[WIP][1.6.0] Integrated Phoenix Industries - Space Tug [v0.03]

Ncrmtxi.png

Welcome to the development thread for the Integrated Phoenix Industries Mod

This mod is about representing the spacecraft of the post-Apollo plan: Integrated Program Plan.

Information about this can be found here: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/integrated-program-plan-maximum-rate-traffic-model-1970/

0VGcGJy.png

MORE IMAGES:

Spoiler

WNJzmX9.png

RSkRki0.png

jxIvV60.png

JMFF326.png

6SkQQDx.png

AuiURPI.png

DOWNLOAD:

F7uLwQo.png8RXXyJt.png  

DONATION:

Like my mods! Want to directly support development? Consider donating via Patron or Paypal!

With Patreon you also get many other benefits like early access to my work and tutorials on modding and game design.

9n9OwA7.pngQhUvLFV.png  

ISSUES:

• RCS works while stowed (coding issue)
  • Tanks are not balanced yet (needs testers)
  • Lack of parts (and sense)
  • Intelligence Module breaks randomly in 1.6.0 for no reason

COMPATIBILITY:

• Bluedog Design Bureau
  • USI Life Support
  • Connected Living Space
  • Snacks!

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

v0.03 - Mini Tug

-Added Navigation Lights (White/Red/Green/Yellow/Blue)
-Added RCS Module
-Added RCS Propellant Tank
-Added Manipulator Module
-Added Antenna Kit
-Added Radiator Kit
-Resized IM's antenna hatch
-Redone part specular maps
-Increased RCS strength
-Added second node to engine mounts
-Balanced mass, fuel amount, and costs.

v0.02 - Small Tug

- Added Medium Propellant Tank.
- Added 2x Engine Mount.
- Added Snacks! compatibility.
- Changed all part stock fuel, mass, and cost amounts to (hopefully) improved values.
- Changed crew module to hold 4 Kerbals.
- Moved 4x Engine mount nodes to be slightly more centred.
- Re-positioned crew module's IVA to be inline with the mesh.

v0.01a - Folder Fix

- Fixed folder name

v0.01 - Initial Release

- Space Tug

- Crew Module

- Intelligence Module

- Large Propellant Tank

- 4x Engine Mount

- Fixed Intelligence Module collider

TWEAKSCALE CONFIG:

On 11/15/2018 at 12:22 AM, Pappystein said:

So I made Tweakscale MM for the Phoenix tug parts.   It does NOT include crewed command part (or a few others.)

Also please note in the settings below I am changing the Symetry for the 4x engine mount to 2x engine placement... means you have to place engines twice to fill all 4 spots.  The settings below ASSUME you have BlueDog_DB installed.  If you don't they won't work right.

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[ipi_spaceTug_2xEngineMount]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Bluedog_DB]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

@PART[ipi_spaceTug_4xEngineMount]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Bluedog_DB]
{
    @stackSymmetry = 1
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

@PART[ipi_spaceTug_intelligenceModule]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Bluedog_DB]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

@PART[ipi_spaceTug_largePropellantTank]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Bluedog_DB]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

@PART[ipi_spaceTug_mediumPropellantTank]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Bluedog_DB]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = BluedogStack
        defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

I am still working on the fuel switching (testing) due to some weird issues I am having with other mods parts.

CURRENT PLAN:

INTEGRATED PROGRAM PLAN PHASE 1

• Space Tug Vehicle
  • Reusable Nuclear Shuttle (NERVA)
  • Space Base
  • Lunar Base

INTEGRATED PROGRAM PLAN PHASE 2

• Orion Nuclear Pulse
  • Discovery
  • Solar Power Station

LICENSE: 

IntegratePhoenixIndustries is License CC-BY-4.0
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Edited by Orbital_phoenix
0.03 Update

This looks absolutely amazing. You have a fine eye for art style and I seriously can't wait to see what you do with this. IF you want some really good concept art to base your project on, look at the art of Bob Mccall. http://www.mccallstudios.com/newer-worlds/

The man did concept art for 2001: A Space Odyssey and a lot of stuff for NASA and you should definitely look into it.

8 minutes ago, Rock3tman_ said:

This looks absolutely amazing. You have a fine eye for art style and I seriously can't wait to see what you do with this. IF you want some really good concept art to base your project on, look at the art of Bob Mccall. http://www.mccallstudios.com/newer-worlds/

The man did concept art for 2001: A Space Odyssey and a lot of stuff for NASA and you should definitely look into it.

