Two Quick Questions...

1.) I have been watching some YouTube videos on SSTO flights. Some of the people show turning on fine controls in atmosphere for a more controlled flight without big/sudden changes. It is denoted by the pitch/roll/yaw indicators turning from and orange-ish color to a blue-ish one. Playing on an XBONE, I can't find any way to do this. Does anybody know if it is possible, and if it is, how is it done?

2.) This is a bit more tricky. Just screwing around with some  plane designs, I was trying to make a heavy lift SSTO with the MK3 command pod. Once I took it to the runway,  the controls IMMEDIATELY went hard right on the yaw. The engines were off, the SAS was off, I wasn't touching any stick surface. It just went full right yaw automatically. I tried numerous different designs and it was always the same thing with the MK3 components. Does anybody know why this happens, and/or how to account for this?

1) I haven't tested precision mode recently. But my notes say that in Radial preset, hold down the right bumper to temporarily enter precision mode. In Cursor preset, toggle precision mode by holding the right or left bumper and clicking the left stick.

(Edit: just tried it -- worked in Cursor mode, but not in Radial mode.)

2) I just tried testing this. Nothing happened. I put a MK3 cockpit, a fuel tank, a cargo bay, and a passenger cabin as a vessel on the runway. It just sat there and the input controls did nothing. So maybe something is messed up with your controller?

Edited by bewing

Your advice helped greatly. Knowing that it wasn't a bug made me rethink what I was doing. After 4 or so hours of redesigning the craft from the ground up, I decided to add 2 more rear landing gear closer to the longitudinal mid-line and that ended up solving the problem entirely. I guess that the two landing gear assemblies placed farther out on the wings were allowing some torque across the body and introducing the yaw I was experiencing.

I'm not really married to any specific part combinations, and had used so many different combinations it seemed pointless to say exactly what I had used. Because it started as a heavy lift SSTO, and along the way was changed piece by piece until it was an aircraft with most engines attached at one time or another. Right now, I am working on building an SSTO "bus" with enough dV to get out of the Kerbin system for training purposes.

But, seriously, thanks. Just knowing that my problems were on my end, and not a fault within the software energized me to go back to the drawing board.

I don’t think the xbone even needs fine controls, it’s more for keyboard players so that the longer you hold a key, the more deflection. On a controller you can easily control the doflections based on how far you move the joystick.

your yaw problem sounds like it’s in the landing gear. Make sure they are perpendicular to the body.

22 hours ago, Not Sure said:

your yaw problem sounds like it’s in the landing gear. Make sure they are perpendicular to the body.

The landing gear was the problem. They were perpendicular, but I didn't have extra gear near the midline. On a ship nearing 115 tons that wasn't a very smart design.

On 10.4.2018 at 6:44 AM, bewing said:

1) I haven't tested precision mode recently. But my notes say that in Radial preset, hold down the right bumper to temporarily enter precision mode. In Cursor preset, toggle precision mode by holding the right or left bumper and clicking the left stick.

(Edit: just tried it -- worked in Cursor mode, but not in Radial mode.)

Have u just toggled percisionmode on or Really tested it? Because if i activate percisionmode on ps4 it just locks the controlls, the indicators will turn Blue but there is No controllinput at all.

Just tested it again. It works correctly for steering the wheels. But you are right that the aero surfaces don't move and there is no visible control input when precision mode is activated. I'll file a bug report.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Not Sure said:

I don’t think the xbone even needs fine controls, it’s more for keyboard players so that the longer you hold a key, the more deflection. On a controller you can easily control the doflections based on how far you move the joystick.

Welllll.... Depending on how twitchy your aircraft is (particularly if you're not a very good spaceplane designer, <cough ahem>) then even with the game pad you'll need some fine control.  Nothing like trying to pitch up a degree or two when you're cruising at 1,400 m/s and having your plane do a backflip...  So yeah, fine control is beneficial for everyone.

18 hours ago, XtraChrisP said:

Welllll.... Depending on how twitchy your aircraft is (particularly if you're not a very good spaceplane designer, <cough ahem>) then even with the game pad you'll need some fine control.  Nothing like trying to pitch up a degree or two when you're cruising at 1,400 m/s and having your plane do a backflip...  So yeah, fine control is beneficial for everyone.

I’m trying to think about how that would work with a joystick. The longer you hold it the farther it deflects? What if you only pull it about 20%? Does it go farther than 20% or just take longer to get there? 

If you’re doing backflips from that, I think that’s a bigger problem regarding your plane, not the controller.

2 hours ago, Not Sure said:

I’m trying to think about how that would work with a joystick. The longer you hold it the farther it deflects? What if you only pull it about 20%? Does it go farther than 20% or just take longer to get there? 

If you’re doing backflips from that, I think that’s a bigger problem regarding your plane, not the controller.

With my gamepad (I imagine this is how it would work with a flight stick. I should probably check that out since I have one sitting on my desk...) it's one for one; I move my thumbstick and I get the appropriate amount of deflection with the aircraft controls.  With (CapsLock) fine controls I get a limited range of control authority;  I can move my thumbstick to the stops, but the actual controls themselves will only move a fraction of their full range of authority. 

You're correct though, my aircraft could stand to be more stable.  She just doesn't like a lot of alpha when she's hypersonic...

3 minutes ago, XtraChrisP said:

With my gamepad (I imagine this is how it would work with a flight stick. I should probably check that out since I have one sitting on my desk...) it's one for one; I move my thumbstick and I get the appropriate amount of deflection with the aircraft controls.  With (CapsLock) fine controls I get a limited range of control authority;  I can move my thumbstick to the stops, but the actual controls themselves will only move a fraction of their full range of authority. 

You're correct though, my aircraft could stand to be more stable.  She just doesn't like a lot of alpha when she's hypersonic...

That was my other thought, a limiter, but I dismissed it as the PC precise controls will still allow for full deflection, it's just not immediate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.