[1.3.1][1.4.4][v0.5.6b] History of Spaceflight - Contract Pack for Stock/RSS/RP-0/RP-1

Frylovespi

5 hours ago, FrancoisH said:

Hello, I got into an issue with your contracts. None have their organization image displayed, i've just a white rectangle with every of them. Wasn't the case in  the 0.5.3 version. If I can do something to help you... I didn't see any error message in the log.

I've been playing around for about 30 mins here and the only way I can reproduce that bug is if the pack is installed incorrectly. Quadruple check that the HistoryofSpaceflight folder is in the GameData/ContractPacks folder. If its anywhere else the contracts will still load but the icons will not. I made no changes to the icons or the config file that controls it since the release and I really can't reproduce it any other way. Check your folders. I have accidentally had two installs of mods before but inside of another mods folder. That one took 4 hours to figure out. If that doesn't help then you will have to send me your logs so I can double check them.

i get an error message from module manager with kerbalism installed. Exception Contracts Configurator.cfg (the one from compatibility inside the kerbalism folder). I think the extra Missions that Kerbalism provides crash somehow with history of spaceflight. My knowledge of Module Manager syntax is pretty limited so I cant fix it myself. 

No other Contract Pack installed gets me an error with ksp...so may bee its only an minor problem.

Edited by SchitzoSchaf

16 minutes ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

i get an error message from module manager with kerbalism installed. Exception Contracts Configurator.cfg (the one from compatibility inside the kerbalism folder). I think the extra Missions that Kerbalism provides crash somehow with history of spaceflight. My knowledge of Module Manager syntax is pretty limited so I cant fix it myself. 

No other Contract Pack installed gets me an error with ksp...so may bee its only an minor problem.

That's a problem between Kerbalism and Contract Configurator caused by a MM-Patch to make contracts work in Kerbalism. My understanding is Kerbalism doesn't play well with any contract pack that uses the contractType variable right now and will have to be fixed by someone else. Last I read a few days ago was that someone was looking into it. Until then do not use this contract pack with Kerbalism installed or you will get errors. Sorry that doesn't really fix your problem for now and hopefully they get that sorted soon.

Edited by Frylovespi

3 hours ago, Frylovespi said:

I've been playing around for about 30 mins here and the only way I can reproduce that bug is if the pack is installed incorrectly. Quadruple check that the HistoryofSpaceflight folder is in the GameData/ContractPacks folder. If its anywhere else the contracts will still load but the icons will not. I made no changes to the icons or the config file that controls it since the release and I really can't reproduce it any other way. Check your folders. I have accidentally had two installs of mods before but inside of another mods folder. That one took 4 hours to figure out. If that doesn't help then you will have to send me your logs so I can double check them.

Hi, I just triple checked and I can't find what's wrong. I just updated your contract pack with every update you published, removing the directory and installing the next version. Maybe should I reinstall contract manager as well?

Kind regards.

59 minutes ago, FrancoisH said:

Hi, I just triple checked and I can't find what's wrong. I just updated your contract pack with every update you published, removing the directory and installing the next version. Maybe should I reinstall contract manager as well?

Kind regards.

@FrancoisH I'll need a copy of your KSP.log file from your KSP main install folder to see where its trying to load the icons from. Re-installing contract configurator probably won't help here. Alternately you can look in your log and see if yours looks like this.

[LOG 12:44:23.610] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_female
[LOG 12:44:23.612] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_male
[LOG 12:44:23.613] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_female
[LOG 12:44:23.615] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_male
[LOG 12:44:23.617] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/MissionControl
[LOG 12:44:23.619] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/TrackingStation

[LOG 12:44:23.666] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo
[LOG 12:44:23.670] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo_Scaled

Edited by Frylovespi
KSP not kPS sorry!

27 minutes ago, Frylovespi said:

I'll need a copy of your KSP.log file from your KSP main install folder to see where its trying to load the icons from. Re-installing contract configurator probably won't help here. Alternately you can look in your log and see if yours looks like this.

