[WIP][1.6.0] Integrated Phoenix Industries - Space Tug [v0.03]

37 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

No issues Tater....   It could very well be that it is based upon cfgs I wrote for SSTU from oh... 1.5 years ago..   It SHOULDN'T be different (other than the change of 2 resource names.) but IDK.  

It looks like it should work to me.

21 hours ago, Pappystein said:

True but I mention it because someone might want to power it by TWR-201s or something else not to design.

For my purposes I was looking for a 2x with a docking port in the middle.... I haven't fired up KSP since Battletech Flashpoint came out so I can't be certain, but I think your 2 engine mount has the engines close coupled with no space for a docking port.

And I am glad to help wherever I can, if you wish you can include the Tweakscale or B9 Fuel conversions right into your mod if you wish.  

I also have a SSTU tank conversion but my tester hasn't gotten back to me on it's functionality!  :D:sticktongue: 

Ah okay, yeah that makes sense, the 2x doesn't have space.for the rear docking port.

Awesome, I'll let you know when I tackle them.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it :D

Phoning Home

5vq5gQv.png

Edited by Orbital_phoenix

• 2 weeks later...

v0.03 IS NOW LIVE!

vPdtxh6.png

DOWNLOAD:

F7uLwQo.png8RXXyJt.png

JMFF326.png

AuiURPI.png

NOTES:

KSP 1.6 breaks the Intelligence Module occasionally in the VAB for some reason. It will still work fine when launched and if you restart. But I think this might be an issue with 1.6 and not the mod.

CHANGELOG:

v0.03 - Mini Tug
-Added Navigation Lights (White/Red/Green/Yellow/Blue)
-Added RCS Module
-Added RCS Propellant Tank
-Added Manipulator Module
-Added Antenna Kit
-Added Radiator Kit
-Resized IM's antenna hatch
-Redone part specular maps
-Increased RCS strength
-Added second node to engine mounts
-Balanced mass, fuel amount, and costs.

I've also launched a Patreon page as well. If you like the mods I make and want to directly support the development then it's the great way to help. I will be posting on there regularly with both my space tug work and also other KSP related work. If you want to donate then I've set up an early access to my work which I haven't announced yet or my other work which isn't KSP related. I'll be doing lots of behind the scenes work and posting about information about the tools and methods I use for 3D modeling and texture design.

9n9OwA7.png

I post plenty of public work there as well and all the development on my Integrated Phoenix Industries mod will continue to be public.

Loving the new parts, but I'm just wondering if there are any plans for a dedicated engine. Right now I am using a heavily modified "Tiny Tim" engine from Cormorant Aeronology Block 2. (It has the stats of an RL-10) I just would enjoy a dedicated engine with the same art style.

One of the best mods i've ever seen! Great textures, great concepts and great parts! Will engines be added? The fuel tanks don't hold that much fuel so maybe efficient engines that have little fuel consumption kinda like the poodle one in stock would make sense to have :0.0:

Edited by winnermah

2 hours ago, Scorpiodude said:

Loving the new parts, but I'm just wondering if there are any plans for a dedicated engine. Right now I am using a heavily modified "Tiny Tim" engine from Cormorant Aeronology Block 2. (It has the stats of an RL-10) I just would enjoy a dedicated engine with the same art style.

1 hour ago, winnermah said:

One of the best mods i've ever seen! Great textures, great concepts and great parts! Will engines be added? The fuel tanks don't hold that much fuel so maybe efficient engines that have little fuel consumption kinda like the poodle one in stock would make sense to have :0.0:

Thanks!!

Engines are planned but require a bit of thought and planning as not much documentation exists that goes into detail about what engines they wanted to use with the tug. I do recommend using the Bluedog Design Bureau mod for engine parts to be used with this mod:

The stock fuels need to be balanced to match the new BDB patch fuel amounts which I'll take a crack at for the next update, however once the mod gets closer to release I'll set up testing and see who wants to help balance the parts.

I'm now back to work, blocking out the next parts

pZcfmvO.png

18 hours ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

Thanks!!

Engines are planned but require a bit of thought and planning as not much documentation exists that goes into detail about what engines they wanted to use with the tug. I do recommend using the Bluedog Design Bureau mod for engine parts to be used with this mod:

The stock fuels need to be balanced to match the new BDB patch fuel amounts which I'll take a crack at for the next update, however once the mod gets closer to release I'll set up testing and see who wants to help balance the parts.

pZcfmvO.png

what happened to the nuclear shuttle engine you were working on a few months back?

Edited by winnermah

18 hours ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

pZcfmvO.png

Thanks for the reply! I assume that part is the lunar surface base? Anyways I hope the next update comes soon. (No pressure)

Edited by Scorpiodude
quote to big

50 minutes ago, winnermah said:

what happened to the nuclear shuttle engine you were working on a few months back?

Still being worked on, just prioritising finishing the space tug before moving on to the nuclear stuff.

10 minutes ago, Scorpiodude said:

Thanks for the reply! I assume that part is the lunar surface base? Anyways I hope the next update comes soon. (No pressure)

No problem!

Yup, the first part of the space tug lunar station, and then I will be working on actual deployable lunar base stuff later  :D

image-of-1970s-moonbase.jpg               x2mKcQA.png

9 minutes ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

Yup, the first part of the space tug lunar station, and then I will be working on actual deployable lunar base stuff later  :D

Oh wow, I had no idea the base parts were going to be deployable. That will be fun!

This is an article I found on the Orbiting Lunar Station it has pictures and some dimensions.

https://falsesteps.wordpress.com/2016/08/13/ols-the-orbiting-lunar-station/

Edited by Scorpiodude

10 hours ago, Scorpiodude said:

Oh wow, I had no idea the base parts were going to be deployable. That will be fun!

This is an article I found on the Orbiting Lunar Station it has pictures and some dimensions.

Awesome thanks!

Some of the new flags that will be bundled with the mod:

dr4sfe0.png

QOyzYcN.png

aDNbfIe.png

1ZXhRpJ.png

23 hours ago, Scorpiodude said:

Thanks for posting that.   Love how the bottom of the station has a J-2T drawn on it but with no obvious fuel source.  Is that a Wet to dry lab similar to the Saturn Venus Flyby?

42 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Thanks for posting that.   Love how the bottom of the station has a J-2T drawn on it but with no obvious fuel source.  Is that a Wet to dry lab similar to the Saturn Venus Flyby?

Had to look that up because I wasn't sure :lol:, but I think it's meant to be one of the neuter docking ports.

"It would have four receptive docking ports around its side, and one “neuter” port on each end, all intended for docking visiting ships or expansion with further modules later"

ols05.jpg

On 1/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, Barzon Kerman said:

With regards to the engine, you could ask @CobaltWolf if you could include one of the engines from his mod like @bcink did for his stockalike Altair lander pack?

I have been thinking about it, I need to do some more research into what engines they actually planned on using or making. If in the end only the RL10 comes up then I will ask nicely :D

For the space tug solar panels, I decided on doing a flexible solar array. According to the Rockwell study, they wanted to pursue three options for the solar power system. Two of them were flexible solar arrays being worked on by Boeing and General Electric, the other was the solar panels from the Apollo Telescope Mount to be used with Skylab.

Current progress:

o4eSbVF.png

c9uOPFs.png

• 2 weeks later...

Now released my first video on my speed modelling series for making models:

I've also wrote some additional information about my work that can be found on my Patreon:

IPI Speed Modelling: Flexible Solar Array - Part One

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ipi-speed-solar-24081302

Mod Pipeline: Programs I use

https://www.patreon.com/posts/mod-pipeline-i-23562925

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.