Good space station designs?

The Minmus Derp

Well, it depends on what you are using it for.

A science station needs science labs and a way to get the science there.  So you'll need the labs, and places for ships to dock easily.

A fueling station doesn't even need to be manned, but easily can be.  It just needs a place to store the Ore, the converter, and tanks to hold the results.  Plenty of docking is a plus.

A transfer station doesn't need much either.   Someplace for the small shuttles to dock to, and docks with enough clearance for the larger motherships to dock. 

Do you use mods?

Are you playing career? 

There's a series of mods that alter contracts, particularly the way bases and stations are managed. You get contracts like crew rotations, add/repair a specific module/component, evacuate crew/ill crew member. Pretty cool for RP.

Other than that, space stations aren't actually all that useful... even as refuelling stations as its often a lot less effort to launch supply tankers directly to craft rather than an equal number of tankers to a station and then dock with that :)

7 minutes ago, MR L A said:

Other than that, space stations aren't actually all that useful... even as refuelling stations as its often a lot less effort to launch supply tankers directly to craft rather than an equal number of tankers to a station and then dock with that :)

Slap a couple LV-Ns on your fuel station, and it can sneak off to refuel itself on Minmus then return to its original orbit and whistle innocently. 

Stick a claw on the other end, and it also makes a great way to get asteroids captured without consuming them.

For an actual stationary station, mods make them quite a bit more useful.  eg:

- KIS/KAS : Spare parts, Scrapyard, Upgrade & Repair center

- TACLS & Such : Supply storage, Greenhouse/Recycling depot

- EL : Orbital Shipyard.

- RT : Heavy comms relay for faster ping time to local probes

I like to build cylinders which point north-south, with docking ports at the ends.  This removes a lot of aggravation from docking.  Just point dead-north or dead-south as appropriate, and the navball will guide you in.

• 2 weeks later...

When I build early stations I try to have Science capabilities as a priority.

Must have enough batteries to be able to run throughout the night, data storage, and some science equipment, a probe core is nice to have when you have other tasks for your kerbals.

Ability for docking is a must.

In the PS4 console version I'm able to put clamp-o-trons  on the sides of some modules like the hitch-hiker can.

Lights are a great addition in case you wind up trying to dock in the dark.

I also leave the last fuel stage and engine attached, this way you can store excess fuel from docked  craft.

Fit plenty of docking ports, and then fit a few more.  I usually end up with several ships, or parts of ships docked at stations, and modular ship designs means you need to be able to park sections somewhere while you manoeuvre your tug to a different grip on it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 2:52 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

I am wondering what to add to my space station, which has room for 20 :) and a science lab. there is currently 4 solar panels on the core module. You can post your designs too.

For a ISS (International Space Station) style i would recomend something like this (it's my design)

It has comm's,labs,a lot of solar panels and heat dispersers!

Z8hfKDS.jpg

You could go for form over function, and make something with an unusual design, such as my station KOSTAR.

Assembled in Mun orbit, because why not.

GJgwXKa.jpg

kSdbzqz.jpg

It came equiped with 4 mini landers, capable (just about) of making it to the Mun surface and back to dock with the station.

TAOW55F.jpg

The 4 arms of the station could also detach and return everyone to kerbin, landing (almost) in one piece.

2EyN9Ld.png?2

There was a recent plea for help to avoid a Kraken attack on a spacestation.  Some suggestions:

Reaction wheels should be in the center.  I theory it doesn't matter, but the numerical means KSP uses for physics calculations mean that the effects start at the reaction wheel and propagate out.  Moving things toward the center helps reduce resonant effects.

RCS have similar issues: don't have them fight each other nor push hard on unstrutted parts.

Beyond that, go wild.

My suggestions for building space stations.

1) Use Senior Docking ports to join station modules, much less bendy

2) Make your modules of a standard mass ( I prefer 8000 kg), this way you can flat pack a station onto a interplanetary booster without too much work of load balancing (or overpopulation of reaction wheels), send a station anywhere, and build it there.

3) Have a probe core near the center of mass of a station, give it the stations reaction wheels, and control station from there.  Cuts down on the kraken attacks.

4) if you use mods, Nertea's Near future construction has nice square cross section struts and docking ports that eliminate alignment issues (once you get them docked together).  It's surprising how noticeable a 1 degree misalignment is when the component has solar cells sticking off of them.    The square cross section trusses also have tanks that can be inserted inside that help with part count if you are building big.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a number of stations over the years, and their configurations have varied greatly as my mods of choice have changed...

PtXJWTj.png

Early space station.

n4c4B1z.png

Crew depot.

HyTlhBF.png

Science station.

aLq415F.png

Skylab. BDB, Probes Plus!, and DMOS, Version 1.3.1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, wumpus said:

There was a recent plea for help to avoid a Kraken attack on a spacestation.  Some suggestions:

Reaction wheels should be in the center.  I theory it doesn't matter, but the numerical means KSP uses for physics calculations mean that the effects start at the reaction wheel and propagate out.  Moving things toward the center helps reduce resonant effects.

RCS have similar issues: don't have them fight each other nor push hard on unstrutted parts.

Beyond that, go wild.

The other "Kraken Avoidance" I was given was to use autostrutting correctly, preferably to
"Grandparent" and not rely on "hard" struts...saves on graphics load and part counts that way, also.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.