[LOG 12:44:23.610] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_female
[LOG 12:44:23.612] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_male
[LOG 12:44:23.613] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_female
[LOG 12:44:23.615] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_male
[LOG 12:44:23.617] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/MissionControl
[LOG 12:44:23.619] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/TrackingStation

[LOG 12:44:23.666] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo
[LOG 12:44:23.670] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo_Scaled

will provide this in 5 miutes have to reinstall your contracts pack first

9 minutes ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

will provide this in 5 miutes have to reinstall your contracts pack first

Not you sorry was referring to the other poster for the log. I can't help your problem with Kerbalism. This is to fix icons not showing up. Read my reply a few post up explaining your issue.

Edited by Frylovespi

57 minutes ago, Frylovespi said:

That's a problem between Kerbalism and Contract Configurator caused by a MM-Patch to make contracts work in Kerbalism. My understanding is Kerbalism doesn't play well with any contract pack that uses the contractType variable right now and will have to be fixed by someone else. Last I read a few days ago was that someone was looking into it. Until then do not use this contract pack with Kerbalism installed or you will get errors. Sorry that doesn't really fix your problem for now and hopefully they get that sorted soon.

ok thx for the quick answer. 

hm not that much a problem if the kerbalism contracts do not work, as long as i do not kill my save with it.

1 minute ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

ok thx for the quick answer. 

hm not that much a problem if the kerbalism contracts do not work, as long as i do not kill my save with it.

No Problem! I can't give any  guarantees on the safety of your save file or if my contracts will all work properly with that bug. As a general rule you should use caution with mods and backup your save files often.

1 minute ago, flart said:

I like Contract Pack: Historical Progression more than Contract Pack: Historic Missions.

Do you have plan for resurrecting Historical Progression? (aka History of Spaceflight - Lite)

No sorry, 3 versions of this one will be enough for me(Stock/RP-0/RP-1). Too much work to do on this one. Still have around 5000 contracts to add! More if I add cubesats. This is only 10% or so complete. Ironing out balance and bugs before adding any more into the mix.

Below as spoiler is the log I have.

It seems to load it without trouble... But I still have blank icon as image... Don't understand why as I can't find any error in the log...

Spoiler

[LOG 10:45:21.262] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_ac_female
[LOG 10:45:21.264] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_ac_male
[LOG 10:45:21.265] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_kerbin_female
[LOG 10:45:21.267] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_kerbin_male
[LOG 10:45:21.268] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_female
[LOG 10:45:21.270] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_male
[LOG 10:45:21.271] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_female
[LOG 10:45:21.273] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_male
[LOG 10:45:21.274] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/MissionControl
[LOG 10:45:21.276] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/TrackingStation
[LOG 10:45:21.278] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo
[LOG 10:45:21.282] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.284] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASRILogo
[LOG 10:45:21.287] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASRILogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.289] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CalendarLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.294] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CalendarLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.296] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNESLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.300] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNESLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.302] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNSALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.306] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNSALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.308] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CSALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.312] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CSALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.315] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/Germany
[LOG 10:45:21.318] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/Germany_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.320] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/JAXALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.324] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/JAXALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.326] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/NASAOLDLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.329] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/NASAOLDLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.331] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/UKSALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.336] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/UKSALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.338] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USADODLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.343] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USADODLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.346] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USAFLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.349] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USAFLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.351] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USARMYLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.355] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USARMYLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.357] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USNavyLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.361] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USNavyLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.363] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/VoskhodLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.368] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/VoskhodLogo_Scaled

Edited by FrancoisH

47 minutes ago, FrancoisH said:

Below as spoiler is the log I have.

It seeps to load it without trouble... I still have blank icon as image... Don't understand why as I can't find any error in the log...

