not exactly sure where to turn for my issue. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Using SimpleConstruction, I have the problem where only some ports are available as construction pads. (I can provide more detail, logs, build, etc. but wondering if anyone has heard of this type of issue?) I'm running 1.4.3 using the latest SC version 4.0.0 (EL version 6.0.0)

Specifically, I have 2 Sr. sized Clamp-o-trons on my space station which don't show up in EL . But the 2 standard Clamp-o-trons, which are actually attached to my drone/tugs do show up as construction pads. Obviously, this causes a problem: the standard ports (attached to craft) are docked, and upon completion and release of the build, this ends up blowing everything apart.

Again, not sure if this is something I need to investigate with EL? or something related to SimpleConstruction settings? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you saying you are using both Simpleconstruction AND EL?

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Are you saying you are using both Simpleconstruction AND EL?

No, I'm using SimpleConstruction. But my understanding is that SC is basically EL at its core with some config settings, etc. That's why I mentioned SC version 4.0.0, but referencing the EL 6.0.0 version, which is supposed to be running OK on KSP 1.4.3 as far as I know.

After some additional testing, it appears it's mostly the Sr. docking ports which no longer work for SC construction pads. I'm able to work with standard Clamp-o-tron ports just fine. Also, other modded ports like Stockalike Station Parts Redux, FlexibleDocking, and some other modded Sr.-style ports don't appear to work with SC now, where before at least the SSPR would work.

Basically, I've done some more research and testing, but I'm not sure if I'm any closer to an answer. I would guess it's probably mod/version conflicts making this not work like before? I dunno... starting to get out of my depth as far as coding and whatnot. :(

Edited by scottadges

Hi all, I've gotten a note back from @taniwha of Extraplanetary Launchpads and he referenced the release notes where a number of things have changed.

Specifically:

[SAVE BREAKING] All EL modules have been renamed to be of the form ELModuleName. It might be possible to port old saves by doing appropriate search-and-replace edits in the save file.

@Ericwi I'm wondering if anything needs to be done with SimpleConstruction to make updates to the modules? Maybe it's a patch or something? I'm not a modder/coder, so I'm not really sure. Of course, I'm not trying to be demanding. :blush:

Does anyone else using SC have these issues with different types of ports not working in 1.4.x?

Edited by scottadges

Additional info from @taniwha on EL changes to the naming for "ExLaunchPad" in the move from 1.3 to 1.4 which may/not be related to the issue of some ports no longer working.

Here's the list of changes he identified:

Yes, changing the names should be all that's needed (except for converter configs, they're a tad more complex, depending on what is in the save).

The following is a list of the changes I could find:

• ExConstructionSkill -> ELConstructionSkill (kerbal traits configs)
  • ExConverter -> ELConverter (may need more than just a rename, though I suspect it will recover just fine)
  • ExExtractor ->  ELExtractor (may need more than just a rename, though I suspect it will recover just fine)
  • ExMallet -> ELMallet
  • ExLaunchPad ->  ELLaunchpad
  • ExRecycler -> ELRecycler
  • ExSettings -> ELSettings
  • ExSurveySkill -> ELSurveySkill (kerbal traits configs)
  • ExSurveyStation ->  ELSurveyStation
  • ExSurveyStake  -> ELSurveyStake
  • ExTarget -> ELTarget
  • ExWorkshop -> ELWorkshop

@EricwiI don't know if this is something that you might be able to look at with SimpleConstruction?

I'll stop pestering now!

10 hours ago, scottadges said:

No, I'm using SimpleConstruction. But my understanding is that SC is basically EL at its core with some config settings, etc. That's why I mentioned SC version 4.0.0, but referencing the EL 6.0.0 version, which is supposed to be running OK on KSP 1.4.3 as far as I know.

Correct, Simpleconstruction just takes the EL DLL and makes some config files.  The thing is (and why I was asking) is that It puts the EL.DLL in it's own folder, so if you installed both you would end up with 2 copies of the DLL which could cause issues.

As to your stuff below you could probably just look at the CFG files (they are just text files) and many any adjustments yourself.

14 hours ago, scottadges said:

@Ericwi I'm wondering if anything needs to be done with SimpleConstruction to make updates to the modules? Maybe it's a patch or something? I'm not a modder/coder, so I'm not really sure. Of course, I'm not trying to be demanding. :blush:

Does anyone else using SC have these issues with different types of ports not working in 1.4.x?

The large ports stopped working between 1.4.2 and 1.4.3. I know because I was using already landed crafts that were no longer working.  I do think its just update to configs. I will look at it now .4 dropped. I would not advise using the moving docking ports as launch pads. If for some reason the meshes were in each other they would explode on release. 

An adhoc solution, if you are 'roleplaying', is to have the construction base made and landed with resources and then use Vessel Mover to pop in the new craft.

Ahhh... OK now I understand. I didn't know that large ports weren't working. Do you mean, stopped working specifically as EL Launchpads or in general working. Because I'm beating my head against a wall over here with large ports in general. 

And yeah, now with 1.4.4 we'll have to play the Update Your Mods game again. It seems like every time I want to get back into this game, something is either updated or not working. :0.0:

UPDATE: After a few hours of frustration, I'm really thinking my main issue is that this was a 1.3.x setup for all my mods, then updated via CKAN, plus pulling a few more from Spacedock, etc. and not really having a clean install of mods, which is probably causing my problems. So that's what I've been doing to clean out and update everything. I'll load Simple Construction last and see how it works.

Edited by scottadges

As a warning, 1.4.4 broke the loading vessel screen (I mean, where you choose which vessel to build from the VAB or SPH), so backup your saves so that you can roll back to 1.4.3 until Taniwha fixes the dll. Well, you can't load a vessel from SPH o VAB, but you can load one from the Steam WorkShop...

I read this whole thread and I'm still confused.....is there a working version of Simple Construction for KSP v1.4.3. If so can someone provide a link with where I can download it? I am not ready to update my game and mods to v1.4.4 because I use quite a few mods and very few are updated to 1.4.4 so far.....

4 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

I read this whole thread and I'm still confused.....is there a working version of Simple Construction for KSP v1.4.3. If so can someone provide a link with where I can download it? I am not ready to update my game and mods to v1.4.4 because I use quite a few mods and very few are updated to 1.4.4 so far.....

I'm confused  too :confused:,

i like a lot a link at  1.4.3 version , thank

Edited by macgufo

• 3 weeks later...

I am no longer seeing a construction UI for the cupola module any longer (using it as a survey station).

I am using Simple construction 4.0.1

Not so simple construction 1.3.1

Kerbal planetary base system 1.4.4

I tried removing kerbal planetary base system mod to see if that was causing the issue. No effect.

Has anyone else lost the UI function on the stock cupola?

Edited by Dr Farnsworth

20 hours ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

I am no longer seeing a construction UI for the cupola module any longer (using it as a survey station).

I am using Simple construction 4.0.1

Not so simple construction 1.3.1

Kerbal planetary base system 1.4.4

I tried removing kerbal planetary base system mod to see if that was causing the issue. No effect.

Has anyone else lost the UI function on the stock cupola?

Good News!  Not so simple construction just needs to be updated to the new EL. But wait, there's more! It's an orphaned mod ready for someone to take it over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.