Wow, that is an awesome site. I'll definitely make use of this, thank you.

hOLY THIS LOOKS AWESOME!! Definitely going to end up being one of my 'must have mods'.  I've been interested in this architecture for quite a long time and have waited for someone to acknowledge its existence in ksp much less make a stockalike mod out of it. Keep up the amazing work! :D

Edited by Jay The Amazing Toaster

So, I don't know about anyone else, but I have always loved the bottom right of this image:

nuclearshuttlecargotransfer1.jpg

Specifically, the part where the tug (?) lifts up the payload (?) over it's head with both arms. I like to think that it then chucks the payload out into space and that's the delivery system. So, my question is, will that be doable with this mod? :)

More clearly - will the arms be part of this mod? If so what is their implementation going to be like? I know @sirkut has been doing some cool arm plugin stuff lately but I don't know if it actually fits this use case.

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, I don't know about anyone else, but I have always loved the bottom right of this image:

nuclearshuttlecargotransfer1.jpg

Specifically, the part where the tug (?) lifts up the payload (?) over it's head with both arms. I like to think that it then chucks the payload out into space and that's the delivery system. So, my question is, will that be doable with this mod? :)

More clearly - will the arms be part of this mod? If so what is their implementation going to be like? I know @sirkut has been doing some cool arm plugin stuff lately but I don't know if it actually fits this use case.

I really want to include the arms, but have been uncertain about how. I've been thinking about looking into Roverdude's Konstruction to create move-able joints for arms and then have claws on the ends to grapple parts. But I'm pretty much open to any ideas about how to achieve it though.

1 hour ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

I really want to include the arms, but have been uncertain about how. I've been thinking about looking into Roverdude's Konstruction to create move-able joints for arms and then have claws on the ends to grapple parts. But I'm pretty much open to any ideas about how to achieve it though.

I'm working a robotic arm mod that does all that with a much simpler interface. I'm currently working on adding more more additional feature then i'm going to release it. Let me know what you need, you can DM me and I can get you squared away.

Forgot to include my WIP post:

Edited by sirkut

On 8-4-2018 at 2:14 PM, Orbital_phoenix said:
  Hide contents

IAGGisr.png

zd82uDN.png

This control part not only looks superb, it is also the first crewable control module which fits inline. For an unknown reason, no one seems to want to make hem

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

This control part not only looks superb, it is also the first crewable control module which fits inline. For an unknown reason, no one seems to want to make hem

SSPXr had the command "bridges," but yea inline crewed command parts are quite rare.

• 2 weeks later...

Intelligence Module now all sorted, textured and mapped. Just some small things left to do then it's done and time to move onto the propellant tanks and engine plates, then hopefully I'll be able to upload a test version.

uRuhmJ5.png

o1v83pP.png

x5b6d1Y.png

Took quite a lot of time on this one because I spent too long trying to fix issues I had with the animations, but all sorted now.

The work continues .... slowly but surely

M9Vxc55.png

75RyVq0.png

I've tried to create an engine mount for the 4x engine config seen in some space tug pictures. The actual engines that could have been used with it was always vague, earlier studies said they would use the R-10 engines, but latter studies said a completely new cryogenic engine but with very little information about it, so I'll leave the engines up to the player choice, I might work on one in the future though.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:47 AM, FreeThinker said:

DSEV also has the Danube Delta inline command pod..

17 hours ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

The work continues .... slowly but surely

*Pic snip*

I've tried to create an engine mount for the 4x engine config seen in some space tug pictures. The actual engines that could have been used with it was always vague, earlier studies said they would use the R-10 engines, but latter studies said a completely new cryogenic engine but with very little information about it, so I'll leave the engines up to the player choice, I might work on one in the future though.

Are you sure it was 4? Most of the pics ive seen were either 2 engines or 1

2 Engine Config
Image result for integrated program plan space tug
(can't really see the engines in this one but there only seems to be 2 plumes.)

Then there's this, which only appears to show a single engine on the primary propulsion module.

12 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Are you sure it was 4? Most of the pics ive seen were either 2 engines or 1

2 Engine Config
(can't really see the engines in this one but there only seems to be 2 plumes.)

Then there's this, which only appears to show a single engine on the primary propulsion module.

I'm planning to do 1x, 2x, and 4x engine mounts, since all the designs and pictures always vary in some way. I like to think the 2x is for orbital ops, and the 4x for lunar surface ops.

For the 4x engine mount I made, I used one of the Rockwell study diagrams.

spaceTug20.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.