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 10:45:21.262] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_ac_female
[LOG 10:45:21.264] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_ac_male
[LOG 10:45:21.265] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_kerbin_female
[LOG 10:45:21.267] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_kerbin_male
[LOG 10:45:21.268] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_female
[LOG 10:45:21.270] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/eva_space_male
[LOG 10:45:21.271] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_female
[LOG 10:45:21.273] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/iva_male
[LOG 10:45:21.274] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/MissionControl
[LOG 10:45:21.276] Load(Texture): ContractConfigurator/ui/TrackingStation
[LOG 10:45:21.278] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo
[LOG 10:45:21.282] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASILogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.284] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASRILogo
[LOG 10:45:21.287] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/ASRILogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.289] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CalendarLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.294] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CalendarLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.296] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNESLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.300] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNESLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.302] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNSALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.306] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CNSALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.308] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CSALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.312] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/CSALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.315] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/Germany
[LOG 10:45:21.318] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/Germany_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.320] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/JAXALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.324] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/JAXALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.326] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/NASAOLDLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.329] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/NASAOLDLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.331] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/UKSALogo
[LOG 10:45:21.336] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/UKSALogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.338] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USADODLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.343] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USADODLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.346] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USAFLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.349] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USAFLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.351] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USARMYLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.355] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USARMYLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.357] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USNavyLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.361] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/USNavyLogo_Scaled
[LOG 10:45:21.363] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/VoskhodLogo
[LOG 10:45:21.368] Load(Texture): ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight/Logo/VoskhodLogo_Scaled

@FrancoisH

According to your log you have 2 copies of ContractPacks in your filepath. It is installed incorrectly. you have it in:

GameData/ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight

instead of

GameData/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight

Moving it into the correct folder will fix your problem. Easy mistake to make. Almost didn't notice it. Was about to post that everything looks fine.

Edited by Frylovespi

10 hours ago, Frylovespi said:

@FrancoisH

According to your log you have 2 copies of ContractPacks in your filepath. It is installed incorrectly. you have it in:

GameData/ContractPacks/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight

instead of

GameData/ContractPacks/HistoryofSpaceflight

Moving it into the correct folder will fix your problem. Easy mistake to make. Almost didn't notice it. Was about to post that everything looks fine.

In fact I didn't have it any longer in the ContractPacks directory... only in the ContractPacks\ContractPacks ... And I were probably blind because I checked twice and didn't see the double Directory issue... I shouldn't read logs and check this after 7 hours of PHP/JS coding.

I realy like the style of that pack. But may be you should think about making it less repetitive in the beginning (only tested stock so far)  after the 10th sub orbital flight with the same rocket it gets a bit boring. The later missions are great!

Maybee pack them a bit together? Like one mission for russians A-x to A-y and then another one for the ballistic tests and the same for the other nations, make description like: from date x to date y soviet russians tested the missiles on sub orbital flight reaching alt... to alt.... and had a range of ....  . The Descriptions are great but there is no real progress in the game, only if you over engineer that launches for collecting science in different  biomes. but that makes other mission packs like the one to collect every bit of science a bit useless in the beginning because there is no real synergie then.

That way you don´t loose much of the great historical data that I really like. Great work.

Another possible solution: make one of the later Missions (like the first after sputnik 1) have no previous mission only has reached orbit=met and all previous become unavailable at this time like has not reached orbit = unmet (idk if thats already possible because of the huge amount of missions I have not seen them all)

That should be only a copy and paste work that is not that time intense and let you jump over that 20 or more suborbital again and again missions. Later Missions are also repetitive in parts but they always have some progression in game terms like get more science on the way, Bring satellites up that other contracts want you to do anyway or u can use as relay sats, train your crews, do rescue missions on the way dock things you want to dock anyway...

I can overcome that grind with 7 lines of kos script too, if i like, but not everyone can do this.

bootfile.ks

lock throttle to 1.

lock steering to up .

wait 5.

stage.

wait until alt: radar > 70000.

wait until alt:radar< 15000.

stage. 

