[1.8.1 - 1.12.2] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.29.5 Release Thread

FreeThinker

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Certainly not. In fact if you had followed the development tread you would have noticed I'm close to release

pr3bdSH.png

But instead op putting it as yet another part in the KSPIE part catalog to be forgotten, I intend to make it into a stand alone mod which can interact with KSPIE when installed

Oh cool! I'm definitely excited to see this released! I guess it's probably a good idea to follow the development thread for KSPIE.

Version 1.19.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2018-06-23

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.4
  • Included new PhotonSail plugin, which reintroduces the SolarSail with improved realism and ability to be propelled by Beamed power
  • Added Replaced hard coded Field Strength modifiers by configurable modifiers
  • Fixed Magnetic Field Strength initialization (credits by Jumberjack)
Edited by FreeThinker

Caution - SolarWindArrayCollector is missing in this release. I had two 11-million+ kerbodollar craft whisked out of existence after upgrade (savegame backed up, so no permanent damage). Be cautious when upgrading if you're using this part in your builds. I'm *guessing* this is an oversight, since removing the part isn't mentioned in the changelog.

Also, the atmospheric scoops continue to be missing from the tech tree (this has been the case for a number of releases), though the parts exist and work, but it will prevent loading of ships constructed with it in career, since there's no way to research/buy the part. Not sure if this is intentional (I think the 'atmospheric processing' functionality of the refrigerator units renders the scoop somewhat obsolete?), but if not, it's easily fixed by filling in the TechRequired and Category fields in the scoops' configs. I use aerodynamicSystems/Aero, since that's where Karbonite's scoops live.

As a small note, I absolutely love KSPIe, but I don't know any other mod that causes craft deletion after point upgrades to the degree that KSPIe does. It'd be nice to have some kind of warning about parts being renamed/removed. :)

Edited by TheOrqwithVagrant

57 minutes ago, TheOrqwithVagrant said:

Caution - SolarWindArrayCollector is missing in this release. I had two 11-million+ kerbodollar craft whisked out of existence after upgrade (savegame backed up, so no permanent damage). Be cautious when upgrading if you're using this part in your builds. I'm *guessing* this is an oversight, since removing the part isn't mentioned in the changelog.

Also, the atmospheric scoops continue to be missing from the tech tree (this has been the case for a number of releases), though the parts exist and work, but it will prevent loading of ships constructed with it in career, since there's no way to research/buy the part. Not sure if this is intentional (I think the 'atmospheric processing' functionality of the refrigerator units renders the scoop somewhat obsolete?), but if not, it's easily fixed by filling in the TechRequired and Category fields in the scoops' configs. I use aerodynamicSystems/Aero, since that's where Karbonite's scoops live.

As a small note, I absolutely love KSPIe, but I don't know any other mod that causes craft deletion after point upgrades to the degree that KSPIe does. It'd be nice to have some kind of warning about parts being renamed/removed. :)

The SolarWindArrayCollector  was obsolete  and is replaced by the magnetic scoop quite some time ago, but you are right I should have warned before deleting the part that served as a proof of concept.

The atmospheric scoop part is planned to return, but this time with the same isru processing partmodule allowing all at once scooping, so it will be able to achieve the same like it did, but better.

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

@FreeThinker

Hi, I have a new question. My question is about the IFS Cryogenic Tank (CT2503), part name CT2503.

These tanks are Cryogenic, meaning that they hold a gas in its liquid state. By use of a slider the user can alter the ratio of liquid to gas.

My question is, which module and key pair(s) would I need to edit if I wanted to write a patch that altered the rate at which a resource is transformed from the liquid state to a gaseous state?

The reason I ask is this, I have some engines / thrusters that use Ec and Xeon. The Xeon is used as a gas. Thus I have a nuclear reactor, cooling for that, CT2503 with liquid Xeon, a tank that hold Xeon gas and the engines.

The problem I am having is that the engines are starved of Xeon Gas. This is because despite having the slider all the way over to Gas in CT2503, the engines use it quicker than the liquid is converted to gas.

