Re: PorkJet's old Parts Overhaul

StevieC

8 hours ago, StevieC said:

Would it be possible to make a version that uses KSP 1.4's new part variant switcher to switch betwixt the boattail and bare versions of the Parts Overhaul engines?

In theory yes but in praksis is little more complicated.Mainly because of lack of documentation on part variants,i hope we would get "modders notes" soon.
It was my 1st idea after release of 1.4 and i'm struggling since with no success.

I've got the mk1pod and fuel tanks working fine, but as yet have been unable to make ModuleJettison work. It appears that it will only ever hide a single mesh with the given name. Since the fairing in both stock and porkjet's are named "fairing" it only hides the stock one and porkjet's is always visible. I am trying to find a workaround.

5 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

I've got the mk1pod and fuel tanks working fine, but as yet have been unable to make ModuleJettison work. It appears that it will only ever hide a single mesh with the given name. Since the fairing in both stock and porkjet's are named "fairing" it only hides the stock one and porkjet's is always visible. I am trying to find a workaround.

I assume you are talking about the Fairing.dds texture file. In the mod Janitors Closet, it renames the files when you perma prune them. I am wondering if you could use the same idea. Rename PorkJets Fairing.dds file to FairingPJ.dds, or just ask people to manually rename the file when installing the mod. You could probably do the rest with MM patching PorkJet. Just throwing out ideas.

2 hours ago, Barar said:

I assume you are talking about the Fairing.dds texture file. In the mod Janitors Closet, it renames the files when you perma prune them. I am wondering if you could use the same idea. Rename PorkJets Fairing.dds file to FairingPJ.dds, or just ask people to manually rename the file when installing the mod. You could probably do the rest with MM patching PorkJet. Just throwing out ideas.

He is talking about model not the texture.

12 hours ago, rspeed said:

Just happened to start looking into this today, and made some progress. Thus far, I got the LV-303 "Pug" up and running. I think I have the process nailed down now, and I think I can get through the rest of the engines by tomorrow. Some screenshots.

Since I only see the porkjet models, did you run into the same issue as myself when trying to allow multiple engine models? Such that having stock, porkjet, and prokjet_boattail all together made the fairings unable to hide?

12 hours ago, rspeed said:

Just happened to start looking into this today, and made some progress. Thus far, I got the LV-303 "Pug" up and running. I think I have the process nailed down now, and I think I can get through the rest of the engines by tomorrow. Some screenshots.

Cool!! Great work :)

2 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Since I only see the porkjet models, did you run into the same issue as myself when trying to allow multiple engine models? Such that having stock, porkjet, and prokjet_boattail all together made the fairings unable to hide?

Nope. I've been using Blender to combine all of the meshes into a single model, so there's no GameObject duplication.

2 hours ago, rspeed said:

Nope. I've been using Blender to combine all of the meshes into a single model, so there's no GameObject duplication.

Yes,these explains a lot,because switching between models it's not possible.

Edited by sebi.zzr

I noticed is that @Porkjet optimized the boattail engines a bit by removing their inside guts. But that's not really necessary any if they're sharing the same model, so I went ahead and split things up a bit (which actually reduces the polygon count). Now you can peek up into the boattails!

i1ruPqw.jpg

16 hours ago, rspeed said:

I noticed is that @Porkjet optimized the boattail engines a bit by removing their inside guts. But that's not really necessary any if they're sharing the same model, so I went ahead and split things up a bit (which actually reduces the polygon count). Now you can peek up into the boattails!

When you release this pack, would you mind including a TU patch along with it?

It would be something along the lines of:

Spoiler

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	%enabled = true
}
KSP_MODEL_SHADER:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&PartOverhauls] {
	model = PartOverhauls/Parts/Engine/lv-303
	model = PartOverhauls/Parts/Engine/lv-909
	model = PartOverhauls/Parts/Engine/lv-t15
	model = PartOverhauls/Parts/Engine/lv-t30
	model = PartOverhauls/Parts/Engine/lv-t45

MATERIAL {
		excludeMesh = porkjet_boattail

shader = SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
	}
	MATERIAL {
		mesh = porkjet_boattail

shader = SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
	}
}

Edited by Electrocutor

7 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

When you release this pack, would you mind including a TU patch along with it?

Sure. PorkJet actually did quite a bit to lay groundwork for that by including a set of textures for PBR shaders.

Good news, everybody! Here's a test release!

Licensed CC-BY-NC-3.0. The work is originally by Porkjet / SQUAD with additional changes by me (Rob Speed).

Edit: Ugh, hang on. Github is doing something stupid with it because I'm using Large File Storage.

Edit 2: All fixed!

Edited by rspeed
License info.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, rspeed said:

Good news, everybody! Here's a test release!

Edit: Ugh, hang on. Github is doing something stupid with it because I'm using Large File Storage.

Edit 2: All fixed!

Nice work! I personally don't mind that you didn't include the stock variants. the PJ parts are so much better looking.

20 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Little confused, I thought you were going to make them variants? This still adds new parts.

I think you may have misunderstood. The goal was simply to update the mod so that the bare and boattail were variants of a single part. Making both of them act as variants of the stock engines may not even be feasible. I have a tentative plan to add a ModuleManager config so that they'll replace the stock parts, but that's still not quite what you're looking for. *shrug*

2 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

@rspeed Hey Rspeed! Can I ask you to open a dedicated topic for your overhaul, so that descriptions and [ license stuff ] is proper? :) 
I would gladly add your project to [ porkjet legacy topic ], if you don't mind. :)

Thanks!

Absolutely. I still have a few fixes and tweaks I want to make before creating a proper thread (plus adding it to Spacedock/CKAN/etc.). By in the meantime feel free to share the current version to those who would be interested.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:53 PM, rspeed said:

I think you may have misunderstood. The goal was simply to update the mod so that the bare and boattail were variants of a single part. Making both of them act as variants of the stock engines may not even be feasible. I have a tentative plan to add a ModuleManager config so that they'll replace the stock parts, but that's still not quite what you're looking for. *shrug*

Absolutely. I still have a few fixes and tweaks I want to make before creating a proper thread (plus adding it to Spacedock/CKAN/etc.). By in the meantime feel free to share the current version to those who would be interested.

Man.. You're a wizard! I've done some work on making MM patches to be used with PatchManager to allow end-users to simply click to select options they want (such as upgrades and to replace or add the parts). Due to ADD I'm a bit unreliable in managing focus to finish stuff I started, but I'd love to (try) help out if there are specific patches you'd like written.

By the way: The following MM patch works fine for replacing the stock parts with the new parts. Might need some editing of names if you've changed those, but that's all there should be to it.

Edited by Jognt

Something whacky seems to be happening with the Pug model under 1.4.3. when mounted under a tank with a decoupler under it (normal setup for rockets) the engine is slightly offset from the stack and the shroud is screwed up.

are others seeing this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.