Design the rocket that its apoapsis gets to around 73 km, pack it with parachutes and do something else in that time, come back when landed get next contract repeat.

Edit: solution for everyone made with kos(a better one), with detailed description in the readme file and 2 craft files if someone wants to use it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yk8JmE2Gy0NznUMwIAhyn2JjYSUyP3NT/view?usp=sharing

brings you to 70+k with time warp

brings you back with time warp

plays a sound.

Edited by SchitzoSchaf
possible solution

13 hours ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

I realy like the style of that pack. But may be you should think about making it less repetitive in the beginning (only tested stock so far)  after the 10th sub orbital flight with the same rocket it gets a bit boring. The later missions are great!

Maybee pack them a bit together? Like one mission for russians A-x to A-y and then another one for the ballistic tests and the same for the other nations, make description like: from date x to date y soviet russians tested the missiles on sub orbital flight reaching alt... to alt.... and had a range of ....  . The Descriptions are great but there is no real progress in the game, only if you over engineer that launches for collecting science in different  biomes. but that makes other mission packs like the one to collect every bit of science a bit useless in the beginning because there is no real synergie then.

That way you don´t loose much of the great historical data that I really like. Great work.

Another possible solution: make one of the later Missions (like the first after sputnik 1) have no previous mission only has reached orbit=met and all previous become unavailable at this time like has not reached orbit = unmet (idk if thats already possible because of the huge amount of missions I have not seen them all)

That should be only a copy and paste work that is not that time intense and let you jump over that 20 or more suborbital again and again missions. Later Missions are also repetitive in parts but they always have some progression in game terms like get more science on the way, Bring satellites up that other contracts want you to do anyway or u can use as relay sats, train your crews, do rescue missions on the way dock things you want to dock anyway...

I can overcome that grind with 7 lines of kos script too, if i like, but not everyone can do this.

bootfile.ks

lock throttle to 1.

lock steering to up .

wait 5.

stage.

wait until alt: radar > 70000.

wait until alt:radar< 15000.

stage. 

Design the rocket that its apoapsis gets to around 73 km, pack it with parachutes and do something else in that time, come back when landed get next contract repeat.

Edit: solution for everyone made with kos(a better one), with detailed description in the readme file and 2 craft files if someone wants to use it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yk8JmE2Gy0NznUMwIAhyn2JjYSUyP3NT/view?usp=sharing

brings you to 70+k with time warp

brings you back with time warp

plays a sound.

History is well sometimes a bit boring. Try sitting through a Sedimentology lecture, or 50. Oh man, talk about boring. Sand, sand, and more sand. I recognize that this pack won't always be the most exciting thing in the world at times as it's strictly following history. And honestly those beginning sounding rocket contracts really do play better in RP-0. There was a whole progression to them there. I removed a whole bunch for the stock version and just kept ballistic missile progression because who wants 50 sounding rocket missions in stock? In RP-0 now you have to add payloads to your sounding rockets and reach certain altitudes. That doesn't exist in stock. Early RP-0 play can rely heavily on the extra biome science and fund grind. The whole pack play differently with RSS/RP-0 and especially with Kerbal Construction Time as well. Then it becomes a race against the clock to see if you can launch your rockets at the same pace as history. You will find you have to end up rushing builds and then that cuts into your profits.