Now there may be a number of things that relate to the rate of change from liquid to gas. Firstly there may be an Ec cost. That might need to be increased if the rate is increased. But in relation to that there is also the concept that the tank is cryogenic, so a reduction in Ec used for cooling may increase the rate of change all by itself.

I think I know enough to be able to write a patch, but I have failed to locate a config file that holds information relating to this rate of change. Hence me asking here.

3 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

My question is, which module and key pair(s) would I need to edit if I wanted to write a patch that altered the rate at which a resource is transformed from the liquid state to a gaseous state?

This question should have been asked in the IFS thread but I'm going to answer anyway

The PartModule that you want to modify was designed specifically to allow easy is called InterstellarResourceConverter

MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarResourceConverter
		primaryResourceNames = LqdXenon
		secondaryResourceNames = XenonGas
		maxPowerPrimary = 10
		maxPowerSecondary = 10
		primaryConversionEnergyCost = 95.586
		secondaryConversionEnergyCost = 17.2958 // 108.099 * 0.16
	}

The rate is controlled by a combination of ConversionEnergyCost and maxPower. ConversionEnergyCost is the amount of energy cost to convert 1 kg to one resource to the other. MaxPower is the variable you probably want to modify, as it allows the converter to have higher capacity. Notice, because a IFS tank contains a separate   InterstellarResourceConverter for every conversion it, it is important to target the correct PartModule based on the primaryResourceNames. 

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

This question should have been asked in the IFS thread but I'm going to answer anyway

The PartModule that you want to modify was designed specifically to allow easy is called InterstellarResourceConverter

MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarResourceConverter
		primaryResourceNames = LqdXenon
		secondaryResourceNames = XenonGas
		maxPowerPrimary = 10
		maxPowerSecondary = 10
		primaryConversionEnergyCost = 95.586
		secondaryConversionEnergyCost = 17.2958 // 108.099 * 0.16
	}

The rate is controlled by a combination of ConversionEnergyCost and maxPower. ConversionEnergyCost is the amount of energy cost to convert 1 kg to one resource to the other. MaxPower is the variable you probably want to modify, as it allows the converter to have higher capacity. Notice, because a IFS tank contains a separate   InterstellarResourceConverter for every conversion it, it is important to target the correct PartModule based on the primaryResourceNames. 

My apologies for using the wrong thread. Many thanks for the super quick reply. I have currently modified my craft to use lots of CT2500, in order to do a quick in game test.

Working code;

Spoiler

@PART[CT250?]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarResourceConverter]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:FINAL

{
    @MODULE[InterstellarResourceConverter]:HAS[#primaryResourceNames[LqdXenon]]
    {
        %MYMMmaxPowerMul = 10        // create variable my_mm maxPower Multiplier 1.0 = same as stock IFS

@maxPowerPrimary *= #$MYMMmaxPowerMul$
        @maxPowerSecondary *= #$MYMMmaxPowerMul$

!MYMMmaxPowerMul            // delete variable
    }
}

Edited by Apaseall

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, FreeThinker said:

Download Version 1.19.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 from here

Released on 2018-08-04

• Compiled Against KSP 1.4.5
  • Added Atmospheric Particle Scoop (requires KarbonitePlus install)
  • Fixed RCS 's exhaust animation

Thanks for putting an atmospheric scoop back in @FreeThinker!  I was wondering why I could not figure out how to collect fuel around Sonnah :lol:.

23 hours ago, Krik said:

Hello, I can not find in the technology tree a detail of the "Atmospheric Scoop" although the mod is installed and judging by the wiki still exists. https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Atmospheric-Scoop Tell me, please, where it is.

I think that wiki page is out of date and those specific scoops were removed some time ago.  There is a new scoop found under Experimental Science called "Atmospheric Particle Scoop."  Also note that the patch notes say you must have KarbonitePlus installed (I deleted the parts from the KarbonitePlus folder because I was not interested in Karbonite engines).

