Space Race

17 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Just a suggestion: what do you think about rearranging the first post? You could order the entries by number of launches instead of planets.

There is a reason why I structured the leaderboard in that way, I wanted the players to focus more on landing (and coming back to Kerbin) on very difficult planets in the fewest possible launches instead of reaching lots of planets in two launches.

2 hours ago, CairoJack said:

There is a reason why I structured the leaderboard in that way, I wanted the players to focus more on landing (and coming back to Kerbin) on very difficult planets in the fewest possible launches instead of reaching lots of planets in two launches.

I understand, but after seeing @ManEatingApe's impressive first launch, I'm afraid that the answer for everything except eve might be 2 (with return). Moho might be hard too, I don't know, would have to test.

Edited by Kergarin

5 hours ago, Kergarin said:

I understand, but after seeing @ManEatingApe's impressive first launch, I'm afraid that the answer for everything except eve might be 2 (with return). Moho might be hard too, I don't know, would have to test.

This looks like a fun challenge! And although I agree that @ManEatingApe has already swept the field of low-hanging fruit, there is plenty yet to be done, especially in the return category. Those should be a whole lot harder!

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, ManEatingApe said:

Moho is 5,000 m/s dV from Kerbin absolute best case 

Naah, you can get there for way cheaper than that. @metaphor did it for only 1800m/s from LKO  to reach low orbit, and I once did it for maybe 3km/s, just by using an Eve slingshot to do the plane change and get to a Moho-tangent orbit. Of course setting all that up without the maneuver node editor would be next to impossible, so I don't know how many launches it would take to unlock that...

@herbal space program Long time no see! 

10 hours ago, herbal space program said:

Naah, you can get there for way cheaper than that. @metaphor did it for only 1800m/s from LKO  to reach low orbit, and I once did it for maybe 3km/s, just by using an Eve slingshot to do the plane change and get to a Moho-tangent orbit. Of course setting all that up without the maneuver node editor would be next to impossible, so I don't know how many launches it would take to unlock that...

I stand corrected! 1,800 m/s is impressive, the number of gravity assists must have been terrifying :o

3,000 m/s puts you well in the realms of possibility for a return journey with the primitive tech available.

10 hours ago, herbal space program said:

Of course setting all that up without the maneuver node editor would be next to impossible, so I don't know how many launches it would take to unlock that...

World Firsts awards and the standard contracts give you enough cash to unlock manoeuvre nodes once you reach LKO on the second mission. Just switch back to Space Centre, unlock and you're all set!

Edited by ManEatingApe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.