But I am definitely considering just dropping most of the early ballistic and go quickly to the orbitals. Maybe just leave 2 Germany launches, 1 SRBM, 1 MRBM, and 1 ICBM  each for USA and Soviets. My original intent was to leave them out except for around 5 or so but someone requested that they stay in. He was fine with all 50 but I trimmed it to 18. Still too much I think. I skipped through them on my stock playthrough that I started. So I definitely know what you are saying. If I do chop them it will be in the next release in a day or two. They really just don't play well in stock. Thanks for the feedback. It definitely confirmed my suspicions about those missions on my first time through. I don't really play much stock these days anymore. This mod was intended to be for RSS/RP-0 only but someone asked for stock so I ported it over a few days. I am sure the stock version will need a lot of tweaking and balancing so any suggestions are appreciated and will be considered as long as they aren't history breaking. And i do usually work on both stock and RP-0 versions pretty much daily.

edit: trimmed down version avail by downloading my main GitHub page

Edited by Frylovespi

I launched until 40th or so satellite contract now and my kerbin orbit looks like spaghetti. let the player fail 1 of every series like crash one vanguard because half of them where failures then pick what is special about the specific series like that are weather satellites so they must perform an pressure scan or temperature. The other one was the first polar orbit in history, so pick that one out. In stock it makes no sense at all to spam your orbit with like 40 satellites. most of them did not stay up there for long. An good option would be to force the player to deorbit the sputnik and that other stuff, except that longer lasting few. the way that you have like 3-5 satellites in really high elliptical polar orbits and another 5 in circular mildly inclined orbits.

I would pick only what is special about the series.

You could still let them ALL in but give the player an option to skip whole series. After I launched the first unsuccessful Vanguard I do not need to kill another 10. and successful sputnik thing I do not have to launch another 2. Only change the presets that I can go on to the less boring stuff. Like Moon, first manned. Just offer options to jump over that boring stuff.

Make it like 

Sputnik 1 -> sputnik 2 ---the whole other stuff like it is now

but also: go on with laika (may bee bring a goo up with an  probe core, burn them up in the atmosphere or crash them after you send the science back)

Than the player can jump from highlight to highlight but has the option to take the grind or do that stuff later if he is interested in all that background info or needs to bring up more satellites.

And you need more victory conditions. What fuel is allowed? But Idk what is possible with that contract configurator.

I am now in automating my satellite launches too :P

All day long launching the same 4 things. 

An over engineered satellite, a single probe core, an rocket that goes straight up, 1 version with and one without parachutes for hours to come  :D 

at least I write some scripts again and make progress on the way.

Edit: that destroy a probe at the launch made me creative.... put at stayputnik on an launch clamp moved it all the way up in the VAB and then dropped it :-D

Edit2: I want to look into it tomorrow. i want to make it that way that all parts are independent as at first so you still have to play lets say vanguard 1 to go to vanguard 2. but you also can take the lunar missions and send out probes to the mun. maybe i change the roskosmos mun missions  that they refer to minmus and let one set of mars missions go to dres ( 1 moon and 1 inner planet too much in stock) if you don´t mind that I alter them for myself. Then they start to become useful in stock as you can combine them with other missions, pick something that is similar and put them together or do some 'boring' automated launches when I do other stuff.

Edited by SchitzoSchaf

5 hours ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

I launched until 40th or so satellite contract now and my kerbin orbit looks like spaghetti. let the player fail 1 of every series like crash one vanguard because half of them where failures then pick what is special about the specific series like that are weather satellites so they must perform an pressure scan or temperature. The other one was the first polar orbit in history, so pick that one out. In stock it makes no sense at all to spam your orbit with like 40 satellites. most of them did not stay up there for long. An good option would be to force the player to deorbit the sputnik and that other stuff, except that longer lasting few. the way that you have like 3-5 satellites in really high elliptical polar orbits and another 5 in circular mildly inclined orbits.

I would pick only what is special about the series.

You could still let them ALL in but give the player an option to skip whole series. After I launched the first unsuccessful Vanguard I do not need to kill another 10. and successful sputnik thing I do not have to launch another 2. Only change the presets that I can go on to the less boring stuff. Like Moon, first manned. Just offer options to jump over that boring stuff.

