Obsolete Mods

Gargamel

Just a walk down memory lane.  What's your favorite obsolete mod?  Either one that is no longer being worked on, one that is no longer necessary, or one that has been superseded by another mod, yet you still miss that one little feature of it.

I'll start with Quantum Struts.   Yes, it's still an active mod, thanks to the mod historical preservation society (MHPS) curator @linuxgurugamer, but I have found that I rarely use it anymore.  I think it's due to a combination of KJR and auto struts, but my ships used to be covered in blue and red lasers, especially around docking ports.  I don't even use them in cargo bays anymore either, as the auto strut works easier and faster.    But they were a cool addition to the game when the term "Floppy Rocket" was used more often than not. 

Floor it! <- Before there was a full throttle key you had to manually hold the throttle up button.  All the way.  Up Hill.  In 3 feet of snow.  With no shoes.  And no..... ahem.... anyway the floor it button made the 'Z' key = full throttle instantly.  One of the first mods I ever got.

HRP (Heat Resistant Parts, already discontinued since 1.0.5), which adds heat resistant version of stock parts, colored in nice "black titanium color scheme" texture, which is amazingly well made, perfect for stealth fighters. The black parts are configured for resisting excessive heat, with a ridiculously high heat tolerance of 100.000.000, perfect for testing maximum speed of a craft when stock parts just burned away by drag heating. Despite already discontinued, it's still mostly usable even in current version of KSP. The only non-usable part is landing gears, which does not function anymore. It's also one of my first manually installed mod

1 hour ago, ARS said:

HRP (Heat Resistant Parts, already discontinued since 1.0.5), which adds heat resistant version of stock parts, colored in nice "black titanium color scheme" texture, which is amazingly well made, perfect for stealth fighters. The black parts are configured for resisting excessive heat, with a ridiculously high heat tolerance of 100.000.000, perfect for testing maximum speed of a craft when stock parts just burned away by drag heating. Despite already discontinued, it's still mostly usable even in current version of KSP. The only non-usable part is landing gears, which does not function anymore. It's also one of my first manually installed mod

Oooh Yeah.... I miss that one too....

Ah, there are so many mods from ages past that I could mention, my most favorite of them all would have to be Hooligan Lab's airships mod! Never has one been so able to make a magnificently gargantuan airship loaded to the brim with all sorts of scientific instruments, not to mention having the ability to *SAFELY* make an eva report without having the kerbal fly off the craft midflight! If you used the Cirrus balloon, you don't need parachutes; heck, if you used that balloon on a lightweight spacecraft, you don't even need boosters to get high into kerbin's atmosphere! (good luck keeping the craft from flying apart though!) :D In all honesty, I deeply miss that mod, I wonder if it'll still work in 1.4? :/

On 4/7/2018 at 8:56 PM, Gargamel said:

Just a walk down memory lane.  What's your favorite obsolete mod?  Either one that is no longer being worked on, one that is no longer necessary, or one that has been superseded by another mod, yet you still miss that one little feature of it.

Nertea's Stockalike Station Parts - his new parts are incredible pieces of work, but no longer quite stockalike.

I also miss KSP Interstellar in its original form....  each subsequent maintainer has added more parts and more complexity, and now it's practically a mini-game in it's own right.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:42 AM, mr. engino said:

Ah, there are so many mods from ages past that I could mention, my most favorite of them all would have to be Hooligan Lab's airships mod! Never has one been so able to make a magnificently gargantuan airship loaded to the brim with all sorts of scientific instruments, not to mention having the ability to *SAFELY* make an eva report without having the kerbal fly off the craft midflight! If you used the Cirrus balloon, you don't need parachutes; heck, if you used that balloon on a lightweight spacecraft, you don't even need boosters to get high into kerbin's atmosphere! (good luck keeping the craft from flying apart though!) :D In all honesty, I deeply miss that mod, I wonder if it'll still work in 1.4?

You might look into Heisenberg...  Not quite as elegantly simply, but still great fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.