6 hours ago, Uberns said:

Quick question. I already have USI Konstruction. Thus I have the USI folder UmbraSpaceIndustries. Do I need to just copy in the folder called KarbonitePlus? Or do I need the other folders. Like you atm I am not interested in any more parts like engines etc that run off Karbonite. Ta.

2 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Quick question. I already have USI Konstruction. Thus I have the USI folder UmbraSpaceIndustries. Do I need to just copy in the folder called KarbonitePlus? Or do I need the other folders. Like you atm I am not interested in any more parts like engines etc that run off Karbonite. Ta.

If the other folders are missing, then you need to add them as well.  They contain files that USI uses for all of his mods.  Also (just in case you dont know this) if you copy the UmbraSpaceIndustries folder into GameData, it will not overwrite the existing UmbraSpaceIndustries.  Instead it will add any missing contents to it and prompt you about overwriting any duplicate files inside.

The way I do it is to copy all of the folders into the GameData folder.  When it hits a file that already exists, the computer asks me what to do and I tell it to skip the file.  USI is really good about making sure all his mods use the same version of the common files.  So you are probably safe to do the same as I did as long as your other USI mods are up to date.

I removed the unwanted parts by going into the Karbonite and KarbonitePlus folders and deleting the contents of the Parts folder.

4 minutes ago, Uberns said:

I removed the unwanted parts by going into the Karbonite and KarbonitePlus folders and deleting the contents of the Parts folder.

Ah. Right. So I will add Karbonite, KarbonitePlus, Kontainers and ReactorPack, despite only wanting stuff that I need in order to get this mod to allow me to use some scoops. Bit overkill.

I am playing Galileo's Planet Pack @ 10.625x rescale with RO/RP1, and the game freezes as soon as it starts loading the parts from this mod. Any idea why? A twitch buddy also plays on GPP but no RO/Rp1 or rescale, and the parts show up for him and load just fine. I would think any issues I'd run in to are just the parts needing to be changed to the tech tree nodes in RP-1, which I could (tediously, lol) do manually by editing each part config, but the game won't even load the parts at all. It does NOT crash when loading the parts, but just stops indefinitely at that step during the loading screen. 

Here is a imgur link to my gamedata folder without the WarpPlugin folder in /GameData/ like it was when this happened (needed my stable install back):

https://i.imgur.com/ahti5bC.png

Edited by sjsharks39
bad link

On 8/14/2018 at 9:20 AM, Krik said:

Hello, I can not find in the technology tree a detail of the "Atmospheric Scoop" although the mod is installed and judging by the wiki still exists. https://github.com/FractalUK/KSPInterstellar/wiki/Atmospheric-Scoop Tell me, please, where it is.

Apparently the part is obsoleted, but it still works, and you can restore it to the tech tree by filling in the techRequired and category fields in the part.cfg.

Just unlocked antimatter tech for the first time in a career playthrough - god DAMN does that positron reactor kick butt for propulsion. I wasn't prepared for quite that big a jump in performance, and the 'propulsive core' of the ship accelerated so hard it literally just shot up *through* the ship, destroying all parts above it and blowing the whole thing up quite spectacularly. Good thing it was an unmanned test launch...and that KSPIe doesn't 'model' the result of an antimatter containment breach with 'realistic' results yet... XD

3 hours ago, TheOrqwithVagrant said:

Just unlocked antimatter tech for the first time in a career playthrough - god DAMN does that positron reactor kick butt for propulsion. I wasn't prepared for quite that big a jump in performance, and the 'propulsive core' of the ship accelerated so hard it literally just shot up *through* the ship, destroying all parts above it and blowing the whole thing up quite spectacularly. Good thing it was an unmanned test launch...and that KSPIe doesn't 'model' the result of an antimatter containment breach with 'realistic' results yet... XD

The MJ2 function to "limit acceleration to <X> m/s/s" is very handy for this :)  I usually limit to 30 m/s/s except when carrying civilians on vacation or on a cruise to an offworld starbase or colony... usually try to limit it to 15 m/s/s for those guys :)