Make it like 

Sputnik 1 -> sputnik 2 ---the whole other stuff like it is now

but also: go on with laika (may bee bring a goo up with an  probe core, burn them up in the atmosphere or crash them after you send the science back)

Than the player can jump from highlight to highlight but has the option to take the grind or do that stuff later if he is interested in all that background info or needs to bring up more satellites.

And you need more victory conditions. What fuel is allowed? But Idk what is possible with that contract configurator.

I am now in automating my satellite launches too :P

All day long launching the same 4 things. 

An over engineered satellite, a single probe core, an rocket that goes straight up, 1 version with and one without parachutes for hours to come  :D 

at least I write some scripts again and make progress on the way.

Edit that destroy a probe at the launch made me creative.... put at stayputnik on an launch clamp moved it all the way up in the VAB and then dropped it :-D

I am using the mod Orbital Decay to handle that little problem with too many satellites or debris in orbit. I can't entirely recommend it at this time as its not officially updated or working perfectly right now, but it still does wonders for clearing your orbits of satellites. I have a  mostly working version running in my 1.3.1 install and there is a way to run it in 1.4.2 as well if you read its forum thread. And yup this will be a long boring pack. I really expected only 20 people at most to download this mod since its focus is so heavily on history. This isn't a revival of Historical Contracts or Historical Progression. It's really for true history re-enactments and for learning and interacting with the entire history of spaceflight.  If time and the license allows, one day I may revive the Historical Progression contract pack but its not my priority, although that pack seems more like what you are looking for and a better fit for the vast majority of stock players. I would much rather focus my attention to RP-0/RP-1 than work on another project.

Things like adding part requirements for satellites will be added before V1.0. I have a few contracts that require solar panels but that was just as a test of contract configurator code.  I might end up trimming some launch failures but I dunno. I doubt it. This isn't History of Spaceflight light and in the end may just end up trashing the stock version as it may never fit right. Stock is a totally different game than RSS/RP-0. In RP-0 I use historical rockets for each flight from the multitude of parts packs made for launching historical rockets to their historical orbits. I enjoy pushing the rockets to their limits in game the same way as was done in real life. And when engines don't exist in any of the packs I just build my own configs with the proper thrusts and fuels.. etc. I build historical satellites that look, weigh, and usually function the same(if science parts allow). That is why a lot of the contracts have rocket dimensions and all have satellite masses. The ones with dimensions don't exist in any pack and are for the player to recreate in RP-0. So this pack is geared towards the minority I assume of players who like the pure historical aspect of it like I do(or maybe I'm alone here).

I also just realized that in stock there is no Range Safety buttons on your probe cores so those destroy probes during flight or just after launch may be difficult. Especially with stock aerodynamics. Can't just do a sharp pitch over and make your rocket disintegrate in the thick atmosphere without FAR installed. Will have to look into that. I like your solution though too with the stayputnik. Very nice. Technically you didn't have to destroy at the launch pad. If you crashed at any point it would have triggered the contract complete. Also the license allows re-mixing as long as you retain the same license in your pack. I am looking for someone to take over the stock side to be perfectly honest as I don't really play stock or really want to play stock and this kind of pack as is really isn't a stock pack and is best played on RP-0 with a heavy mod load. But I have some thinking on how I want the stock side of this mod to proceed. Feedback from others who are playing the stock version would be appreciated too. I don't want to destroy something that someone may be enjoying. It took next to no time to convert it to stock so its no real loss to me.

Edited by Frylovespi

Ok, i figured out the problem, after digging through the logs i found that a few names of agents were the same names as the other historical packs, after deleting those packs, the contract pack came up!

13 hours ago, betony1 said:

Ok, i figured out the problem, after digging through the logs i found that a few names of agents were the same names as the other historical packs, after deleting those packs, the contract pack came up!

Great. I was away for the weekend and just came back. Glad you got that sorted and thanks for the info on compatibility with other historic packs. I was about to try out historical progression to see what it would take to resurrect it. I'll make sure to remove my mod first then. Thanks and sorry about the late reply.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.